Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
tryyourbest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by tryyourbest » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm

It’s about time for Straits Times, Xin Ming and Wan Bao to blow it big! Make those tuition centres “famous” overnight.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am
Just a benchmark...the sports enrichment centers have all willingly taken a break due to the suspension. They informed us parents accordingly. We can all understand and accept that. I don’t ask for refund because I will just leave the existing funds there to be used for makeup lessons in future when they resume.

Music lessons also, M has backtracked & agreed that online lessons are simply not the same thing as in-person lessons, we can now choose to makeup later on if we want.

Tuition centres should follow this benchmark. Not force themselves to “stay open” albeit online and then force parents to continue paying for an online service.

Just for ref, there are a multitude of tutors doing solely online tuition. And they charge a mere fraction of what these expensive tuition centers are charging. Dirt cheap. If we had wanted online tuition, we would have signed up for those ages ago.
How abt those kids who hv registered for grade practical exam?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by zac's mum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:37 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am
Just a benchmark...the sports enrichment centers have all willingly taken a break due to the suspension. They informed us parents accordingly. We can all understand and accept that. I don’t ask for refund because I will just leave the existing funds there to be used for makeup lessons in future when they resume.

Music lessons also, M has backtracked & agreed that online lessons are simply not the same thing as in-person lessons, we can now choose to makeup later on if we want.

Tuition centres should follow this benchmark. Not force themselves to “stay open” albeit online and then force parents to continue paying for an online service.

Just for ref, there are a multitude of tutors doing solely online tuition. And they charge a mere fraction of what these expensive tuition centers are charging. Dirt cheap. If we had wanted online tuition, we would have signed up for those ages ago.
How abt those kids who hv registered for grade practical exam?
Most of the March practicals have been concluded already. The remaining ones have been cancelled by ABRSM UK.

The July-August practical season has also been suspended (registration supposed to start on 6 April). Seems like cancelled at UK HQ.

So likely no more practicals for this year. And theory exam also unclear whether October theory will proceed or not. March theory was cancelled.

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by Serendipity » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:05 pm

So would you all go for a music lesson that's conducted via online means?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:05 pm
Not for violin.

As it is, I regularly send videos to the violin teacher via WhatsApp, upon her request, so that she can check on kid’s progress during the week whenever he practices.

There are difficulties in the feedback & absorption/learning process via video.

She cannot observe all the angles correctly (neither can I keep moving around while filming for her to check LH fingering, check leg stance, check RH bow grip, zoom in to check vibrato etc etc). Sound quality is also an issue when recording/transmitting via phone. “Live” transmission would be worse cos dependent on WiFi speed.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:21 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:55 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Not for violin.

As it is, I regularly send videos to the violin teacher via WhatsApp, upon her request, so that she can check on kid’s progress during the week whenever he practices.

She cannot observe all the angles correctly (neither can I keep moving around while filming for her to check LH fingering, check leg stance, check RH bow grip, zoom in to check vibrato etc etc). Sound quality is also an issue when recording/transmitting via phone. “Live” transmission would be worse cos dependent on WiFi speed.
How do you keep your child continue practising without lessons? Even without exam, the finger muscle will loss memory through time, without keeping up w practice.

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by Serendipity » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:25 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Serendipity wrote:
Not for violin.

What about for instruments like piano? Hmm...

tryyourbest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by tryyourbest » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 pm

There are normally 8-9 students in my eldest son’s regular class. E-learning class suddenly become almost 20 students! Paying the same fee and so many more students? This is really unacceptable!

Tuition centres can really do what they like because there is no watchdog?

It is really sad that we can’t do anything and can only give in.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:21 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Serendipity wrote:
Not for violin.

How do you keep your child continue practising without lessons? Even without exam, the finger muscle will loss memory through time, without keeping up w practice.
He practices regularly anyway. Even in those weeks we skipped in-person lessons (Eg. when he was sick, busy with school exams, teacher on holiday), he still continues practising his scales and arpeggios, old pieces and new pieces. What he cannot do on his own is to learn a totally new piece himself. This needs the teacher to demonstrate & go thru with him the important points first.

We are fine even if exams are cancelled. Teacher doesn’t only teach him exam pieces. We do plenty of other pieces and also special requests like Chinese pop songs etc.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:18 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm
6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:21 pm
zac's mum wrote:

Not for violin.

He practices regularly anyway. Even in those weeks we skipped in-person lessons (Eg. when he was sick, busy with school exams, teacher on holiday), he still continues practising his scales and arpeggios, old pieces and new pieces. What he cannot do on his own is to learn a totally new piece himself. This needs the teacher to demonstrate & go thru with him the important points first.

We are fine even if exams are cancelled. Teacher doesn’t only teach him exam pieces. We do plenty of other pieces and also special requests like Chinese pop songs etc.
Yes. Agree. But to do everything the same for 5 weeks or more, will be challenging, no?