Should run a tuition centre?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Should run a tuition centre?

Postby prettycure » Wed May 23, 2012 10:37 pm

I am contemplating of running a tuition centre.Anybody has the experience,can tell me the pros and cons of this idea.Is franchising a programme ,a feasible idea and cutting down my profit margins?

prettycure
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Should run a tuition centre?

Postby meinteel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Franchising helps in the sense that you can get an instant brand name to your tuition centre so finding students aka paying clients would be alot easier. However, franchising is no guarantee of success and is extremely costly. Most franchise would have to pay about 100k-200k upfront (excludes employment, consider 1 tutor = $3k monthly, 5 tutors = $15k monthly) and 10-30% of revenue (NOT profit).

Tuition centres are recession proof. Education is always one of the most important priority in Singapore. However, it is a service industry. The tutors which you engage are would play a pivotal role in the rise of your centre. Marketing efforts cannot be spared either. Running a centre is very different from running a tuition service (solo-treprenuer). There is also the curriculum planning! Tuition centres can be highly profitable but also very competitive. Many centres can stay barely afloat while some lucky others who managed to build up a brand name would really earn alot.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby whitecorp » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Just don't simply jump into things. Lots of planning will have to be done, which include securing a teaching facility, considering potential cash flows/debts and possible sources of financing in the short/long terms. Not to mention dedicating blocks of time to strategic marketing, branding and quality control.

And above all, carefully creating the means which you can employ to build a lasting, solid reputation in the education business. Something which can hardly be accomplished overnight.

Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Neosan60 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:45 am

i suggest u do private tutoring first, build a name and reputation for yourself, then decide if u want to register a company and hire people.

Neosan60
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby orlandospito30 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 pm

I heard its difficult, especially when u have no reputation at all. Nowadays, I think parents would go for facts and real results. better if you build up ur name first by doing private.

orlandospito30
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Tuitionpassion » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:00 am

If besides being a good tutor who loves teaching, you want to explore having a business, franchising gives you an immediate brand name and a much better chance of succeeding in the long term as statistics show. Some franchise fees may be very high but I know that Mind Centre is franchising at a very reasonable fee rate. Check out their website at mindcentre.com.sg

Tuitionpassion
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Homefree » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm

i think essentially regradless of name of company at least for me i look very much at the teacher, normally give a tuition centre a set amount of time and see my children like and got improve or not, let me honest so many tuition centre just change only not very difficult.

So in my opinion, quality teachers is of utmost importance

Homefree
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Money Matters