Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by Serendipity » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:34 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:05 pm
So would you all go for a music lesson that's conducted via online means?
No, unless you have no other choice. Is your child taking exam soon? Thats why she cannot defer?
Yeah was intending to take exams this year... though with the cancellation of the upcoming July tests also donno whether it'll happen

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by zac's mum » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:34 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pm
I m not sure how HBL will work, for kids at student care, where parents are not beside them.
Check with the student care staff, are they gonna let the kids share computer, take turns? Will they guide the kids to login & finish the assignments etc?

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:34 pm
6thisnthat9 wrote:
Serendipity wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:05 pm
So would you all go for a music lesson that's conducted via online means?
No, unless you have no other choice. Is your child taking exam soon? Thats why she cannot defer?
Yeah was intending to take exams this year... though with the cancellation of the upcoming July tests also donno whether it'll happen
Is it Abrsm? I called ABRSM sg on the cancellation of theory exam. They give a few options. You can call to clarify w them

1. Full refund now
2. Full refund later if replacement date is not suitable for the child
3. Top up for a higher grade to be taken later.

Pls verify with them directly.

Now, the next thing is to find a teacher to continue lessons if your child is still taking exam. Is the tr good? Not near your house?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by zac's mum » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm

tryyourbest wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm
It’s about time for Straits Times, Xin Ming and Wan Bao to blow it big! Make those tuition centres “famous” overnight.
It’s in CNA news today. Even better, will be on tv, not only just newspapers.

COVID-19: Parents voice frustration over learning centres' arrangements amid suspension of classes

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... t-12587216

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Serendipity » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:42 pm
Serendipity wrote:
6thisnthat9 wrote:

Is it Abrsm? I called ABRSM sg on the cancellation of theory exam. They give a few options. You can call to clarify w them

1. Full refund now

Now, the next thing is to find a teacher to continue lessons if your child is still taking exam. Is the tr good? Not near your house?
Thanks! We haven't made any payments for exams though cos didn't even get to register yet. I'm looking at practical exam. Are there other rounds after July?

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm
6thisnthat9 wrote:
Serendipity wrote:

1. Full refund now

Thanks! We haven't made any payments for exams though cos didn't even get to register yet. I'm looking at practical exam. Are there other rounds after July?
I doubt they will commit any new registration at this climate. They will try to arrange for the replacement for those already paid.

Abrsm usually has exam in March, July and Sep throughout the year. Can arrange for tr to teach 1 grade higher for next year exam then

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Serendipity » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 pm

6thisnthat9 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm
6thisnthat9 wrote:

1. Full refund now

I doubt they will commit any new registration at this climate. They will try to arrange for the replacement for those already paid.

Abrsm usually has exam in March, July and Sep throughout the year. Can arrange for tr to teach 1 grade higher for next year exam then
Guess so... will play by ear then!

tryyourbest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by tryyourbest » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:29 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm
tryyourbest wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm
It’s about time for Straits Times, Xin Ming and Wan Bao to blow it big! Make those tuition centres “famous” overnight.
It’s in CNA news today. Even better, will be on tv, not only just newspapers.

COVID-19: Parents voice frustration over learning centres' arrangements amid suspension of classes

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... t-12587216
This is fast. We are now waiting for CASE to step in. Parents should be given a choice - continue with e-learning (at a cheaper fee) or stop attending for the time being till regular tuition classes resume (without penalty).

News99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by News99 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi, I’m a news reporter from Mediacorp Channel 8. I’m looking into current issue that parents faced with the e-learning program at tuition centre, not being able to get refund or opting out from the program. I would like to carry out an interview, let your voice and concerns be heard. Pls do not hesitate to reach me at chuasinkai@mediacorp.com.sg

Thank you very much.

Zukky78 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:50 am
It’s interesting how different organisations behave in crisis. Kudos to travel agencies, hotels, airlines gyms and many more. Allowing us to delay trips, weddings, rollover subscriptions etc.

Today I received “The Learning Lab experience”. Due to closure they inform us there will be

no refunds, no rollover, take our online learning solution at the price you paid for face to faceclasses. If you accept we will give you 25% off next term (which could be still non f2f)

Here’s the issue, TLL (the learning lab)

1) The digital learning is hastily put up, many parents have mentioned it’s inefficient (I’m being very kind with my words) given the monies they have paid. It’s basically a bulletin board or forum board where individuals post replies to each other. With the premium parents pay they are better off enrolled in true online learning platforms, you are likely able to cover all subjects vs 1 subject in learning lab.

2) Time, not all kids are independent enough to sit through online learning, sure we parents take some responsibility but many of us are trying our best and through this solution very likely we have to sit there and help our kids. We are fine with that, but do we still have to pay thousands to TLL? The answer is NO

3) Some students might not even have laptops or tablets readily available, I’ve 2 kids btw same class. Did I also mention we have to print out worksheets? Or collect them from the center if you do not have a printer. What are the recourse for parents in this instance? buy laptop? buy ipads?

4) Many of us don’t understand why TLL touted as a leader in learning are treating parents this way, the equitable way to go about doing this is allowing us to rollover lessons.

Am very frustrated by the lack of response and have started a petition to raise more awareness. Look we understand it is covid19 but you cannot treat parents like fools to maximise profits at our expense.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/the ... efund-fees

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:54

Post by chenlaoshi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:49 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:37 pm
I would like to share my experience with chenlaoshi’s response to the sudden shock ruling in this past week (in fact less than a week). Although he is not a big tuition centre but he runs group classes.

Like everyone, I’m sure he was taken by surprise at the sudden forced closure. Yet he took the time to pause, think very carefully how to solve this problem. He spent the time to explore all various types of platforms before he decided on which one would be the most effective. He kept us parents updated via WhatsApp each step of the way.

He did not rush in to implement any changes. First he assured us that any e-lessons would be free of charge for these 5 weeks shutdown, which is nobody’s fault. For us to trial out and get used to the system first.

Next, he decided to start off with a Pre-recorded video for the missed lesson, log in at own time own target. He even did a how-to video guide in English for us parents to understand how to join the Google Classroom, how to submit homework etc. Then in the lesson video he assured the kids themselves that they could pause at any time if they need to review or finish copying down notes.

Next week will be the first “live” session via Zoom. Again he sends us detailed instructions on how to set it up. With the option to WhatsApp him for any queries.

To me, that should be the gold standard for how to transit to new technology platform. Parents definitely have to assist the kids with setting all this up, including sitting beside them to remind them pay attention etc. How can those tuition centers expect buy-in from parents when they can’t provide proper how-to guide or support?? Add the stress of joining a “live” PAID lesson (no option to refund/defer) at the non-regular timing (no option to select another timing)...makes the parents go nuts with anger and don’t need to wonder why.
FantasyLandDreams wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:17 pm
So far Chen laoshi giving ‘free’ online lesson is the only ‘free’ case I know now. Shows that he really put the children as priority. Hmmn... yes gold class standard... maybe he will become the 网红补习老师soon? :)

We’ve actually attended his 2 day p6 hcl compre holiday class last year and found it useful too. After the class, he still replies our queries as well, even though he is not obliged to do so. Thank you Chen laoshi!
sky minecrafter wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:41 am
This is chenlaoshi:

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 8&start=10
:thankyou: for the kind words and encouragement. Don't mean to 'spoil market' or 'play hero', just followed my heart and did what I thought was right.

This week brings back memories of my previous experience being involved in smart classroom pilot program at one of my previous schools (for Pri 4 level). :lol: This is a good opportunity for educators to look deeper into how to tap on ICT to enhance learning process as well as facilitate communication. That said, the amount of back end job can often be overlooked/underestimated. I'm sure processes will be fine tuned and improved upon along the way. :wink: