Edusave balance

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Edusave balance

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 am

I am a bit puzzled - I just checked my daughter's Edusave balance and she has a few hundreds there, but none of it is available for use for paying for enrichment. So what is that sum for? MOE's website doesn't seem to explain this. Does anyone know? Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Edusave balance

Postby Jennifer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 am

Printed on the other side of the statement is the scheme general information: uses of funds: can be used for payment of enrichment programmes organised by schools.

When the sch gives out the forms for signing up for enrichment programmes, there will be a colour form for parent/guardian to sign to consent to using Edusave funds to pay for the programme.

Unless this form is signed or there is insufficient Edusave fund, the payment would be via cheques.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am

Edusave Phone Enquiry system tel: 6260 0777

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/edusave/.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeemimi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am

Actually the money can be used for enrichment prog organized by the school. Just that the school admin is sometimes lazy to do the paperwork for edusave deduction. Easier to just collect $ from the students. If u "push" hard enough, the admin may relent.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Actually, I called the phone service. It said that that the balance was $xxx (some fairly big sum), then said that $0 was available for use for enrichment. Which is why I am puzzled! Maybe I should call again - I may have misheard?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:10 am

slmkhoo wrote:Actually, I called the phone service. It said that that the balance was $xxx (some fairly big sum), then said that $0 was available for use for enrichment. Which is why I am puzzled! Maybe I should call again - I may have misheard?

I think its best for you to call them again n clarify the part abt $0 available for enrichment use.

Pls update us as I am also curious as to why it cant be used.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 am

zbear wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Actually, I called the phone service. It said that that the balance was $xxx (some fairly big sum), then said that $0 was available for use for enrichment. Which is why I am puzzled! Maybe I should call again - I may have misheard?

I think its best for you to call them again n clarify the part abt $0 available for enrichment use.

Pls update us as I am also curious as to why it cant be used.

I called the phone service again just to check if I had misheard - I hadn't. I'll call MOE on Monday and try to find out more. Just wondering - could the sum be the EESIS? Would that be credited into the child's account periodically but reserved for school fees? And I wonder why this year's $240 contribution not available for use?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Just spoke with someone in MOE. Apparently I misunderstood the message (or it's not clear). The $0 refers to the fact that I have no claims waiting to be deducted and the whole amount is available for use. I wonder why it's such a big sum? I should have asked but forgot.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 am

I recd the statements for both children this week, was puzzled why elder boy did not rec 2014 contribution. Called the phone enquiry: JC1 n 2 not entitled to govt contribution.

The other PSE account is for polytechnic or university deductions.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:09 am

Jennifer wrote:I recd the statements for both children this week, was puzzled why elder boy did not rec 2014 contribution. Called the phone enquiry: JC1 n 2 not entitled to govt contribution.

The other PSE account is for polytechnic or university deductions.

Oh... I didn't know when the contribution stops... Thanks, Jen.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters