DSA 2019

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Post Reply
Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Oct 28,
Total Likes:29

Re: DSA 2019

Post by Imp75 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Most ks parents still have the grab first decide later mentality mah. In those good old days, I have friends who applied dsa to 7 schools....

Dino
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Jun 21,
Total Likes:11

Re: DSA 2019

Post by Dino » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Imp75 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Most ks parents still have the grab first decide later mentality mah. In those good old days, I have friends who applied dsa to 7 schools....
Last time is not free rite? 7 schools can be quite a tiny sum to pay. Very tiring also.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Oct 28,
Total Likes:29

Re: DSA 2019

Post by Imp75 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Dino wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm
Imp75 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Most ks parents still have the grab first decide later mentality mah. In those good old days, I have friends who applied dsa to 7 schools....
Last time is not free rite? 7 schools can be quite a tiny sum to pay. Very tiring also.
Yeah for IP schools last time need to pay to take GAT. Also each sch may hv its’ own registration/processing fees.... still cheaper than the tons of enrichment/tuition/dsa prep class....

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18877
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:205

Re: DSA 2019

Post by phtthp » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Imp75 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Most ks parents still have the grab first decide later mentality mah. In those good old days, I have friends who applied dsa to 7 schools....
Wah ! DSA to 7 schools (last time), very time consuming & energy draining, leh

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Nov 05,
Total Likes:17

Re: DSA 2019

Post by nms1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm
pandabear88 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:42 pm
My DD has a CO from another school and we are in a dilemma whether to accept the CO or not.
Why did you even bother to go thru the whole DSA process for that "another school" when you aren't really interested in it?

Likes someone mentioned, if you have a WL from a preferred school, then just put it as 1st choice and CO as 2nd choice, assuming you still donch mind going to the "another school"
I agree. There is no point in applying for DSA to a school unless you are prepared to accept the offer.

We applied to one as our third choice which wasn't ideal for our son but we would have accepted it if he didn't get an offer from either of the others and/or his prelim results suggested that he wouldn't have many good options through his T-Score. It would still have enabled him to continue with his CCA which is where his interest lies.


Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Oct 28,
Total Likes:29

Re: DSA 2019

Post by Imp75 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:20 pm

For my eldest she had only a dream school
But we applied 3 as she was ok going to either of the other 2 since the dream school was ultra competitive and we weren’t confident at all. For my younger, since Sister already in dream school, we only applied the dream school but daddy wanted a backup which the younger didn’t mind too....

pandabear88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 25,

Re: DSA 2019

Post by pandabear88 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 am

nms1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm
Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm
pandabear88 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:42 pm
My DD has a CO from another school and we are in a dilemma whether to accept the CO or not.
Why did you even bother to go thru the whole DSA process for that "another school" when you aren't really interested in it?

Likes someone mentioned, if you have a WL from a preferred school, then just put it as 1st choice and CO as 2nd choice, assuming you still donch mind going to the "another school"
I agree. There is no point in applying for DSA to a school unless you are prepared to accept the offer.

We applied to one as our third choice which wasn't ideal for our son but we would have accepted it if he didn't get an offer from either of the others and/or his prelim results suggested that he wouldn't have many good options through his T-Score. It would still have enabled him to continue with his CCA which is where his interest lies.
Thanks all for the replies. Based on DD's P5 and P6 SA1 results, we applied for two DSA schools whose COPs are just slightly above the probable range of her estimated T-score as well as one school that is within the range. We were prepared to accept any schools that we applied and receive the CO. DD did very well for her Prelims and the estimated T-score (using raw score * 0.72) was higher than the top scorer who entered the third school school via S1 posting in the previous year. We I asked her how she felt about the PSLE, she just said some of the papers were difficult and she would not get the score that she obtained for her Prelims. Hence, we ended up in the dilemma.

We are inclined to let her make her own decision and told her that there is no right or wrong decision. Every decision is a good decision. She is still thinking about it.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Oct 28,
Total Likes:29

Re: DSA 2019

Post by Imp75 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am

pandabear88 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 am
nms1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm
Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm


Why did you even bother to go thru the whole DSA process for that "another school" when you aren't really interested in it?

Likes someone mentioned, if you have a WL from a preferred school, then just put it as 1st choice and CO as 2nd choice, assuming you still donch mind going to the "another school"
I agree. There is no point in applying for DSA to a school unless you are prepared to accept the offer.

We applied to one as our third choice which wasn't ideal for our son but we would have accepted it if he didn't get an offer from either of the others and/or his prelim results suggested that he wouldn't have many good options through his T-Score. It would still have enabled him to continue with his CCA which is where his interest lies.
Thanks all for the replies. Based on DD's P5 and P6 SA1 results, we applied for two DSA schools whose COPs are just slightly above the probable range of her estimated T-score as well as one school that is within the range. We were prepared to accept any schools that we applied and receive the CO. DD did very well for her Prelims and the estimated T-score (using raw score * 0.72) was higher than the top scorer who entered the third school school via S1 posting in the previous year. We I asked her how she felt about the PSLE, she just said some of the papers were difficult and she would not get the score that she obtained for her Prelims. Hence, we ended up in the dilemma.

We are inclined to let her make her own decision and told her that there is no right or wrong decision. Every decision is a good decision. She is still thinking about it.
I feel that 0.72 is a bit harsh to mark down the T score. For my gals PSLE over different years, they were 0.76/0.77 when compared to Prelims.

Bochapmum3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue May 29,
Total Likes:3

Re: DSA 2019

Post by Bochapmum3 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am

Imp75 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am
pandabear88 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 am
nms1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm


I agree. There is no point in applying for DSA to a school unless you are prepared to accept the offer.

We applied to one as our third choice which wasn't ideal for our son but we would have accepted it if he didn't get an offer from either of the others and/or his prelim results suggested that he wouldn't have many good options through his T-Score. It would still have enabled him to continue with his CCA which is where his interest lies.
Thanks all for the replies. Based on DD's P5 and P6 SA1 results, we applied for two DSA schools whose COPs are just slightly above the probable range of her estimated T-score as well as one school that is within the range. We were prepared to accept any schools that we applied and receive the CO. DD did very well for her Prelims and the estimated T-score (using raw score * 0.72) was higher than the top scorer who entered the third school school via S1 posting in the previous year. We I asked her how she felt about the PSLE, she just said some of the papers were difficult and she would not get the score that she obtained for her Prelims. Hence, we ended up in the dilemma.

We are inclined to let her make her own decision and told her that there is no right or wrong decision. Every decision is a good decision. She is still thinking about it.
I feel that 0.72 is a bit harsh to mark down the T score. For my gals PSLE over different years, they were 0.76/0.77 when compared to Prelims.
I will be happy enough if PSLE score turns out to be 0.72* prelims…Pray hard, because not so optimistic after knowing how my child feels and performs about each paper.

educatorasparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14,

Re: DSA 2019

Post by educatorasparent » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:25 pm

interesting

Post Reply