How to Save almost $1000 Every Year on Milk

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Re: How to Save almost $1000 Every Year on Milk

Post by lee_yl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 pm

I read somewhere, Pediasure and Similac are the top selling brands in Singapore. Both belong to gaint pharmacy, Abbott. Do note that many countries don’t sell FM at sky-high prices like in Singapore lah.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:229

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 pm

lee_yl wrote: I think parents want to see a cut in their preferred formula milk brands’ prices so stop giving excuses. Singapore has the dubious honor of having one of the most expensive milk formula in the world.
As long as people are willing to pay the high prices, the companies that produce the high-priced FM will continue to keep the prices high. The government cannot force them to lower the prices. If the demand falls, they will find ways to do so of their own accord. I am happy to note that there are now more affordable brands available, and there efforts to educate parents that the differences between brands are minimal. There really isn't much more the government can do. As for all types of products (beef, diapers, shampoo, shoes...), there will always be people willing to pay higher prices because they feel they are getting a better product. As long as there are more reasonably-priced alternatives available, I think the government can do no more.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:28 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
lee_yl wrote: I think parents want to see a cut in their preferred formula milk brands’ prices so stop giving excuses. Singapore has the dubious honor of having one of the most expensive milk formula in the world.
As long as people are willing to pay the high prices, the companies that produce the high-priced FM will continue to keep the prices high. The government cannot force them to lower the prices. If the demand falls, they will find ways to do so of their own accord. I am happy to note that there are now more affordable brands available, and there efforts to educate parents that the differences between brands are minimal. There really isn't much more the government can do. As for all types of products (beef, diapers, shampoo, shoes...), there will always be people willing to pay higher prices because they feel they are getting a better product. As long as there are more reasonably-priced alternatives available, I think the government can do no more.
Not that people are willing to pay but that they are left with little or no choice. Maybe you are not aware that prices of FM have shot up so much in recent years, much more than what I used to pay when DD1 was a baby. And I don’t think my other essentials’ prices have climbed as fast and as high. Baby FM should be affordable, being a daily essential and not priced as if it’s a luxury item for the rich.

Commendable efforts by the task force in bringing new and affordable brands of FM. But the task force must also recognize what the public wants, to see the prices of their kids’ FM become more affordable.

I hope the task force doesn’t stop there. If the final conclusion is “supply and demand”, there’s no need to pay them million-dollar salary as I can also come out with that.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:229

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 pm

lee_yl wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Not that people are willing to pay but that they are left with little or no choice. Maybe you are not aware that prices of FM have shot up so much in recent years, much more than what I used to pay when DD1 was a baby. And I don’t think my other essentials’ prices have climbed as fast and as high. Baby FM should be affordable, being a daily essential and not priced as if it’s a luxury item for the rich.

Commendable efforts by the task force in bringing new and affordable brands of FM. But the task force must also recognize what the public wants, to see the prices of their kids’ FM become more affordable.

I hope the task force doesn’t stop there. If the final conclusion is “supply and demand”, there’s no need to pay them million-dollar salary as I can also come out with that.
Those parents can always switch to the cheaper brands, can't they? At least now there are cheaper brands in the market, not like a few years back. Just as we switch to cheaper brands of toiletries, or rice, or restaurants, or whatever, if we feel the price has gone up too much. When Brand X raises its price, the government can't step in and tell them to lower their prices. The govt can exercise some price control on its own products and services, but not on those produced by private companies. Only communist countries would try to control the prices of all products, and then the private companies would just not sell in those markets.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

slmkhoo wrote: Those parents can always switch to the cheaper brands, can't they? At least now there are cheaper brands in the market, not like a few years back. Just as we switch to cheaper brands of toiletries, or rice, or restaurants, or whatever, if we feel the price has gone up too much. When Brand X raises its price, the government can't step in and tell them to lower their prices. The govt can exercise some price control on its own products and services, but not on those produced by private companies. Only communist countries would try to control the prices of all products, and then the private companies would just not sell in those markets.
What communist country? When did I say use force to press down the prices? I’m sure the task force can come out with highly innovative ways to bring down the prices.

I made the post earlier because I was shocked to hear Dr. Koh on TV said, “I am not here to help you (parents) to bring down the prices but to educate you...” I thought the original intent of the task force is to address the issue of escalating prices of FM (to the extent that we have one of the highest FM prices in the world)? I just hope that the task force recognizes that its work has just started and far from being completed.

lynntoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lynntoh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 pm

It may be hard to break the mindset that the best always cost much greater. Another thing is that the price tells the quality fo FM. Let us all be wise when choosing what's best for our children not based on the price, but based on the nutrional value a brand can give. :)

adhd.dad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by adhd.dad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am

Just READ the labels! Don't buy into brand alone and everyone can avoid paying extra!

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm

lynntoh wrote:It may be hard to break the mindset that the best always cost much greater. Another thing is that the price tells the quality fo FM. Let us all be wise when choosing what's best for our children not based on the price, but based on the nutrional value a brand can give. :)

Pic 1: I browsed thru those newly brought in FM and found this to be very cheap, around $27 for 900g tin (for 1yo) but it has zero DHA/AA and doesn’t have much vit & minerals compared to the more expensive brands. It stated 180ml is enough per day but our HPB’s recommendation is for children to drink 500ml-750ml of milk every day. So I am also confused whether 1 serving of 180 ml for a 12 month old is enough.

Pic 2: Whereas this brand which costs more, is packed with more vitamins & minerals than the brand in pic 1. Around $43 per 900g before discount. (NTUC members get 20% discount). With the discount, personally, I think this is not a bad choice.

Pic 3: $53.90 per 850g. This is currently one of the top sellers. Recommended serving of 180ml 3 times a day.

Pic 4: $44 per 900g. This was the brand my kids drank at 12 months old. I chose this brand because my mum fed me this brand too. They had FM till ard 6yo. 210ml twice a day. And despite being fed FM, my kids do not suffer diabetes or obesity and are doing well in school.

Do read through the labels when you choose FM for your kids. If parent decided to go for the cheapest, do remember to top up with salmon fish for the omega.

adhd.dad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by adhd.dad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 am

Yup, Salmon is rich in fish oil but not all kids will like it. I find my son liked the stomach portion better... and that's probably the best portion for oil!

Another option is Cod. It's expensive but the flavor sits better with kids. This used to be my son's staple every day from 1yo until he turned 2+. When he needed a break from Cod, we turned to Salmon.

I still prefer going the route of fresh milk + fish oil + vitamins but not everyone has the time or energy to manage such a regimen, so a cheaper formula may work out. But best to check the contents label as mentioned. It probably won't save too much money though.

EllieK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EllieK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Or you could breastfeed...