DSA 2019

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
MJ2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: DSA 2019

Post by MJ2009 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:13 pm

MerlionInGermany wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm
MyPillow wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pm
From Floppy link, there is no DSA academics for plmgs ...
so is dsa academics is limited to the IP sch only?
Last year, tkss had dsa academic, this year still valid, so no, I dont think dsa academic is limited to IP stream. It has Science and Malay.

VS (O) also has English and Science and Maths.

My friend’s son applied and got in, so I remember.
Hi, may I know which subject yout friend's son got into in VS? Is there any commitment required if DSA via subjects?

MJ2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by MJ2009 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:13 pm

MerlionInGermany wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm
MyPillow wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pm
From Floppy link, there is no DSA academics for plmgs ...
so is dsa academics is limited to the IP sch only?
Last year, tkss had dsa academic, this year still valid, so no, I dont think dsa academic is limited to IP stream. It has Science and Malay.

VS (O) also has English and Science and Maths.

My friend’s son applied and got in, so I remember.
Hi, may I know which subject yout friend's son got into in VS? Is there any commitment required if DSA via subjects?

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm

VRossi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm
The current common dsa portal by MOE and the cap to 3 choices for dsa applications are really good moves in the right direction by MOE.

In the past, there have been overzealous parents who apply to as many as 7 schools for their child so that they can say their child got 5 COs. However many offers one get, the child can only select one CO!

Let us also exercise some sensitivity , empathy and humility during this process. While one can be really happy with getting 3 confirmed offers from top schools in sg like RI/ HCI/ NUSH, let us be sensitive to the fact that when one child gets all 3 CO, it might mean 3 other kids are now waitlisted or rejected. They would have to get over their disappointment, pick themselves up and put in their very best for psle prep. Let’s be mindful of their feelings.

I have encountered parents who took a picture of their child’s COs from elite schools and put it as their whatsapp profile status pictures. Or post it on Facebook or IG. What’s the point?

Then there are those who criticised the parents of gep kids or children who have good results for applying for dsa. Who are we to judge? Everyone wants the best for their kids. They may worry that their child underperform in psle / falls sick/ blank out and wants the safety net of a CO to their dream school. So that is why we have head prefects/ captains/ level no 1 / top in this sports and that competition kids applying for dsa. Who are we to judge these people for applying ?

Let us be kind to one another in this journey while we play the system and don’t let the system play us, as said by Chae Lian from Lion Mums.
wow 7 CO is crazy. and i thought this mom who dragged her child to 4 dsas and got all COs was crazy because in the end her son psle score was 280. goodness if he blanked out during psle i think his score would still have been a good 250 , minus estimate 30 points for blank out !!

shiv
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by shiv » Thu May 16, 2019 11:17 pm

DSA-SEC portal is down due to some technical issues. Hope it is fixed soon😥

Rio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by Rio » Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am

floppy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am
sosososo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:58 am
floppy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:52 am

No schools can offer anyone a CO until after that someone applies and properly vetted / approved by the committee and management.
Maybe nush is an exception. It did give out co earlier to mo top performers.
Interesting. How do they give out the CO when their test, camp and interview is in July and August as per their admission guide.

Have you mistaken an invitation to apply to be a CO?
Indeed, NUSH has already given out CO to the few IMSO participants somewhere in April, which is considered late this year compared to past years where participants used to receive in January/February. For the rest of NMOS Gold recipients, they have already been offered to do NUSH Year 1 Maths module (e-learning) fr April to June, afterwhich they will b taking a diagnostic test in early July. I was told this will greatly enhance their chances of getting a CO shld they eventually apply to NUSH.

As for RI, tea session invitation has already been sent out to the top 15 High Distinction recipients of RIPWMC Round 2. However, I doubt any CO can be given out prior to the official DSA application. They will still need to go thru the normal process, but this gp of students will definitely hv a higher chance of getting a CO or at least a WL.

As for HCI, APMOPS will be on the June 1st so I hv not heard of any tea session as yet. However, I do understand fr past years parents tat for those students who score Platinum or even Gold awards, they might be invited straight to the interview session, bypassing the selection test. N of course, this gp of students will also hv a higher chance of getting a CO.

Rio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Rio » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 am

zac's mum wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:32 pm
MerlionInGermany wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:11 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 pm
That’s pretty unfair IMO. For sports and performing arts there’s a quid pro quo. For specific academic talent, should make them commit to scoring certain grades. From the school’s perspective, why take in an English straight As kid if he/she can’t produce the same grade yearly to show off the school’s KPI as met?
How to make them commit to scoring certain grades? I guess if the school has a good programme to develop the kid in that academic domain, then the grades will show? It is 2-way, isn’t it? In fact, if the kid is not scoring good grades in the specifc domain, he can turn around and ask the school why.

Schools also dont make dsa-cca kids commit to winning/ making into the first team. The school also dont promise cca-dsa children that they will be in the first team. If a t-score child comes in and is better than the dsa-cca one...the t-score goes into the first team.

So I dont think there is a fair or unfair thing, about the dsa-acad and dsa-cca. It is just the way it is, I guess?
But the DSA CCA kids aren’t allowed to switch CCA. That’s a binding contract.

What binding contract and responsibility do the academic kids commit to?

I still think it’s unfair. And if I read the signals correctly, specific academic domains will be removed in the long run.
We have to accept that there are some kids who are really lopsided in their learning ability. There are many kids who are strong in Mathematics but very weak in languages, and vice versa as well. We cannot think of every kid as a all rounder who is strong in every subjects. I have a fren's son who managed to get into RI thru DSA due to his strong Maths, but he has learning issue with MT. His psle score was only 240+ due to a C in MT n A in English. However, he is now flourishing in RI, doing extremely well in Maths n Physics, participating in various competitions. The mum is grateful to have this DSA process, else the son will most likely end up in a neighbourhood school, not even an IP school, n his ability will never be stretch as much as now.

In anyway, MOE has already reduced the places for entry thru DSA via subjects to less than 30% n keeping the balance 70% for the really bright all rounder students who can enter by their own merit. I m sure MOE has also noticed this odd gp of extremely smart yet lopsided (in 1 particular domain) students, n by having this DSA route for them, is giving them an equal chance to continue to flourish in a suitable environment.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Post by floppy » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 am

Rio wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am

Indeed, NUSH has already given out CO to the few IMSO participants somewhere in April, which is considered late this year compared to past years where participants used to receive in January/February. For the rest of NMOS Gold recipients, they have already been offered to do NUSH Year 1 Maths module (e-learning) fr April to June, afterwhich they will b taking a diagnostic test in early July. I was told this will greatly enhance their chances of getting a CO shld they eventually apply to NUSH.

As for RI, tea session invitation has already been sent out to the top 15 High Distinction recipients of RIPWMC Round 2. However, I doubt any CO can be given out prior to the official DSA application. They will still need to go thru the normal process, but this gp of students will definitely hv a higher chance of getting a CO or at least a WL.

As for HCI, APMOPS will be on the June 1st so I hv not heard of any tea session as yet. However, I do understand fr past years parents tat for those students who score Platinum or even Gold awards, they might be invited straight to the interview session, bypassing the selection test. N of course, this gp of students will also hv a higher chance of getting a CO.
I guess as NUSH is not a MOE school, they may not need to play with the rules. Probably the reason why they may have been able to get away with offering a CO immediately.

Rio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Rio » Fri May 17, 2019 6:10 am

floppy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 am
Rio wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am

I guess as NUSH is not a MOE school, they may not need to play with the rules. Probably the reason why they may have been able to get away with offering a CO immediately.
Yes I strongly believe so too.

I hv spoke to some RI trs n they told me MOE has already started clamping down on DSA intake since 2 years ago. With the latest DSA application process of using the MOE platform, the more they r not allowed to give out CO prior to the application process. Everything is v transparent now n everyone has to follow by the rule. So my guess is that the tweak will only come after the application process whereby they know who they will definitely want to give the CO to.

myrick88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by myrick88 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am

Is it worthwhile to apply DSA via academics or just by PSLE score?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Post by floppy » Fri May 17, 2019 7:07 am

myrick88 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am
Is it worthwhile to apply DSA via academics or just by PSLE score?
:?