Facebook Scam

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Facebook Scam

Postby mum03 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am

I was checking on my Facebook page when I received a message from a friend from Australia, asking me whether I heard the great news. I ask her, what news :? are you coming back for good. Her reply was, that she won USD50000 real cash from the New Face book Freedom Lottery Agent and that it was real and she and her 6 friends has gotten their cash. She also told me that she saw my name on their winners list.
I told her never heard of this lottery and it could be a scam. She told me that she receive a message on her FB and she claim it via Facebook Agent. I ask her for the email address. She ask me to click on http://www.facebook.com/kathywalker222. Her name is Kathy Walker. When I click on the given address Guess what Kathy came on line and congratulated me on winning the lottery by Facebook users. Kathy ask me to furnish my full name,address,country,whether I owe a house, occupation, income.
I ask Kathy why are you giving away free money? She never answer the question. In the mean time my friend who was on line with me said that Kathy is a nice and honest lady, and to trust her. I was skeptical of the whole drama.
I did not furnish my info to Kathy, and I block her from my Facebook. I went into my friends profile and found that I have 2 account of the same friend. When I click on one of it I saw her normal life stories and picture. When I click on the other, she has her profile picture, other then that nothing but pictures of flowers. Thought something was fishy, send a message to my friend. An hour later she replied that she did not send any message to me. Told her that someone is using her profile to scam others.
Another thing is when I block Kathy, my duplicate friends profile was also block.
I immediately change my account password and send a message to Facebook.
I just hope that we have to be alert, and nothing is free in this world. No one is going to give you $$$$ for free.
So KSP be alert to this scam.

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Facebook Scam

Postby LarryG67 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Good post! I think that with all the social media like facebook and twitter, we have to be very careful when we give our personal details online. My friend mentioned that we have to ensure that there is a security certificate whenever we have to give personal details (most importantly credit card numbers).

LarryG67
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Facebook Scam

Postby sydney » Mon May 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Very good post. Amazing how elaborated and extent these people will go to ..

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Money Matters