Education Insurance

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Education Insurance

Postby kitty2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 am

Anyone bought the above for your kids?Wonder how much we need to pay monthly or we can just pay a lump sum :?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Education Insurance

Postby Zion Ang » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:36 pm

It really varies depending on how much you will like to accumulate for your child and where you are planning to send your child to for their tiertiary education. A decent amount to set aside for a local university should vary between 300-500 per month I guess. The returns I believe should vary between 3-5% on average…..

Zion Ang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby wickedpork » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 am

there are two kinds in general.. one u can pay monthly from as little as $50 monthly.. then there is another kind u can put in one lump sum only to cash it out later (maybe 5 years or 10 etc.)

u can buzz me if you need more info.. i bought enough insurance and savings/investment so I have basically "educated" myself on this haha. .. i am not an agent so don't worry.. lol

wickedpork
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sparks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 pm

I don't buy such plans as I believe insurance should just be for protection.

Yes, there is lump sum plan & mthly,yearly plans with varying terms to suit your needs.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thiasy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 pm

I do not believe in kids should over rely on parents for $$. Hubby and I paid uni fees ourselves... there are always some financial schemes for education eg scholarship/ bursaries/bank loans where interest commence only after graduation/ CPF...I did buy those 18 yrs edownment plans for my 2 kids, but only a very small sum insured of $20k each. The main bulk of their uni fees, let them pay themselves later on. :)

thiasy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby weilingohwl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:11 am

Is endowment better or DIY RSP investment better?

weilingohwl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:44 pm

weilingohwl wrote:Is endowment better or DIY RSP investment better?

Please note am not working in any financial or its related field.

For endowment, there should be a guaranteed component which you will be assured (unless insurance company kaput) of a specific sum of money when the plan matures.
For DIY RSP investment, the potential gain may be higher but there is no guarantee of this gain when you need the money. You decide on its maturity. So if the market is bearish and when you need the money, you may be better off to purchase an endowment.

Basically, endowment is for "protection", so to speak, DIY RSP is for spare money that you can afford to risk in order to have a chance for bigger gain.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Money Matters