What type of handphone plan is cheaper for student usage?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

What type of handphone plan is cheaper for student usage?

Postby soka » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:00 pm

First time getting one. No idea what type of handphone plan is cheaper for student usage and need by next week. Any one can share?Tks :?

soka
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What type of handphone plan is cheaper for student usage

Postby allcc6 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:35 pm

soka wrote:First time getting one. No idea what type of handphone plan is cheaper for student usage and need by next week. Any one can share?Tks :?

My DD has a low usage & has been using a StarHub prepaid card for >1 year +; will buy a top-up card (I paid $16.50 for $18-value) every 6 mths.

allcc6
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby soka » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 pm

allcc6 wrote:
soka wrote:First time getting one. No idea what type of handphone plan is cheaper for student usage and need by next week. Any one can share?Tks :?

My DD has a low usage & has been using a StarHub prepaid card for >1 year +; will buy a top-up card (I paid $16.50 for $18-value) every 6 mths.

Receiving SMS also charge right. Secondary school pupils has many in n out SMS. Dun no can last three months or not.

soka
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pacetone » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:08 pm

depending on your child usage, is he/she a "heavy user" for sms, etc?

I'm paying the cheapest of $10/- pre-paid from Singtel for my kids for simple usage of calling/receiving and occassionally sms only.

pacetone
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alfretztay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:23 pm

I believe that it really depends on the usage, mainly of which are calls, smses, data transmissions and internet connections. My daughter has been using a student plan with Starhub and I, till now, have not heard of any complaint from her. Alternatively, you could just find it out by yourself by visiting the various outlets of the three main service providers, namely Singtel, Starhub and M!. As they are keen competitors, I think that they would surely welcome you/your child as one additional subscriber/customer.

alfretztay
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Strparent » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:03 pm

soka wrote:Receiving SMS also charge right. Secondary school pupils has many in n out SMS. Dun no can last three months or not.

For prepaid, incoming sms is free. My Pr Sch DD used prepaid and its fine, mostly are used on sms.

But for sec sch, I think prepaid would be insufficient. If you feel that a separate plan by itself is too much, I recommend you get a supplementary line which is tied to your or spouse line. You can share the entitlement, get a different number, and even get extra sms for those teenage finger monsters. All the telcos have similar plans, and starhub even offer sharing of data, on top of sms and calls.

below for yr comparisons of supplementary lines,
Singtel ( $10.70 ) cheapest but no data sharing like Starhub ( ard $14 ). M1 ( $12.84 ) gives a lot of free sms and free M1 to M1 calls.

Strparent
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby soka » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:51 am

These informations from all have given me a guide for shopping today :grphug: :thankyou:
prepare for :moneyflies: :moneyflies: not one but two before comparing "Why he has I dun have?????"

soka
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ronseng » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:11 am

Is there special rates for primary one kids for mobile plans?

Also can they apply for broadband (home) as well ?

ronseng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Money Matters