DSA 2020

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Luxedream
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:15

Re: DSA 2020

Post by Luxedream » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Imp75 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 pm
so with all these suspension, this is quite nerve-wrecking for parents of sports children. So should we still pay the dollars and go for intensive training as per prior years or should we scale down training? Heard some sec sch sports CCAs have already scaled down from 3x to once a week. I wish MOE has more clarity on this than the mere word of suspension. I am still considering if I should invest in new sports gear /attire given that it is my daughter's final year of competition.
Find out directly from the relevant sporting body/association whether the competition will be proceeding. Call them up if you must.

Fencing Singapore has already announced the March competition as cancelled (previously suspended only).

It’s hard to expect the kids to be in best form after sports CCAs have been scaled down to 1x a week only.
When school scaled down the training from 3x to 1x a week, we immediately signed up for additional private lessons externally. Painful for the wallet but no choice, once lose form, very difficult to train back again.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:34

Post by Imp75 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am

zac's mum wrote:
Imp75 wrote:
so with all these suspension, this is quite nerve-wrecking for parents of sports children. So should we still pay the dollars and go for intensive training as per prior years or should we scale down training? Heard some sec sch sports CCAs have already scaled down from 3x to once a week. I wish MOE has more clarity on this than the mere word of suspension. I am still considering if I should invest in new sports gear /attire given that it is my daughter's final year of competition.
Find out directly from the relevant sporting body/association whether the competition will be proceeding. Call them up if you must.

Fencing Singapore has already announced the March competition as cancelled (previously suspended only).

It’s hard to expect the kids to be in best form after sports CCAs have been scaled down to 1x a week only.
Just curious why would fencing cancel the intersch comp? It's not a popular sport and the competitors are all covered up and it is a non-contact sports.

I have been asking the club coaches with some of them working for the sport association. No news yet.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:120

Post by zac's mum » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:04 am

Imp75 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am
zac's mum wrote:
Imp75 wrote:

Just curious why would fencing cancel the intersch comp? It's not a popular sport and the competitors are all covered up and it is a non-contact sports.

I have been asking the club coaches with some of them working for the sport association. No news yet.
I think they are just being extra safe. The competitors traditionally shake (ungloved) hands at the end of each match, with their fencing masks removed. It’s probably hard to change this habit of courtesy, in any sport actually.

There’s another annual comp in Sept, although the P6s do not usually take part.

aloyboy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by aloyboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 pm

SMOP cancelled 2nd round and RIPMWC is cancelled ..... no MO competition before May/June period..... only can based on last year awards I guess and results .... kind of different ball game for DSA this years due to COVID-19

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:120

Post by zac's mum » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:37 pm

It will go either way. If your child’s P5 portfolio was good, then you would cheer. If your child’s P5 portfolio had “room for improvement” and you were hoping for a better showing this year, then you would curse this Covid thingy.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:34

Post by Imp75 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm

aloyboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 pm
SMOP cancelled 2nd round and RIPMWC is cancelled ..... no MO competition before May/June period..... only can based on last year awards I guess and results .... kind of different ball game for DSA this years due to COVID-19
Thought SMOP and RIPMWC always around April? Why are they cancelling now?

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by coast » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Imp75 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm
aloyboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 pm
Thought SMOP and RIPMWC always around April? Why are they cancelling now?
RIPMWC around end Mar in the past.

SMOPS will be held on Friday, 27th March 2020 at the premises of the schools with participating students. It used to be all participants (a few thousands) doing SMOPS in HCI.

APMOPS (SMOPS Invitation Round) is cancelled. It was end May in the past. I guess they make a decision to cancel now as there are participants from other countries (Taiwan, Vietnam, ...) and logistics (air ticket, accomodation) has to be done in advance.

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by coast » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 pm

Not sure why RIPMWC has to be cancelled since it has always been held at at the premises of the schools with participating students (unlike SMOPS where it was held at HCI).

RIPMWC is done online so perhaps it has to do with lack of computer facilities (if students have to sit one seat apart due to coronavirus situation).

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by coast » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:37 pm
It will go either way. If your child’s P5 portfolio was good, then you would cheer. If your child’s P5 portfolio had “room for improvement” and you were hoping for a better showing this year, then you would curse this Covid thingy.
It should be okay as long as schools let majority who DSA Maths take their internal selection tests while considering their achievements in SMOPS (P6) and other P4/ P5 MO competitions.

waiyean
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by waiyean » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm

concerned_father wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
waiyean wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 am
Grade 6 theory exam is not required, however the DSA selection written test is approximately that level, so it would be good if candidate is familiar with Grade 6-8 theory. The written test and audition is conducted on the same day, took about 3 hours in total for my daughter. There will be a break in between.

Realistically, just a Grade 8 distinction in the instrument is not sufficient. Nowadays that is quite common, and many achieve that very early in their primary school life. Candidate would need to have a passion for music, demonstrate excellent achievements in competitions, and have a good understanding of the role of music in society and how it impacts us. I think having a leadership role, ie. CCA leader, prefect, etc. will also be advantageous.
Thanks waiyean. You mentioned that having a good understanding of the role of music in society and how it impacts us....

Wonder how to demonstrate this point? Are there questions during the interview stage for the school to find out on this?

I gathered from previous answers that the candidate will progress to the interview stage only if they pass the audition/theory stage... and the interview stage is conducted on a different day after the audition/theory stage for shortlisted candidates... am I right?

Also, sounds like it is good to submit other non-music CCA records to demonstrate other quality.. (eg. leadership)?
Hi, sorry took so long to answer, I don't frequent this thread, PM me if have questions.
Yes, there are questions in the written test, as well as in the interview that is related to role of music in society and how it impacts us. Mostly are questions that has no right or wrong answers, but you first need to have an opinion. How you discuss those points/opinions, will demonstrate that understanding.

Candidate will progress to interview stage only if they pass the audition/theory stage. Yes, you are right it will be conducted on a different day.

You do not have to submit CCAs that is done in school, that will be automatically submitted together with the P5/6 results. Only need to submit CCAs and other achievements done outside of school. You need to be strategic on the submission though, last year they only allowed 10 achievements to be submitted in the portal, each has a character limit of 300.