DSA 2019

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:12

Re: DSA 2019

Post by laughingcat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

:lol: me too....I prefer DS to be active in sports. Being active in sports has many benefits. Super like Imp75 :celebrate: , I rather see the children active in sports rather than rotting away by being active on social media or hanging out unnecessarily. Being active in sports unknowingly makes one to be careful of time management.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:18 pm

phtthp, still can. Time management is very important. My DS1 still got time to revise and do his homework. No late submission. Because he is with his team mates all the time, they help one another spiritually and physically. They do help each other. During rest time, they do their work and revision.

So such children must be strict with themselves on their weekly goals. They must have avenues to ask if they are in doubts. Must be willing to open up and seek help. Support system must be there for such kids.

Currently my DS1 is able to do so as we do not have tuition. Currently only school and sports. If add in tuition(s), I really don't know what will happen.
Last edited by laughingcat on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by sky minecrafter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Imp75 wrote:...For mine, I rather she sports then waste time hanging out...
*≧∇≦* Cute! Once Psle-ed, I make mine spend more time on sports/cca/... instead of books. If the student focuses for the duration, even IP work can be completed in a reasonably short amount of time, given the amount of (free) resources lying around, ne!

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Sky, yours can lah. You are one steady steady pom pipi mum. My DS2 has not PSLE-ed yet and also like his korkor, in National team as well. DS2 has 1 tuition only. So still can start now. no need to wait till PSLE-ed de

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 pm

phtthp wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm
laughingcat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm
Like what nms1, the kids must really need to enjoy and committed to it if they are going to choose DSA - sports.

Even my DS1 who did not DSA into sports but wanted to commit to the school on that particular sport. As parent, we go along by his faith and passion. We just support his passion.

DSA into sport is no mean feat. Being in the National Team even worse. 5 days of intensive sports including Sat for 2 hrs. Have not consider the travelling time from school to sports center to home (total 1.5 hr). Also have 3rd Lang and Science project. I as an adult, I would say it is difficult to manage. To be frank, it was difficult to manage in the first 2 months. But now into 4th month, we sort of know what to expect. We have spoken to several National players including JS's parents on how can we manage our expectation. Now I finally know how sportsman representing Singapore feels like.
But seriously, if join national team where involve 5 heavy days of intensive sports trainng including saturdays for 2 hours, week after week non-stop into each term, each semester, how can a student possibly squeeze in time to revise his (her) IP school work or find time to do ip projects & school homework (assignments) exercises, or revise for coming academic subject tests or quiz ?
Why not?
You can check out the number of national swimmers and national track & field athletes who had kept to that schedule and still emerged among the top of their cohort.
The best attribute that they have in their arsenal is called discipline.

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by deardear07 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:39 pm

The top athletes generally have alot of resilience n determination to do well.. good! That’s how they get to where they are

stay healthy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by stay healthy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

Hi parents,

Did anyone attend the DSA talk at MGS last Sat (13/4)? Due to some last minute matters, we were not able to attend. If anyone attended, would it be possible to share some of the things that were discussed/mentioned? Any Q&A that you can remember would be helpful too. Thanks in advance! :)

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by deardear07 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 pm

actually just to share.. my child's friends who didn't dsa into the sch n got into the same cca had to put in similar hours of cca for performing arts too.

Probably because more junior in terms of experience (lesser yrs of experience), still ended up similar training n playing slightly easier parts of the pieces. so in some ccas, i guess both dsa n non dsa students have to put in similar hours anyway... n eventually if the child catches up fast enough, will still end up on par with the child who dsa-ed.

for those who were successful with sports dsa, they have been identified earlier to join the sch. but there are some i know who were also good in the sports but chose to go through PSLE COP route, ended up in their same pri sch cca, got into sch team in sec sch n have to train just as hard as those who dsa-ed in.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm

In sports, no one, and the opponent definitely don’t, care if a player came in via DSA or t-score, as long as you are wearing the jersey, you are expected to work just as hard. Likewise for performing arts, who cares if Romeo DSA-ed and Juliet t-scored. Once the stage lights go on, both are expected to die tragically.

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:46 pm

I think the most important is that after dsa successful, still try to get as high a score as possible. Cos I heard from an ex student who is an adult now. She said they sort of looked down on the dsa students. goodness.