School Placement Exercise for returning S'porean children

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Re: School Placement Exercise for returning S'porean children

Post by mommyNg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 am

miaomead wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 am
we received a reply from a 40+ ranking school, asking us to return to take exams on science and chinese. any one got similar experience ? for chinese, we are confident as our son stayed in Shanghai for 10 years. for science, do not feel he will get good result as syllabus will be different ..
Try to get some PSLE and Sec 1 Science workbooks/assessment books and quickly go through as much as he can before the exams. If he can't get the physical books in time because he is in Shanghai, try online resources. Even if he is not answering the "right" way (aka PSLE answering techniques), as long as he is showing the right conceptual understanding, I think he will be fine. All the best!!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am

floppy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:44 am
miaomead wrote:
we received a reply from a 40+ ranking school, asking us to return to take exams on science and chinese. any one got similar experience ? for chinese, we are confident as our son stayed in Shanghai for 10 years. for science, do not feel he will get good result as syllabus will be different ..
Go ahead.
While the syllabus may be different, it’s not as if science works differently in CN compared to SG. School is probably aware of the differences in syllabus and that the student would not be able to answer all the questions.

As expressed earlier, the mid tier schools are usually more forthcoming with places due less applicants / less competition. It may not be the best / best-est schools but it wouldn’t be bad, and would certainly be more acceptable to you than your 150th school.
If they call him for tests, they are likely to give some leeway since they know your son comes from a different school system. Perhaps, in preparation, get a copy of the syllabus of the science your son has covered so far and submit it to the school? Maybe make copies of some of the work he has done in the past if you have something that is representative. This will help the teacher marking the science paper understand if there are gaps in his knowledge. And for Sec 1, everyone pretty much starts again. All the best!

And also, if necessary, assure the school that you will do your best to help him patch any gaps in his knowledge. Knowing that the child has parental support will be a positive.

miaomead
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by miaomead » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 am

thanks VERY MUCH for all the feedbacks.

Latifah_a
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Latifah_a » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm

stiook wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 am
Latifah_a wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:37 am
Hi..just got posting result for my son (going to Sec 1). The school posted were too far from my house, anybody ever approach to a nearby school for direct register?
Hi Latifah,

May I know how old is your son going into SEC 1? Reason I asked is that we are contemplating move back to SG maybe end of 2020. My son is 12 and should have taken the PSLE but if we return in Nov, he would not have take PSLE but yet cannot take SPERS as advised by MOE.

Reds
Hi Stiook,
My son is 12 y.o. If you return in Nov, perhaps you can take Supplementary Placement Excercise, this is the link.. usually the conduct SPE 1-2 months after SPERS.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/retur ... t-exercise

Hope my info can help

Wheat berries
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Wheat berries » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:34 am

Did you appeal to the MOE? Or school? What’s the outcome?

miaomead
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by miaomead » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:24 pm

thanks all. we settled at maris stella high school near Bartley MRT station. start of new journey …..

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:249

Post by floppy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:34 pm

miaomead wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:24 pm
thanks all. we settled at maris stella high school near Bartley MRT station. start of new journey …..
:wink: :lol:

floppy wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:20 pm

My opinion is that if missionary boys’ schools are your thing, you should aim for Maris or St Patrick’s, where competition for places is not so fierce.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm

miaomead wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:24 pm
Glad to hear you managed to settle this. So your son came back from overseas to take the tests? Or was he still in Singapore?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:329

Post by phtthp » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 pm

miaomead wrote:
we received a reply from a 40+ ranking school ,
asking us to return to take exams on Science and Chinese.

any one got similar experience ?
where to see this list of schools, that are ranked ?
who rank them ? MOE or some tuition centre rank them ?

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by mommyNg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am

phtthp wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 pm
miaomead wrote:
we received a reply from a 40+ ranking school ,
asking us to return to take exams on Science and Chinese.

any one got similar experience ?
where to see this list of schools, that are ranked ?
who rank them ? MOE or some tuition centre rank them ?
I believe it is the list that MOE gives to each SPERS student that indicates the schools he/she is eligible to put as one of the 6 choices based on the SPERS results.
Last edited by mommyNg on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.