What kind of mobile phone to get for kids?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

What kind of mobile phone to get for kids?

Postby TeacherTutorEducator » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:41 am

Seriously I don't think teenagers should be using iPhone at this age. A basic phone to contact parents will suffice. What do you think?

TeacherTutorEducator
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: What kind of mobile phone to get for kids?

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 am

A basic HP is enough for everyone who just use SMS & make calls. As kids are more IT savvy now, a basic HP no longer satisfy them. I personally feel that it's ok to buy iPhone for kids if they have self control & are responsible teenagers.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby quirkymum » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:58 pm

My kids say if no iPhone, then can they have iPad? I think iPhone is fine esp if they are in upper pri. It is always a form of reward. When a child gets a basic phone, he feels its more of a ball and chain around him, to check on him where he is but an iPhone can be used to reward them and it makes them feel loved. Of course we do not want to spoil our kids, but for many kids, receiving gifts is one of their main love languages.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:17 am

Is the pre-paid type recommended? Am thinking of making my dd pay for the pre-paid cards when she goes to sec sch too.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:53 am

My DS and DD use basic phone with prepaid card to bring to school although they have their own iphone.
Last edited by peterch on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 am

peterch wrote:My DS and DD use basic phone with prepaid card to bring to school although they have their own iphone.

Do you pay for the prepaid card? What is your budget/limit per month for a sec sch kid?
Thank-you.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
peterch wrote:My DS and DD use basic phone with prepaid card to bring to school although they have their own iphone.

Do you pay for the prepaid card? What is your budget/limit per month for a sec sch kid?
Thank-you.

Of course we pay :evil:

They are still in P level. Usually I top up $10 and it last a few months as they only call or text whenever needed.

Sec School kid must be a different one. :imanangel: Maybe it is cheaper if you get the youth plan for them. CMIIW

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby River » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:34 am

I have a colleague who will not buy handphones for his children. He believes they should buy themselves when they become late teens and have some income through holiday or part-time jobs.

River
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:10 am

It will be another debate as whether having a hp is a need or want. If it is a need, parents pay. Otherwise, the kid pays.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby River » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:27 am

starlight1968sg wrote:It will be another debate as whether having a hp is a need or want. If it is a need, parents pay. Otherwise, the kid pays.

Agreed. Guess my colleague treated it as a want. He also wanted to limit the children's access to undersirable social/media influences until they become mature enough to handle.

River
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Money Matters