Rental questions

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:35

Re: Rental questions

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 am

What are the pros and cons with renewal of tenancy agreement w/o an agent ? Thank you.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:35 pm

the agents I came across will charge for 1st renewal of lease.. if yours already out of that esp with same tenants, if me I would just renew it myself..ensure pay the stamp duty, renewal with hdb if it is a hdb and recycle the old TA :wink:

pro is no need pay agent fee and cons is you handle everything direct with tenant..

Parent
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Parent » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am

Some times agents can help landlords to take care of minor problems and repairs.

You will also have a trusted agent to work for you should you need to find a new tenant.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:96

Re: Rental questions-

Post by Estéema » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am

It’s pros & cons not using agents.

Pros - Landlord saves on 1 mth commissions

Cons - tenants hv to agree with it coz they’ll not be represented
Landlords may end up deducting deposit frivolously against the tenants
Landlords may face damages beyond available deposits which s’times agents acts as go-btwn to advice making restitutions (usually involves company leases) but landlords can go for SCC to recover producing evidences (both with or w/o agents). My agents had been witnesses to SCC tobtestify for landlords before. Some tenants damage with willful act to get back at landlord.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Estéema wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am

Landlords may face damages beyond available deposits which s’times agents acts as go-btwn to advice making restitutions (usually involves company leases) but landlords can go for SCC to recover producing evidences (both with or w/o agents). My agents had been witnesses to SCC tobtestify for landlords before. Some tenants damage with willful act to get back at landlord.
In my case, it is a renewal of TA.
Tenants' lease will expire early 2021. Am thinking if they are continuing, do i still need to engage the same agent just to renew the TA? Thank you.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:84

Post by ngl2010 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:22 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:10 pm
Estéema wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am

In my case, it is a renewal of TA.
Tenants' lease will expire early 2021. Am thinking if they are continuing, do i still need to engage the same agent just to renew the TA? Thank you.
Check your tenancy agreement first. For us, there is a clause that subsequent renewals have to be done through the agent. Anyway, our current tenant is a bit 'difficult' so we are gladly paying the agent to deal with him.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 pm

Govt said property tax rebate has to be passed on to tenants. Does it apply only on commercial properties or to residential properties too?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:14 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 pm
Govt said property tax rebate has to be passed on to tenants. Does it apply only on commercial properties or to residential properties too?
I was thinking about it the other day too.. to me looks more likefor commercial but anyways my hdb prop tax is not that high.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 pm
I think is it for commercial properties only

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Thank you MKS and SL for your replies. My tenant wants to renew the lease (because they can’t view other properties due to circuit breaker) but they are asking for rental reductions. I thought if we are going to pass the property tax rebate to them then it is double whammy to us. But I guess I should be lucky they are going to renew the lease. My agent said there are many expatriates retrenched recently.