Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Rental questions

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Re: Rental questions

Postby forestcadee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi, I am thinking to rent out my whole flat to a family consisting of a Singaporean man, his Singaporean mother, his Chinese wife and his Chinese daughter (both from China). However, the wife and daughter were issued with only e-Visa which they visit and stay in Singapore occasionally.

Knowing that HDB will not accept e-Visa if I put them as occupants in the application. Could anyone advise if it is ok or illegal if I just enter the Singaporean man and mother as occupants?

Thanks.

forestcadee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby forestcadee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi, I am thinking to rent out my whole flat to a family consisting of a Singaporean man, his Singaporean mother, his Chinese wife and his Chinese daughter (both from China). However, the wife and daughter were issued with only e-Visa which they visit and stay in Singapore occasionally.

Knowing that HDB will not accept e-Visa if I put them as occupants in the application. Could anyone advise if it is ok or illegal if I just enter the Singaporean man and mother as occupants?

Thanks.

forestcadee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 pm

forestcadee wrote:Hi, I am thinking to rent out my whole flat to a family consisting of a Singaporean man, his Singaporean mother, his Chinese wife and his Chinese daughter (both from China). However, the wife and daughter were issued with only e-Visa which they visit and stay in Singapore occasionally.

Thanks.

I expect that "occupants" refer to permanent (during the tenancy period) and not occasional visitors? You can call and check about the definition. When I rented out my flat, I didn't ask if the tenants expected to have occasional visits from relatives. But wife and daughter might be regarded differently from parents and in-laws.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:28 pm

forestcadee wrote:Hi, I am thinking to rent out my whole flat to a family consisting of a Singaporean man, his Singaporean mother, his Chinese wife and his Chinese daughter (both from China). However, the wife and daughter were issued with only e-Visa which they visit and stay in Singapore occasionally.

Thanks.

forestcadee,

You can rent to the Sporean man, but pls take note. ALL occupants MUST be illegally qualified to be included as co-subtenants. In this event, only the Sporean's mother qualifies. You cannot incl the China lady & her daughter even if they are married, as they must be PRs or citizens. Tourists or those on e-Visa is only for short-term visits & must stay in hostels or hotels. If u rent to this combination with e-Visa visit pass only, u'll be charged illegally harboring.

A relative was instigated to sign Rental Tenancy Agmt & was caught & jailed 8 mths with remission. The PRC lady was deported & blacklisted. No defense even if claiming that u're not aware occupants' status & only rent to Sporeans. Both owner & agent hv to exercise due diligence.

I am very vigilant & use only trusted agents to verify status (staudent pass holders, Eympt Pass holders & occasionally 'spot check' myself with excuses of sorts & very short notice. Once, I had 6 student pass holders halfway through rental & discovered one had mother & sister visiting. I highlight to them consequences to both parties & thankfully the main sub-tenant was very co-operative.

Hope you consider very cautiously.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Estéema wrote:

Thanks.

forestcadee,

You can rent to the Sporean man, but pls take note. ALL occupants MUST be illegally qualified to be included as co-subtenants. In this event, only the Sporean's mother qualifies. You cannot incl the China lady & her daughter even if they are married, as they must be PRs or citizens. Tourists or those on e-Visa is only for short-term visits & must stay in hostels or hotels. If u rent to this combination with e-Visa visit pass only, u'll be charged illegally harboring.

Referring to the line in red - if they are not listed as tenants or occupants, can't they stay with the man when they visit? I and many others I know have housed visitors from other countries, including China, in our homes, including HDB flats. Is this illegal?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:51 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Estéema wrote:

Thanks.

forestcadee,

Referring to the line in red - if they are not listed as tenants or occupants, can't they stay with the man when they visit? I and many others I know have housed visitors from other countries, including China, in our homes, including HDB flats. Is this illegal?

Slmkhoo,

forestcadee is talking abt signing Tenancy for Sporean & lady with e-Visa. There's no indication of short-term stay. I rmbr years back (>30 years back), I tried to rent a place for myself as a short break fr my family. The owner was working with HDB & refused to rent to me as she said she'll lose her flat.

A few years down the road (80s), a chirchmate was back in Spore with American fiancé stayed at Parents place at Clement for wedding prep & going back to USi. One week after, HDB cam knocking on the door to hand warning tt fiancé not related (then) and not permitted to reside. HDB said neighbors complain foreigner lurking in & out of unit. I suppose he has yet to attain legal status?

So, whenever I rent my place out, I'm super careful to err on the cautious side then to be sorry.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby forestcadee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 pm

If I signed the tenancy agreement for 2 occupants, the man and mother, does it consider illegal if the man house his wife and daughter in the flat when they come to visit the man.

forestcadee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby forestcadee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Maybe they come to Singapore once or twice a year. Should be staying in for about 1 to 2 weeks per visit.

forestcadee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Estéema » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 pm

forestcadee wrote:If I signed the tenancy agreement for 2 occupants, the man and mother, does it consider illegal if the man house his wife and daughter in the flat when they come to visit the man.

Illegal. HDB hv rules against S-T stay with no valid work pass. Careful. Check with HDB.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:35 pm

- duplicate -
Last edited by Estéema on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Money Matters

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres