Rental questions

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:162

Re: Rental questions

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 pm

do you spot check your tenant to see if there's any subletting?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:32

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Nebbermind wrote:do you spot check your tenant to see if there's any subletting?
I don’t
Do you mean just turn up at the door step to say Hi?
I don’t know my tenants except the names as in their documents
Isn’t this seem intruding?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:120

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:do you spot check your tenant to see if there's any subletting?
I don’t
Do you mean just turn up at the door step to say Hi?
I don’t know my tenants except the names as in their documents
Isn’t this seem intruding?
My agent told me the Tenancy Agreement has a clause indicating that the tenant has a right to “peaceful enjoyment of the dwelling”, something like that. Essentially it means landlord cannot just visit unannounced.

What I do to legally “spy” on my tenant is: I still hold my copy of the letterbox key. Every few weeks I will go and clear the mail which are not addressed to the tenant (he is honest enough to leave them there for me). Glancing thru the mail, I will verify that all those people receiving letters/bills are on the approved list. Also chitchat with the surrounding neighbors to see if any unusual signs of more than the normal number going in and out of the flat.

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Cloud Cloud » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Not spot check. My agent “visit” them every quarterly. I pay the agent a small fee as I do not contact my tenant. The intent is more to see whether the place is properly maintained.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by vinegar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I didn't chk my tenants. Once a while, i called or visited my neighbours to chk on the tenants.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by meinteel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

happy88mum wrote:hi,

will the agent help to collect the rental for the 2 years?thanks so much
Agent's job is only to help rent out the unit. Once the tenancy agreement (TA) is signed & the monies for the deposit and 1st month's rental is paid...his/her job is completed. Most agents collect 1-2 month's rental fees for this service depending on the length of the TA and the rental amount (above or below market rate).

Anything that happens after is out of goodwill. Typically we will try to help resolve any issues between the landlord and the tenant. Mostly it has to do with the repair fees for something spoiling/breaking down.

Collection of rental will fall under property management. The agent will help to manage the property - leasing, furnishing, breakdown/spoilage, collection of lease. In this case, we are considered property manager and collect a monthly retainer fee regardless if its vacant, occupied or rented and the price of which it is rented.

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Cloud Cloud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 am

I find that it is still a tenant market. My sis vacant unit has no viewing request for close to one month. Her asking rent is comparable to those in the same development. On hindsight, should have agreed to the previous tenant request for rent reduction.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am

Cloud Cloud wrote:I find that it is still a tenant market. My sis vacant unit has no viewing request for close to one month. Her asking rent is comparable to those in the same development. On hindsight, should have agreed to the previous tenant request for rent reduction.
This is what am worry about; rather reduce in rent than zero rent
Maybe reduce the expectation to get it rented out soon?

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by mum_sugoku » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am

Cloud Cloud wrote:I find that it is still a tenant market. My sis vacant unit has no viewing request for close to one month. Her asking rent is comparable to those in the same development. On hindsight, should have agreed to the previous tenant request for rent reduction.
It depends on agent as well? The previous agent I engaged wasn't able to find a suitable tenant for many months after the previous tenant moved out. I switched to another agent, and the flat was rented out within a month.. at a rent higher than what the previous tenant was paying.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am

mum_sugoku wrote: It depends on agent as well? The previous agent I engaged wasn't able to find a suitable tenant for many months after the previous tenant moved out. I switched to another agent, and the flat was rented out within a month.. at a rent higher than what the previous tenant was paying.
Gd agent