Depressed - Husband driving Taxi

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Depressed - Husband driving Taxi

Postby wifey2014 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:23 am

Hi All

I am new to this forum. I joined because I needed advice.

Recently, my husband lost his delivery service job because we cannot afford to renew the COE of the commercial van. The job requires the pax to have their own van. The pay is generally much higher than those working full time with the company without their own vans.

He started driving taxi slightly more than 2 weeks ago. At first I also thought it was a good idea/alternative as driving a taxi must be more "relaxed" than carrying heavy goods and rushing to meet delivery deadlines etc.

However, after 2 weeks, I started to get depressed over it. I wondered if I made a wrong decision in encouraging him to take up taxi driving. Reason being, he now has to work 7 days a week, including PH, 14-15 hours a day, without any rest days. Else the sky high rental will be a toll, not to mention he has to earn a minimum amount to cover petrol and our expenses. I am also working and have 2 kids and our expenses are not low due to loan repayments and kids tuition fees.

I feel so sad/depressed seeing him having to work so hard, and now that we don't get to spend family time together anymore.

He does not have a relief driver (yet) as he does not know if working less than 15 hours will earn enough to cover the rental, petrol plus profits.

Is there anyone whose husband or relative driving taxi and can share their experiences? Thanks.

wifey2014
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Depressed - Husband driving Taxi

Postby dolphinsiah » Mon May 05, 2014 2:39 pm

So Sorry to hear what you are going through.

You mentioned that your spouse just started the taxi job for 2 weeks.
Maybe he should adjust his driving time , lower his earning target per day.

If your spouse is so used of driving as a career , maybe he should look for jobs related to driving like working for SMRT, SBS , Private Bus Company.

I think for above jobs he needs to upgrade his driving license.

40 years ago , my uncle was a full time taxi driver.
He managed to bring up 4 kids and own 2 private landed properties.
But this is 40 years ago!

I guess every now and then we have to adjust our lifestyle when something happens.

Like me, when late spouse was around . Going for Holidays trips is Yearly Affair . Now is 3 years then 1 trip.
All trips is always by SQ. Now the cheapest airline will do. :evil:

Family Car was always Big Luxury European Car.
Now our transport - BMW
BUS/ MRT/WALK! :laugh:

So must be strong , Good or Bad -Life is Just a Cycle!

Take Care! :xedfingers:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Mon May 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Yep, I have heard of many families pulling through even with the sole breadwinner as a taxi driver. It can be done. Why not suggest for him to split his shifts? He can drive night shifts for maybe 3 days where the fares are doubled. Especially on weekends, there is a constant (and I mean constant) demand for taxis along the clubbing districts of clarke quay, boat quay, river valley, etc.

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wifey2014 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi, thanks for "listening" to my story and sharing your views. Appreciate that.
Both of u are right. Yes, we need to adjust to the change. I will share with hubby about your suggestions of adjusting working time and the splitting of shifts (that is a very good suggestion beatrice!).

I suppose I also need to give him some time to learn the ropes and adjust his own driving preference etc. If things still don't work out then will consider changing job.
Hope things will be better. Thanks!

wifey2014
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby dimsum » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi wifey2014, based on the sharings of some taxi drivers when they chit chatted with me, I believe your hb does not need to work 7 days a week and driving 14-15 hours a day. According to them, it is about working smart and not hard. Those who earn good income told me they don't aimlessly drive on the roads to search for customers. Seems like they have a small network and secure regular bookings from corporate customers. Many work around 10-12 hours a day and have relief drivers.
My uncle, a retiree (close to 70 yrs old) drives less than 8 hours a day (and not daily) to pass time. I don't know how much he earns but if he can drive for fun, I am sure it is enough to cover the rental and petrol.
Recently, I read about this taxi booking app (Sorry, cant remember the name) that is getting popular in Singapore. Taxi drivers who signed up with it get attractive incentive for accepting bookings . This taxi driver that was interviewed said his monthly earnings have increased. Perhaps you can ask your hubby to find out more and sign up too.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Mon May 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi wifey2014,
How about getting your DH to check out those cabby forum where they chat about 'strategy' and pick up some tips.. ...
Can also try make friends with those seasoned cabbies over coffee where they hang out.. ..
:smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BeContented » Tue May 06, 2014 12:03 am

auntieM wrote:Hi wifey2014,
How about getting your DH to check out those cabby forum where they chat about 'strategy' and pick up some tips.. ...
Can also try make friends with those seasoned cabbies over coffee where they hang out.. ..

Agree.
My BIL friend quit job & became cab driver. He says quite good biz & doing pretty ok. Must know when & where to go ie. he used the word 'strategize' & dun be 无头苍蝇. On timings when biz is generally bad, he takes some rest to recharge. And he works only 5-6 days per week.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Tue May 06, 2014 12:42 am

Wifey2014, the taxi booking app that I mentioned earlier is GRABTAXI. Even temasek invested in it.
http://grabtaxi.com/singapore/?gclid=CN ... jgodunIAMA
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ta ... masek-unit

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Tue May 06, 2014 12:43 am

auntieM wrote:Hi wifey2014,

Wow, there is cabby forum!

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 am

wifey2014 wrote:Hi, thanks for "listening" to my story and sharing your views. Appreciate that.
Both of u are right. Yes, we need to adjust to the change. I will share with hubby about your suggestions of adjusting working time and the splitting of shifts (that is a very good suggestion beatrice!).

I suppose I also need to give him some time to learn the ropes and adjust his own driving preference etc. If things still don't work out then will consider changing job.
Hope things will be better. Thanks!

hi wifey2014

Which taxi operator did your DH hire his cab from? If it's Comfort Delgro/City Cab or SMRT, there should be some internal advertising platforms to matchmake principal hirers like your DH with relief drivers. I know the former operator offers diesel rebates for their hirers.

Has he joined the National Taxi Association yet? It might be useful to join this to widen his social network so that he can find a long-term partner to share the cab/slit the shifts. http://www.nta.org.sg/activities-54/recent-events/164-share-a-taxi-workshop.html

Once DH gets into the network, he might come across good corporate or tourist lobangs that could help reduce his plying hours?

As a self-employed person, your DH will need to top up his Medisave savings on his own. Did u know that MOM/CPFB has this "Drive and Save" scheme? http://www.nta.org.sg/drive-and-save-scheme

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters