On the average, how much do you spend on DC a mth

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

On the average, how much do you spend on DC a mth

Postby NigelTKM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Fellow KiasuParents, just to check with you all.

How much do you normally spend on your DC every month. For their enrichment classes, travelling/food expenses, personal development classes and the likes?

At which age are the total expenses the most? I find that once they graduate from sec sch, they tend to be more financial conscious and budget alot.

NigelTKM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: On the average, how much do you spend on DC a mth

Postby The Best Dad » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Financially speaking, as your kids grow older so does your expense.

The Best Dad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby NigelTKM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Indeed, so as a rough guide. I am trying to figure out how much do the parents have to pump in to help provide their child a proper and secure road ahead at each level in their life.

Hopefully this thread will achieve several inputs for us to get a good gauge on the situation out there.

NigelTKM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby insider » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Think kids cost me the most when they were in preschools before tertiary.

When both elder kids in preschools - fees at $500/month each. No need pocket money but drank milk, ate 三餐, bought toys, etc. Estimate about $300/child per month. Youngest son school fee is 'free' since he attended my own school and so maintaining him is about $300/month.

When all were in primary schools, pocket money was/is about average $30/month. Elder two kids walked to school and so no transport cost. Youngest fetched by dad so far and so transport cost is 'embeded'. Monthly 'maintenance' charges are also about $300/month/child, incl school fees.

When both elder kids in sec school, pocket money was about average $120 per month (incl their 'entertainment' expenses). Youngest son is likely to get $5/day when he hits sec schools. Transport bus / MRT to school / play about $30/month. Monthly maintenance is about $350/month, incl school fees and handphone charges.

When both elder kids in poly, pocket money was about $180 for daughter and $350 for son at their final year though both started off with about $150/month (incl their entertainment expenses. Different amount subsequently coz daughter almost everyday returned for dinner and son stayed out for dinner). School fees about $200/month. Transport about $50/month. Monthly maintenance about $350/month incl handphone charges. Both work/worked during their poly holidays to earn extra pocket money.

Now daughter in UK Uni, cost is about $5000/month, incl fees and everything.

Above exclude family holidays, outings, insurance, festival costs of more expensive meals and gifts, and their clothing (that they don't need many and so don't have many. I thrive well with the principle of 'Simplicity is Beauty'.). I 'saved' on bare minimum amount of tuition and enrichment, electronic gadgets and games, expensive toys, etc.

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy OnABudget » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Oh I plan to get those monthly bus n trian concession thingy for him as I forsee it be cheaper then topping his card n 5 per day for school so plus n minus around 400 for him. For dd is less then 150 a month as she gets 3 pwr day for school n dh sends her.

mummy OnABudget
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby NigelTKM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 pm

To Insider: That is a very real thought out plan! A very good gauge for us! However does your kids ask you for extra cash sometimes when they are low on budget as they want to go out more? So generally the higher cost will be loaded on their early stages?

To Mummy onabudget: I agree, the concession is definitely better! Sometimes they might want to go out and it helps alot! I remember it was around 4 rides a day for MRT last time and unlimited for bus rides. Not too sure if it is the same now.

NigelTKM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kangshao » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:19 pm

insider wrote:Think kids cost me the most when they were in preschools before tertiary.

When both elder kids in preschools - fees at $500/month each. No need pocket money but drank milk, ate 三餐, bought toys, etc. Estimate about $300/child per month. Youngest son school fee is 'free' since he attended my own school and so maintaining him is about $300/month.

When all were in primary schools, pocket money was/is about average $30/month. Elder two kids walked to school and so no transport cost. Youngest fetched by dad so far and so transport cost is 'embeded'. Monthly 'maintenance' charges are also about $300/month/child, incl school fees.

When both elder kids in sec school, pocket money was about average $120 per month (incl their 'entertainment' expenses). Youngest son is likely to get $5/day when he hits sec schools. Transport bus / MRT to school / play about $30/month. Monthly maintenance is about $350/month, incl school fees and handphone charges.

When both elder kids in poly, pocket money was about $180 for daughter and $350 for son at their final year though both started off with about $150/month (incl their entertainment expenses. Different amount subsequently coz daughter almost everyday returned for dinner and son stayed out for dinner). School fees about $200/month. Transport about $50/month. Monthly maintenance about $350/month incl handphone charges. Both work/worked during their poly holidays to earn extra pocket money.

Now daughter in UK Uni, cost is about $5000/month, incl fees and everything.

Above exclude family holidays, outings, insurance, festival costs of more expensive meals and gifts, and their clothing (that they don't need many and so don't have many. I thrive well with the principle of 'Simplicity is Beauty'.). I 'saved' on bare minimum amount of tuition and enrichment, electronic gadgets and games, expensive toys, etc.

$5000 / month is no joke. Is it better for parents to sponsor kid's university or better for them to seek their own venture?

For me, I did not have the luxury of sponsored education from my parents. :(

kangshao
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sunset_dae » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm

DC -6 yrs old: childcare -$800 every mth
enrichment classes -$1600
DD - 2 yrs old: childcare -$800 every mth
enrichment class -$300
expenses not inclusive of their food, toys and holiday trips.

I realised expenses getting higher as DC moves up.
In the past hope he quickly move up to Primary school so can cut down
on costly childcare fees. then realised he need to attend enrichment classes to substain the competivenss academic curriculum.

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Yup, it will cost roughly the same from toddler to JC... it's just replacing the items with others. Childcare fees now = extra tuition fees at Pri & Sec = money spent on entertainment, clothes and gadgets as they enter JC/poly (also add inflation).

Think we'll spend the most when they go to uni, esp overseas ones. It's up to you if you want to sponsor them. Many parents do not and the kids take up student loans. But these kids will face a mountain of debt when they start work. That's what my friend experienced.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 pm

bevlin761 wrote:I am trying to figure out how much do the parents have to pump in to help provide their child a proper and secure road ahead at each level in their life.

Every family differs. Its all up to you - whether you can afford n how much you are willing to provide for your children.

There is no proper n secure road for anyone. My advice is to try your best but not necessary to overstretch yourself.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters