Is Groupon a scam?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Is Groupon a scam?

Post by dovetail » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

I've good experience with groupon so far. I bought 2 Soopadooba Beanbags at $156 each (original $269). The quality great. Super comfie.

Also bought 2 Mophie Juicepack Plus. It's a alternate battery source for the iphone4. Wanted to get them in DEC10 for xmas for ds and dh but cost around $150 each to buy online from states. Groupon deal was $56 each, it was a great bargain!

All the items came in well and service was good.

kayemoss
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kayemoss » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:12 pm

So far, so good on the vouchers i purchased from them. Only thing is the merchant might hard sell their services.

Sunshine lady
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Sunshine lady » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm

so far was good for f&b deals in the past year but now very sianz.

sweetiepie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by sweetiepie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 am

Bought some f&b coupons the first time. After trying out, never think of doing it again. The steamboat served exclude seafoods, must top up to full price for adults n children.

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by micollh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:00 am

i bought few of this canvas photo 30cmx 30cm in Nov 2011 vouvher, and i've sent the photo following the instructions, no confirmation and so on, i emailed them they said will feedback within 72 hours, no reply..did that few times.. same.. i even email to groupon to feedback on ther service.. no reply from groupon too.. so i not sure when will i get my photo.. it says 4 to 6 weeks.. finger cross

vicki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by vicki » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:33 am

Bought Groupons a few times (for the reputable companies) and had no problem thus far. If i rem correctly, my purchases were:-
1) 4 MPH $10 for $20 voucher
2) Some Waraku vouchers
4) 5 Pizza Hut vouchers (for the half px pasta) and most recently,
5) 8 Coffee Club $10 for $20 vouchers

Have used everything without any problem...

So i guess - just gotto be very selective of the merchant offering the deal. :)

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Oppsgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:20 pm

micollh wrote:i bought few of this canvas photo 30cmx 30cm in Nov 2011 vouvher, and i've sent the photo following the instructions, no confirmation and so on, i emailed them they said will feedback within 72 hours, no reply..did that few times.. same.. i even email to groupon to feedback on ther service.. no reply from groupon too.. so i not sure when will i get my photo.. it says 4 to 6 weeks.. finger cross
Same here... No news. Only sent 1 photo when bought 6. Quality also not good for the only photo received.

So far still chasing for the rest of the 5 photos. No response at all. Should we go CASE or what?

This is the first time got such problem... so far the rest of the deals still good.

friendship
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Is Groupon a scam?

Post by friendship » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 am

I only tried the F&B from certain establishments that I am familiar with.

OK leh, bought from Groupon $7.50 voucher can buy $15 worth of meal. Definitely if purchase above $15 has to top up the difference. That was 6 mths ago.

2 weeks ago, just bought similar value from different F&B eateries.

never try 'spa', go there the person will ask you to sign this package that package. If don't sign, their face change to 'black'.

catwee06
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by catwee06 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I bought some Brands chicken essences with Groupon voucher last year worth near a 50% discount. Since it is a reputable merchant and my family drinks brands chicken essences alot, it was quite a good buy.

i had bought some facials and spa vouchers too. same experiences of difficult to book appointment, have to top up a certain amount to get a better treatment cream and hardselling. but agreed this is not groupon's fault.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Oppsgal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:39 pm

No response when feedback! Buy at your own risk :?

:sweat: So what should consumers do if purchases not receive? :shrug: