Should investing be left solely to men?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Should investing be left solely to men?

Postby Geraldine Soong » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Although by and large I take charge when it comes to 'controlling' household finances, my husband makes all the decisions for all investment-related matters. However, I believe that women can make good investors too. Don't you agree with the following?
http://money.msn.com/how-to-invest/4-ways-women-make-better-investors

Geraldine Soong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Should investing be left solely to men?

Postby William86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi Geraldine,

have you already started to do investment?

William86
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:22 pm

In my case, I'm only too happy to leave investing to my husband. Maybe I could do a good job at it, but I don't want to! I trust him to be sensible and he does talk things over with me if he wants a sounding board. He understands numbers a lot better than I do.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Actually I firmly believe that two brains are better than one! There are lots of websites about investment to glean info off of, and self-help books that can give you lots of insight and tips about investment to start yourself off. :)

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Geraldine Soong » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 am

I observe that for most of my friends, they either leave it to their husbands or to "fund managers". To them, the subject of investing is too arcane. But having started on these self help books for the past year, I thought it wasn't really that bad. What books do you read and would you recommend?

Geraldine Soong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:51 am

In my family, I am the FM though I am quite clueless on finance.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Geraldine Soong » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:In my family, I am the FM though I am quite clueless on finance.

Haha including investment?

Geraldine Soong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby b2b3m4 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Even hubby agreed that i make a better investor. I'm already doing it, buy more groceries when its on sales (buy when low) and don't buy certain brands of household goods when its at sky high (dun buy when high). However, with space and money contraints, i can't buy too much and perishable do expire too and regardless how costly one still need to eat and stock up on household stuff. I watch the sales and promotions like a hawk and will not buy costly new products without first doing research. For cheaper stuff (penny stocks), we can buy some to try first but if its no good, we take it as a lesson learnt not to buy again....
I am already doing my part in investing (hubby saved lots from the way i do my marketing).
He does his part for the US and SIngapore stocks and shares.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Geraldine Soong » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:33 pm

b2b3m4 wrote:Even hubby agreed that i make a better investor. I'm already doing it, buy more groceries when its on sales (buy when low) and don't buy certain brands of household goods when its at sky high (dun buy when high). However, with space and money contraints, i can't buy too much and perishable do expire too and regardless how costly one still need to eat and stock up on household stuff. I watch the sales and promotions like a hawk and will not buy costly new products without first doing research. For cheaper stuff (penny stocks), we can buy some to try first but if its no good, we take it as a lesson learnt not to buy again....
I am already doing my part in investing (hubby saved lots from the way i do my marketing).

:laugh: do you do hedging (buying into fish futures with the fish monger to 'lock' the price so that the price remains the same and will not fluctuate?) and perform technical analysis by predicting the future price of household products base on moving averages and past trends?

Geraldine Soong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 pm

b2b3m4 wrote:Even hubby agreed that i make a better investor. I'm already doing it, buy more groceries when its on sales (buy when low) and don't buy certain brands of household goods when its at sky high (dun buy when high). However, with space and money contraints, i can't buy too much and perishable do expire too and regardless how costly one still need to eat and stock up on household stuff. I watch the sales and promotions like a hawk and will not buy costly new products without first doing research. For cheaper stuff (penny stocks), we can buy some to try first but if its no good, we take it as a lesson learnt not to buy again....

I like your descriptions "buy when low", "dun buy when high"...
I will try to follow suit, then I CAN become a better FM. :lol:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters