All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Vevey
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:5

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Vevey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm

I think we should petition to MOE to make MTL a weekly fun 2hr lesson w no exam in order to correctly peg to MTL exempted AL6-8.

Think we can gather 600 signatures per minute?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Vevey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm
I think we should petition to MOE to make MTL a weekly fun 2hr lesson w no exam in order to correctly peg to MTL exempted AL6-8.

Its sounding very attractive! Especially when now my potato kid is sweating so hard just to stay at ~AL6. Might as well eliminate the toil if he’s gonna get AL6 anyway.

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by MerlionInGermany » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm

floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm
coast wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:53 pm
floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 pm

The statement isn't from MOE FAQ. It's MOE response to the press' queries. So yah... they have been asked.

As for the petition starter, she didn't state, nor did she provide insights to why her child was exempted.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... t-from-mtl

Madam Wee, whose Primary 3 daughter is studying French, said: "I encouraged my daughter to take up Chinese in kindergarten and Primary 1. And I sent her for classes outside as well. But after one year of struggling in the subject, I realised that she is better off doing French. At least my British husband and I can help her with it."

She said that although there was a new scoring system in the works, she, like many parents, had thought that the MOE would not veer much from the current way of scoring.

"If I had known, I may have made a different decision and perhaps stuck with Chinese," she said.

She and several others are calling for the MOE to stick to the current scoring system for pupils already in primary school.

Said Madam Wee: "Such changes should not be dropped on students in the midst of their curriculum. If such a policy is to be introduced, it should commence from 2023 at the earliest, so that students and parents seeking exemption now have time to consider their options.
Thanks for the info. Freaking paywall for the 151st ranked press :lol:

Now that more info has been provided, I am curious and interested to know, why MOE would grant an exemption to a child with an ENGLISH father and a CHINESE mother? Because the poor child is uninterested and struggling with Chinese? So let's do French? Seriously, like WTF? I can understand for slacefy's case given that the child have a GERMAN father and a CHINESE mother would like to opt for German but when the other case, it's not even a language of either the father or mother :?
Actually I don’t think she has mentioned here that the father is German. Or did I miss it? She only mentioned about the father being non Chinese.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by sky minecrafter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Dear phtthp, I imagine that forummers share experiences here in order to benefit/enrich others who may need the information/knowledge. You are to me an esteemed member of this space. Please, could you consider editing out sensitive data from the Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:24 pm post? Thank you.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Post by phtthp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm

sky minecrafter wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm
Dear phtthp, I imagine that forummers share experiences here in order to benefit/enrich others who may need the information/knowledge. You are to me an esteemed member of this space. Please, could you consider editing out sensitive data from the Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:24 pm post? Thank you.
already edited

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by laughingcat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 pm

floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am

2. Foreign language in lieu of MTL
TBF, I don’t see why having a mixed parentage or being a foreigner should exempt you from the terms of a public education. If policy says you must pick one of the 3 MTL, or for non-Tamil Indians, one of several other MTL, you just have to do it. If you don’t like what is being offered, private or international schools are available for a purpose. Lack of interest in a particular MTL should not be an accepted excuse. FYI there are several kids I know who are of Dutch, Jewish etc parentage (and not to mention the increasing number of Pinoy) taking HCL. Setting a max imputed score of AL6 as a compromise is probably not the best solution but is helpful in nudging people with no obvious disability back in line with the national policy on public education.
I totally agreed with your suggestion especially if the child does not pose any learning disability. If the child can take up another languages, hence I don't see any problem with this child taking up MTL. Afterall to study in the public school means the need to integrate with the masses and hence learning the MTL (Chinese, Malay or Tamil) would be the right start.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Under current tscore system, are there children exempted from MTL, who managed to get into IP via t-score? Are they assigned an imputed score (capped at 64% ) for MTL for exempted students?
You have posed an interesting point. To be fair, I have not seen such case. Would love to hear if there is.

So far I have seen kids from other countries like Cambodia, Philippines, Spain and India who took up Chinese actually scored between 70 to 95. Impressive!

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Either parent is a Singaporean Chinese/Malay/Indian and your child doesn't like Chinese/Malay/Indian languages and decided to take a easy way out. And entering at P1 and decided to opt out. Really? Please. This is not being fair to all. Sorry to say this.....You can't have your cake and eat it.

There are folks out there with both parents totally not even Chinese/Malay/Indian and still take up MTL.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:16 am

MerlionInGermany wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm
floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm
coast wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:53 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... t-from-mtl

Madam Wee, whose Primary 3 daughter is studying French, said: "I encouraged my daughter to take up Chinese in kindergarten and Primary 1. And I sent her for classes outside as well. But after one year of struggling in the subject, I realised that she is better off doing French. At least my British husband and I can help her with it."

She said that although there was a new scoring system in the works, she, like many parents, had thought that the MOE would not veer much from the current way of scoring.

"If I had known, I may have made a different decision and perhaps stuck with Chinese," she said.

She and several others are calling for the MOE to stick to the current scoring system for pupils already in primary school.

Said Madam Wee: "Such changes should not be dropped on students in the midst of their curriculum. If such a policy is to be introduced, it should commence from 2023 at the earliest, so that students and parents seeking exemption now have time to consider their options.
Thanks for the info. Freaking paywall for the 151st ranked press :lol:

Now that more info has been provided, I am curious and interested to know, why MOE would grant an exemption to a child with an ENGLISH father and a CHINESE mother? Because the poor child is uninterested and struggling with Chinese? So let's do French? Seriously, like WTF? I can understand for slacefy's case given that the child have a GERMAN father and a CHINESE mother would like to opt for German but when the other case, it's not even a language of either the father or mother :?
Actually I don’t think she has mentioned here that the father is German. Or did I miss it? She only mentioned about the father being non Chinese.
Oh... you are right. Never state the ethnicity of the dad. I only assume it's German :lol:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Post by phtthp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:42 am

Vevey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm

once No exam is imposed in learning any language (German / French / Japanese, etc) , many students tend to take language(s) lightly for fun, they can become not serious in their learning attitude : ie. if you don't want to learn properly, also can, anyway is entirely up to you, because NO exam to discipline them, learn it seriously.

Hence, was surprised to hear that those students taking "2nd language, in lieu of Chinese" - no exam, whatsoever .
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.