Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi. I'm thinking of retiring at Iskandar (in 20+ years time) so we can stretch our money further but I am concerned about safety and facilities. What do you think of Iskandar?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby TravelMummy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:53 pm

I thought about it too but concluded Penang might be a safer bet? Singaporeans will be sitting ducks in a gated community in Iskandar, no? Can be scary if things go wrong. The johor-rians don't seem to be buying where we buy....

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:28 pm
Total Likes: 32


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:40 pm

I think that's coz we always look out for amenities and proximity to SG and willing to pay for these while they probably do not value it as much.

20 yrs later is quite a long time...but chances is that we are likely to be chase out of our country by the high cost of living. :sad:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14662
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby icy_mama » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:44 pm

ngl2010, why 20yrs later? that seemed like too long a time. many things will change between now and 20yrs later. imho, 10yrs would be an easier timeline for planning.

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11026
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:24 pm
Total Likes: 29


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby Puzz...zzle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Iskandar Malaysia ( Nusajaya) is safe. Not that Johorean don't buy, its because most of them can't afford to pay the properties price there now. But at recent condo launch, there are increasing numbers of Johorean that bought the project -those who see the potential of Iskandar, not in 20 years time BUT in another 5 years time.
Iskandar Nusajaya is a new city of Johor , its safe. We have friends living in Iskandar now, mostly Singaporean & Expatriates whose children study there. My hubby travel there almost 3-5 times a week, we do go during weekend too. Its safe!

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:11 am
Total Likes: 2



Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:30 pm

TravelMummy wrote:I thought about it too but concluded Penang might be a safer bet? Singaporeans will be sitting ducks in a gated community in Iskandar, no? Can be scary if things go wrong. The johor-rians don't seem to be buying where we buy....

Hi TravelMummy, why Penang? Can share your consideration for Penang? We are thinking of Iskandar because it is near Singapore so it will be quite close if we need to go to hospital here, etc.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi icy_mama, 10 years later DH will still be working. I don't want him to retire early 'cos he will only kacau me at home :frustrated: We are not buying now but will look see look see first.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby Puzz...zzle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I think Penang is too far from Singapore. Its a nice place for short term holidays but there are nothing much you can do if you are going to stay long for retirement.
Iskandar just nice, away from Singapore yet you can travel back anytime you wish to catct up with friends and relative in Singapore.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:11 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Puzz...zzle wrote:Iskandar Malaysia ( Nusajaya) is safe. Not that Johorean don't buy, its because most of them can't afford to pay the properties price there now. But at recent condo launch, there are increasing numbers of Johorean that bought the project -those who see the potential of Iskandar, not in 20 years time BUT in another 5 years time.
Iskandar Nusajaya is a new city of Johor , its safe. We have friends living in Iskandar now, mostly Singaporean & Expatriates whose children study there. My hubby travel there almost 3-5 times a week, we do go during weekend too. Its safe!

Do you mean the Johoreans are buying for short-term investment (5 years)?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Retiring at Iskandar Malaysia

Postby Puzz...zzle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Puzz...zzle wrote:Iskandar Malaysia ( Nusajaya) is safe. Not that Johorean don't buy, its because most of them can't afford to pay the properties price there now. But at recent condo launch, there are increasing numbers of Johorean that bought the project -those who see the potential of Iskandar, not in 20 years time BUT in another 5 years time.
Iskandar Nusajaya is a new city of Johor , its safe. We have friends living in Iskandar now, mostly Singaporean & Expatriates whose children study there. My hubby travel there almost 3-5 times a week, we do go during weekend too. Its safe!

Do you mean the Johoreans are buying for short-term investment (5 years)?


I mean now they can see many new developments are going to be ready in these 1-5 years time, so they started to buy.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:11 am
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Money Matters