Do you disclose how much you earn to your siblings?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Do you disclose how much you earn to your siblings?

Postby rains » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:20 am

I am just wondering how many of you have no qualms about letting your siblings know how much you earn. Or have you disclosed it and realised you shouldn't?

I just realised that I am the only one among my siblings to be candid about my salary and feel foolish about being so honest when none of them is willing to disclose theirs. It has since led to some unhappiness. I had thought that there's nothing to hide among sisters but apparently money matter is a sensitive topic even among 'close' sisters as they profess us to be.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Do you disclose how much you earn to your siblings?

Postby Imami » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:46 am

Erm... I don't feel comfortable sharing salary details with my siblings and my father. While my siblings no longer ask me, My father is quite kaypo in this subject. I could understand if he is just curious but the thing is, he doesn't keep the information to himself. Both my parents equate earning power to success in life, to a certain extent.

As for my siblings, when I first started out, they did ask me. They just wanted to make sure that I was doing fine and paid reasonably. I was many years younger and to them, I would always be the little sister. Years had passed and they no longer asked. I don't see a reason to reveal my salary information anymore, other than how many months of bonus I am getting. For my eldest brother, he is earning much more (the combine of mine and my second brother's pay is still lesser than his). Nothing good to compare with him.

As for my second brother, he was not earning a lot so why bother to compare and hurt his feelings (I am earning slightly more than twice his salary)?

Once every few years, my mum would ask about my salary(any pay increment?). I would share with her but remind her that she needs to keep that piece of information confidential.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

--
Last edited by iFirefly on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:04 pm

My sibling has an inkling of my salary as the range is public information due to research papers from the headhunters. She also receives cold calls from local headhunters to re-locate back to Asia, hence she is very familiar with my pay and benefits.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Ignorance is bliss. I always feel its not necessary to reveal n to find out others. It will always lead to comparisons n unhappiness amongst all. This is typical human nature.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ptb7476 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:18 pm

nope we dont disclosed to sibling or parent ...i know my mom hate it but too bad cos her thinking is those who earned more most pay more regardless of commitment ...

by looking at our spending we more or less can guess each other income lolz and what is the point of knowing...

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:21 pm

No, I dont. I also dont know exactly how much dh earns.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:31 pm

of course not...after the first job, no need to share with siblings anymore:) More so after each one has own family... But u can roughly tell from the type of property/no. of properties/car(s)/annual hols (JB or USA?) and enrichments*no. of children per family...kekeke...

branded handbags, shoes, diamond rings, etc. not accurate indication btw ^_^

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:58 pm

jetsetter wrote:of course not...after the first job, no need to share with siblings anymore:) More so after each one has own family... But u can roughly tell from the type of property/no. of properties/car(s)/annual hols (JB or USA?) and enrichments*no. of children per family...kekeke...

Haha.. ... :lol:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wonderm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:09 pm

jetsetter wrote:of course not...after the first job, no need to share with siblings anymore:) More so after each one has own family... But u can roughly tell from the type of property/no. of properties/car(s)/annual hols (JB or USA?) and enrichments*no. of children per family...kekeke...

:rotflmao:

Now I know why some people buy these things, even when they don't earn much. :laugh:

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters