DSA 2020

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Re: DSA 2020

Post by deardear07 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm
nms1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm
greentara wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Sounds to me like your child has a talent for games development and coding.

The suitable DSA route for him based on this talent might be robotics / coding or something similar. If there is are school(s) that is looking for such talents and if the school is suitable for him, this is what I would do if I'm you:

Step 1: Create a portfolio of his works and make it available online, could be via a blog or some means,
Step 2: Include the hyperlink to this webpage in the DSA application under the "Section II: Non-school-based Awards/Activities" section.

Singapore needs more engineers and creators... best wishes.
Would he be interested in SST?
Thank u. Yes he is a very hands-on, practical kind of thinker. SST is on our radar, just not sure if he wants to do *only* robotics. For him, coding is just a means to an end. Compared to those kids who are extremely into Lego Robotics, Scratch/Python programming & those kinda competitions, he is no genius.

Hopefully next year we can go down on campus to look around and see actual student demos of what they learn in the labs.

I am not too keen on the fact that for SST, all their lessons/assignments are done on laptop/tablet?
actually, SST or not.. with this HBL, more n more schs will move towards electronics.. I only have 1 laptop n kids fighting over the use.. really trying to avoid buying another gadget.. shall see which sch the p6er is posted to to further decide.

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by Serendipity » Sat May 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Cool nurse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm
peasants wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm
Cool nurse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:48 pm

In terms of ranking, SCGS IP stands at 15th while SCGS O-level stands at 16
Where to reference this?
https://www.singaporego.com/top-secondary-schools-2020/
Hmm... that's not the latest COP in any case

Here's an updated list https://www.thewackyduo.com/2020/03/psl ... -2021.html

Cool nurse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by Cool nurse » Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:32 pm
Cool nurse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm
peasants wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Where to reference this?
https://www.singaporego.com/top-secondary-schools-2020/

But SCGS is also holding the 15th and 16th place at your list... :razz: And BTW Ejouz is not asking for the COP...she is asking for the ranking of the schools popularity :mad:
Last edited by Cool nurse on Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by zac's mum » Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 pm

@Deardear07...Yeah try to wait till Sec 1 to buy. I believe those schools where laptop is necessary, there will be some student price for them to buy certain brands with the required specifications.

I bought new laptop for my work recently...tried to claim from my boss under the govt flexiworking/WFH grant of $2000, but due to some minor red tape, he said our firm not under TAFEP don’t qualify so I can’t claim...Maybe U can ask your HR.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by lee_yl » Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 pm

anonymous22222 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 pm
Shld I change my dsa to scgs from English to leadership? I heard from my friend at scgs that they prefer non academic for dsa. I participated in PESA and scrabble competition for English and I am just a normal prefect in a uniformed group. Would my chances be higher?
Actually you can put SCGS Eng and Leadership as two out of the three choices. 3rd choice you can fill in a backup school or just leave it blank.

Perhaps Academic domain is more competitive? I recall my daughter told me her school teacher encouraged the girls to try using sports/CCA instead of academic. But again, unless one is head prefect or the vice-head, otherwise maybe use academic better?

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by Serendipity » Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Cool nurse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm
Serendipity wrote:

But SCGS is also holding the 15th and 16th place at your list... :razz: And BTW Ejouz is not asking for the COP...she is asking for the ranking of the schools popularity :mad:
Chill... not sure why you're mad... just following up with the same yardstick used in the earlier list which uses COP too anyway :shrug: and offering the latest data.

Cool nurse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by Cool nurse » Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm
Cool nurse wrote:
Serendipity wrote:

Chill... not sure why you're mad... just following up with the same yardstick used in the earlier list which uses COP too anyway :shrug: and offering the latest data.
No no...I am not mad...anyways thanks for correcting my information :smile:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:231

Post by floppy » Sat May 23, 2020 11:23 pm

Cool nurse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm
Cool nurse wrote:

No no...I am not mad...anyways thanks for correcting my information :smile:
COP is typically a proxy for a school’s popularity, not precise, but somewhere there. It’s easier to see them as a block. Hence, SCGS would be among the top 20 (~10%) most popular schools in Singapore.

PaPaK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:64

Post by PaPaK » Sun May 24, 2020 8:09 am

Hi deardear07,

You can try a Chromebook for your kid. I hesitated to get a laptop/tablet for my son but thought it might be a good opportunity to let him get used to working on a laptop as my daughter in RGS lives and breathes with a MacBook air.

I decided on an Edxis Chromebook recently as it is designed and priced for school going kids. Apparently some sec schools use this, even CJC.

I am pleasantly surprised with how useful this device has been for my son, beyond his HBL. He took free lessons from Coursera, read digital books from NLB and picked up simple coding on his own.

PaPaK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:64

Post by PaPaK » Sun May 24, 2020 8:16 am

Hi anonymous22222,

Acad domains are usually more competitive.

I won't worry about whether you are an ordinary prefect, head / vice head prefect or in the prefect exco. Leadership is first from the heart, then to action. It is more important to be able to demonstrate leadership.