Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
Zukky78
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by Zukky78 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:50 am

It’s interesting how different organisations behave in crisis. Kudos to travel agencies, hotels, airlines gyms and many more. Allowing us to delay trips, weddings, rollover subscriptions etc.

Today I received “The Learning Lab experience”. Due to closure they inform us there will be

no refunds, no rollover, take our online learning solution at the price you paid for face to faceclasses. If you accept we will give you 25% off next term (which could be still non f2f)

Here’s the issue, TLL (the learning lab)

1) The digital learning is hastily put up, many parents have mentioned it’s inefficient (I’m being very kind with my words) given the monies they have paid. It’s basically a bulletin board or forum board where individuals post replies to each other. With the premium parents pay they are better off enrolled in true online learning platforms, you are likely able to cover all subjects vs 1 subject in learning lab.

2) Time, not all kids are independent enough to sit through online learning, sure we parents take some responsibility but many of us are trying our best and through this solution very likely we have to sit there and help our kids. We are fine with that, but do we still have to pay thousands to TLL? The answer is NO

3) Some students might not even have laptops or tablets readily available, I’ve 2 kids btw same class. Did I also mention we have to print out worksheets? Or collect them from the center if you do not have a printer. What are the recourse for parents in this instance? buy laptop? buy ipads?

4) Many of us don’t understand why TLL touted as a leader in learning are treating parents this way, the equitable way to go about doing this is allowing us to rollover lessons.

Am very frustrated by the lack of response and have started a petition to raise more awareness. Look we understand it is covid19 but you cannot treat parents like fools to maximise profits at our expense.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/the ... efund-fees

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by zac's mum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:19 am

Agreed. All of SG (yes including us parents) were caught off-guard by this sudden suspension.

Can’t we just pause, take a break and let the kids take a break & understand that this is a temporary suspension for the time being? And WHY it is being suspended (we are fighting a bigger war against the virus!)

Give us a chance to catch our breath for goodness sake!

There’s no emergency need to RUSH into rolling out the online e-learning platforms. It is not middle of exam time for goodness sake! Now your teachers and parents are all scrambling to figure out your e-learning platform on behalf of the kids (secondary school they can figure out on their own).

Maybe tiny numbers would blame u for some gap in learning of a few days/1 week, but now you have made ALL your customers unhappy with how fast you have made this emergency rollout and changed our contract terms suddenly, not an equitable arrangement for the customers or your employees at all.

tryyourbest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by tryyourbest » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

Can parents petition and bring this matter to CASE?

It is not just learning lab but majority of the tuition centres!

The hotline is forever very hot and can’t get through at all!

Tuitions are good to have but not essential. I am perfectly fine to stop 2-3 months for my children but there is no option to opt out!

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am

I m just a parent, no relation to education industry. The situation seems to imply that this covid will be around until dec 2020 at the very least, or longer.

If this is tuition centres and their staff main income avenue, not supplementary, they cannot survive for a whole year of no income situation. So they have to assume lessons continue online but expect reduction as some parents pull out.

Difficult times now

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by zac's mum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am

Just a benchmark...the sports enrichment centers have all willingly taken a break due to the suspension. They informed us parents accordingly. We can all understand and accept that. I don’t ask for refund because I will just leave the existing funds there to be used for makeup lessons in future when they resume.

Music lessons also, M has backtracked & agreed that online lessons are simply not the same thing as in-person lessons, we can now choose to makeup later on if we want.

Tuition centres should follow this benchmark. Not force themselves to “stay open” albeit online and then force parents to continue paying for an online service.

Just for ref, there are a multitude of tutors doing solely online tuition. And they charge a mere fraction of what these expensive tuition centers are charging. Dirt cheap. If we had wanted online tuition, we would have signed up for those ages ago.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:39 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am
Just a benchmark...the sports enrichment centers have all willingly taken a break due to the suspension. They informed us parents accordingly. We can all understand and accept that. I don’t ask for refund because I will just leave the existing funds there to be used for makeup lessons in future when they resume.

Music lessons also, M has backtracked & agreed that online lessons are simply not the same thing as in-person lessons, we can now choose to makeup later on if we want.

Tuition centres should follow this benchmark. Not force themselves to “stay open” albeit online and then force parents to continue paying for an online service.

Just for ref, there are a multitude of tutors doing solely online tuition. And they charge a mere fraction of what these expensive tuition centers are charging. Dirt cheap. If we had wanted online tuition, we would have signed up for those ages ago.
I see. Thanks for sharing. I don't have have reference, because ours are private enrichment and no tuition.

That's good to know.

tryyourbest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by tryyourbest » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Furthermore government already assisting companies with grants and they should be passing the savings back to parents. We are not asking for free e-lessons but you can’t be charging us the same as regular classes. Be reasonable, as parents, we are incurring additional electricity and miscellaneous cost too. Some parents are also out of job and may not be able to afford paying the tuition fee anymore.

tryyourbest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by tryyourbest » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:43 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am

Precisely! If I want online classes for my children, I would have signed up long time ago. They are so cheap, only like 20% of the normal tuition fee.

CASE should step in now. It is really getting out of control.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Just sharing my case. I happen to withdraw from a certain tuition centre the weekend before the news came out. At first they decided that those who had withdrawn shall not be entitled to the 50 per cent discount despite having to attend online lesson for next 3 weeks. Then yesterday they called me and told me I cannot even attend online lesson. Instead, I can only attend physical lessons at the centre in May if government allows reopening of tuition centre. They further added that even those who withdrew these few days will not be allowed to attend online lesson for the whole month of April as they do not think we should be allowed to the discount at all. Instead they will only allow us to make up in May. So, better check with the tuition centre on their policy before you decide to withdraw after trying the online lesson this weekend, as they may want to ‘lock you in’ till end May actually although technically if we give one month’s notice by 31 March, we supposedly can end our lessons by end April. I am too tired to argue with them though I felt this is not very fair. I am just glad that I can teach and stand in for one month just before sa1 in May as obviously to this tuition centre, student’s welfare is not their priority.

Sharing here so that you all will not be in the same situation as me, especially if after attending this weekend’s online lesson and you don’t find it good and decides to quit, it may not be so easy to quit afterall. Better check with each tuition centre their policy for withdrawal in the month of April as each centre may impose different terms and conditions.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:31

Post by sky minecrafter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks for sharing, FLD、 fellow forummers...