Law firm told me dont need a will for parents

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Law firm told me dont need a will for parents

Postby berrymom » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:29 am

Hi,

My parents told me they wanted to make a simple will ( just HDB flat, saving in bank,later give to us siblings).

So I called the neighbourhood law firm to enquiry charges, the lady advised me dont really no need for my parents since eventually upon their death, I still have to approach a lawyer to get either a Grant of Probate ( if have a will) or Letters of Administration ( if no will left behind). She told me the fees then will be around $4K plus (?! maybe got hidden costs ).
Since both my parents are still around, the will made be mutual ( charge more), I should just come back later when only 1 parent is left (?!) ....

Ok now I'm blur ( I thot they want to earn money, maybe its too little ) :scratchhead:
Anyone can advise ? Or should I just get search for a will template online and DIY one for parents first ?

Also anyone tried applying for the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration on their own , without going through lawyer ?

Please share. Thank you

Here got some info : http://thesingaporelawyer.blogspot.sg/p ... rs-of.html

berrymom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Law firm told me dont need a will for parents

Postby TheGPTutor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Just personal opinion andsuggestion. My grandfather passed away without a will, and all the siblings started to argue who should get what. The process of going through Letters of Administration was just horrible. I wouldn't want anyone to go through it. It would be best if your parents write out a will. Get your neighbours to be witness. Spell out clearly who gets what. In USA, people now video record their will, so that it becomes a testimony (in times of contention or challenge in court) that they were sane, reasonable and consciously made a decision without any duress or influence. It also makes a nice keepsake and some families also record extended messages to view and listen to in the future.

All the best.

TheGPTutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby berrymom » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks for your advice...i dont think they will approach our neighnours though, maybe have to pay just to get this done properly in a law firm. I guess i'm lucky my parents are not 'pantang' abt this. There doesnt seem to have much info around, maybe pple still prefer not to think abt such matters in advance.

In any case, found this for those who need it:
https://www.pa.gov.sg/Our_Network/Commu ... ce_Service

berrymom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:34 pm

I wonder if there is any way to check if we have done a will? Say we misplaced our copy of the will and forgot which legal firm? Wonder if they have registrar or something..

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:42 am

MrsKiasu wrote:I wonder if there is any way to check if we have done a will? Say we misplaced our copy of the will and forgot which legal firm? Wonder if they have registrar or something..

To register your will:
http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/MINLAW/apps/fcd_ ... NMzrR7yf80

They do not keep a copy though. You should keep a copy somewhere safe! Another thing you can do is to make sure that you have a document somewhere easily located with a copy of the will, and a note to say where the original is kept. My husband and I have a folder with copies of our identity documents, wills, lists of bank accounts, insurance policies and financial assets etc which we keep handy, and our kids have been told that it's there. Our assets are simple and easily traceable, so just the info will be sufficient for whoever is handling to locate.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:11 am

I had it done via a law firm years back but that time I was in a big rush and I handover my car on the same day, I threw the envelope away thinking that it was an old doc. More on the guardianship of my kids actually as I m not sure if the law states auto for kids to go to paternal family side. Now couldnt locate the law firm details after chg of handphone..so not sure if there is any way to chk which law firm or just dont bother and do up another one to supersede the current one..

Or can get the details of my issue from the website provided? Havent look into it properly yet.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:38 am

MrsKiasu wrote:I had it done via a law firm years back but that time I was in a big rush and I handover my car on the same day, I threw the envelope away thinking that it was an old doc. More on the guardianship of my kids actually as I m not sure if the law states auto for kids to go to paternal family side. Now couldnt locate the law firm details after chg of handphone..so not sure if there is any way to chk which law firm or just dont bother and do up another one to supersede the current one..

Or can get the details of my issue from the website provided? Havent look into it properly yet.

MKS no offence but u really come across as a disorganised mom!! :pokeeye: how can u lose your Will? Even if u didn't deposit with the will registry then, the hardcopy should be safely kept somewhere in a safe deposit box, or with your ILs/parents when you were overseas mah...

try recalling location of the place u got it done.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:49 am

jetsetter wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:I had it done via a law firm years back but that time I was in a big rush and I handover my car on the same day, I threw the envelope away thinking that it was an old doc. More on the guardianship of my kids actually as I m not sure if the law states auto for kids to go to paternal family side. Now couldnt locate the law firm details after chg of handphone..so not sure if there is any way to chk which law firm or just dont bother and do up another one to supersede the current one..

MKS no offence but u really come across as a disorganised mom!! :pokeeye: how can u lose your Will? Even if u didn't deposit with the will registry then, the hardcopy should be safely kept somewhere in a safe deposit box, or with your ILs/parents when you were overseas mah...

yeah I know :sad: I remembered asking for extended hours to hand over the car at a shopping centre and fly off the next day..don't even have time to sleep for 2 days before that. think back real madness and life is such a breeze now :sweat: :lol:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:56 pm

jetsetter wrote:

The Will Registry doesn't keep an actual copy of the will, and only has the info if it was submitted in the first place. There is no mandatory requirement to give them any info, and wills are still valid even in not registered. In MKS' case, the original is probably still with the lawyer. Any new will invalidates older ones.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:12 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
jetsetter wrote:

The Will Registry doesn't keep an actual copy of the will, and only has the info if it was submitted in the first place. There is no mandatory requirement to give them any info, and wills are still valid even in not registered. In MKS' case, the original is probably still with the lawyer. Any new will invalidates older ones.

Thanks slmkhoo...maybe I go around the area see if I could still recognize the firm else I just do a new one.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters