Money changer for China currency

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Money changer for China currency

Postby Jennifer » Sun May 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi, I have some 10k of China currency to exchange into S$.

Any idea which money changer gives a better rate.

Thank you in advance.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Money changer for China currency

Postby momkiasu » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 pm

You can try The Alley at Raffles Place or people’s park complex. They normally give the best rates in Singapore.

Hope this helps :)

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:31 pm

I always see a snake queue at a money changer near the famous Lim Chee .. Bbq pork. Is that a good rate money changer?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Jennifer wrote:I always see a snake queue at a money changer near the famous Lim Chee .. Bbq pork. Is that a good rate money changer?

I think it may only be marginal. They dun allow u to query before queuing. Tried once. By the time I reached...it was just change whatever the rate was else have to requeue. Have seen PRC change there wif bundled stacks of notes....scary.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Song22 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Jennifer wrote:I always see a snake queue at a money changer near the famous Lim Chee .. Bbq pork. Is that a good rate money changer?

Yes, that's one of the best, or you can check the one besides UOB bank facing the Main Street

Song22
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Song22 wrote:

Yes, that's one of the best, or you can check the one besides UOB bank facing the Main Street

Agree...This was the one I used to frequent when I returned from China. Next to the LCG bak kwa shop and bus-stop.

Favourable rates if you change "bundles/red bricks" like I used to, i.e. >$50K each time.

However, in recent years, I discovered Change Alley @ Arcade's rates are equally competitive if you have "bundles". They let you transact inside their private VIP booth. I feel it's safer, compared to the People's Park one which has many shady ah peks and prostitutes loitering nearby.

At People's Park, there's no way you can find out the prevailing "preferential" rate until it's your turn, like hquek shared. Once your amt exceeds $x, they will photostat your NRIC and require you sign off a simple form. Once you do that, people behind will know your min sum, so you'd better HUG your money bag once you complete your transaction! :sweat:

The MC is so open that there's no way for you to count your stash over the counter. Just gotta trust the boss and leave the busy area asap. The Chinese boss recognised me last time. I don't think she does now, as I've gone to Change Alley.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:41 am

Thank you all for the information and tips.

I dun have a lot to change, just running an errand on behalf of someone :roll:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Went to Change Alley this afternoon.

So many money changers.

Found a China Money Exchange @ level 2 giving the highest We Buy rate of 0.2165

:thankyou: all for the recommendations.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster