Savings Vs Investment

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Savings Vs Investment

Postby mksmn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:11 am

I have a friend who is a housewife and would like to have more "income" for herself. She is contemplating between fix deposit and investment that are safe as she is talking about only a 5k or 7k (I can't remember the exact amount).

She said the interest for fix deposit is very little base on her amount. Around $100+- per year (or two?). If she goes for investment, she is not sure which or what to go for as she is afraid of the risk involve and only wants some decent interest.

I can understand her situation as I used to be a housewife before too but I have no idea and knowledge in this area, thus couldn't provide any good advice for her.

Can someone give some good advice and suggestion please? If fix deposit, which bank yield a higher interest and if investment, which type and where can she goes to.

TIA.

mksmn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Savings Vs Investment

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:19 am

No risk, no gain.
Higher return likely to come with higher risk.

For Fixed Deposit, we have an active thread at
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 47&t=82168

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:08 pm

5k or 7k? Might just as well buy Singapore Savings Bonds.

Want potential high return too? Take $2 every half year from the interest and buy some Toto tickets.

There. Zero capital risk with very high potential return and minimal transaction cost.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what the financial institutions call a "structured product". :wink:

Unfortunately, I can't think of any low-risk investments for $5k-$7k that you won't be slaughtered transaction costs wise. Anybody that tells you otherwise is probably trying to con you of your savings.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby flyingturtle » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Is your friend able to fork out this $5000/$7000 every year? If so, there are ways to go about it. Firstly you got to also ask her why does she want to invest this for and if she is able to do this amount at least for 5 years in a row. If so, I might be able to help you.

Do let me know after you have checked it out from her.

Cheers!

mksmn wrote:I have a friend who is a housewife and would like to have more "income" for herself. She is contemplating between fix deposit and investment that are safe as she is talking about only a 5k or 7k (I can't remember the exact amount).

She said the interest for fix deposit is very little base on her amount. Around $100+- per year (or two?). If she goes for investment, she is not sure which or what to go for as she is afraid of the risk involve and only wants some decent interest.

I can understand her situation as I used to be a housewife before too but I have no idea and knowledge in this area, thus couldn't provide any good advice for her.

Can someone give some good advice and suggestion please? If fix deposit, which bank yield a higher interest and if investment, which type and where can she goes to.

TIA.

flyingturtle
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bluesky557 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Sorry, but i am kind of a skeptic, now a days with the unstable economy, not sure what kind of investments are really safe other than the SGS bonds and the fix D. Any other save vehicles of investments?

bluesky557
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Masters22 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:21 am

A few considerations :

a)Are the funds excess funds and may not be required.
b)Is the investment going to be a one-off event or its every year?
c)How liquid must the investment be i.e. easily liquidated?

If the investment horizon is short term, then I wouldn't recommend doing any investment.
Otherwise, you may consider products with a minimum 5 year investment commitment.

Feel free to contact me and I can explain further.

Masters22
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pandaplan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:04 am

Maybe you can try on Aurich. You will revieve 20%(?sorry not very sure) of the amount you invest after a month. On time and trustable.

pandaplan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby makanbees » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:39 am

20% sounds quite alot!

makanbees
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby grimm » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:50 pm

pandaplan wrote:Maybe you can try on Aurich. You will revieve 20%(?sorry not very sure) of the amount you invest after a month. On time and trustable.

that's a scam. 20% a month....nobody needs to work

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Route66 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:47 pm

grimm wrote:
pandaplan wrote:Maybe you can try on Aurich. You will revieve 20%(?sorry not very sure) of the amount you invest after a month. On time and trustable.

that's a scam. 20% a month....nobody needs to work

Yea....confirmed scam....or illegal money lenders?!

Route66
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Money Matters