Parent Beware : Direct Cariier billling

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Parent Beware : Direct Cariier billling

Postby ahtze » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Disappointment (Parents BEWARE).
Yesterday, I received a handphone bill of $640+ (one mth) for my son's purchase of Fifa points (Android game). I realized that SingTel has allowed my son (sec school age group )'s Android phone to pay for Google Play games & activities thru direct mobile/carrier billing (no longer thru credit card; which of course, I do not disclose to my son). I wish to stress that I had not under any circumstance allow/authorise SingTel to charge Google Pay purchases to my handphone account . I had called Singtel hotline but they are not willing to cancel or reduce the bill.
PS My son's account is registered under my SingTel billing account

Ref: http://info.singtel.com/node/12987

ahtze
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Parent Beware : Direct Cariier billling

Postby scang » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Singtel is one of the shrewd and cunning operator, where they have their mobile app called MySingtel installed on your mobile phone, and in most cases, it can't be uninstalled, and have roaming default turn ON.

This mobile app actually turns on Roaming by default, and it overrides the mobile phone setting of not allowing roaming, or not turning on roaming when overseas.

NOTE the word ROAMING (near the top right), click on it.

I had a recent encounter overseas where my mobile phone, from Day1 when I first bought it, had set the roaming settings as turned off, and never turn on.

However, while overseas, I received an sms from singtel telling me that they will cap data roaming to a certain amount when it exceeded it.

So when I came back, and checked, sure enough, there was a roaming charges of more than $111+ although my phone setting didn't turn on roaming at all.

Upon suspecting and checking the MySingtel mobile app, it was turn on by default, and checking with other family members and friends mobile phone who are also Singtel users, this mobile app, which on most phones can't be deleted, had roaming turn ON by default instead of Off.

I then brought this issue up with Singtel, which then waive the roaming charges.

So all Singtel users, do be aware of turning off the roaming setting in this app, and not just the settings on the phone.

How desperate Singtel can be, just wanting to earn more money from consumer by installing an unstallable mobile app, and turning on a settings to charge and earn more w/o the users knowledge.

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby needtoupdate » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:23 pm

thanks for the warning
How does one stop the default ROAMING? on the Preloaded singtel application?

another Sintel trick i heard is that by offering the Bill Rebate scheme
your current 6 GB contract entitlement is reduce to 2 GB data limit

so beware of any cost savings that will reduce your 6 GB data entitlement

needtoupdate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby scang » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:09 am

needtoupdate wrote:thanks for the warning
How does one stop the default ROAMING? on the Preloaded singtel application?

another Sintel trick i heard is that by offering the Bill Rebate scheme
your current 6 GB contract entitlement is reduce to 2 GB data limit

so beware of any cost savings that will reduce your 6 GB data entitlement

Click on the ROAMING tab, and turn it off.
Default is on.

So you will not get shock bill for data roaming when overseas, or travel near to Malaysia or Indonesia (Batam), due to their stronger Telco signal.

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ahtze » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:18 pm

What if my kids secretly ....... a few dollars a mths.

"SingTel is offering Windows Phone Store carrier billing . M1 will be making Windows Phone Store carrier billing available in the coming weeks. As for StarHub, the telco will offer direct carrier billing for Google Play and Windows Phone Store purchases in Q2 2014."

Ref: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-new ... ses-update

ahtze
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

thanks for letting us know of this, i'll surely warn my friends about it.

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ahtze » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Update
I submitted my case/complaint to gov reach/feedback portal (https://www.reach.gov.sg/) on 16 Dec 2103.

They redirected my case to IDA.
So far IDA managed to get Sintel to hold (freeze) payment (>$600) while they carried out their investigation. IDA informed me via email that they are closely working with SingTel on the matter.

ahtze
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Money Matters