Help! What can I do to improve my child's PSLE grades?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Help! What can I do to improve my child's PSLE grades?

Postby icygal37 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:16 am

Hello Everyone,

My child is having PSLE this year. She often does not fare well in school.
What should I do to help her?

Is there any enrichment or tution centres to recommend?
Or is there any reference books or assessment books to help her?

She does not have the interest or passion to learn and often fall asleep while revising.. :?:

icygal37
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help! What can I do to improve my child's PSLE grades?

Postby carebear » Sun May 09, 2010 12:41 am

icygal37 wrote:Hello Everyone,

My child is having PSLE this year. She often does not fare well in school.
What should I do to help her?

Is there any enrichment or tution centres to recommend?
Or is there any reference books or assessment books to help her?

She does not have the interest or passion to learn and often fall asleep while revising.. :?:

Oh dear it is quite late to catch up if she has not been consistent.
If you need to pick 1 subject to concentrate hard out of the 4, then i think it should be math.

Formula for T-Score
T = 50 + 10(X - Y) / Z

X = Raw score of student. Y = Average Score of the whole cohort. Z = Standard Deviation(SD)

In general, the SD for math is small, and the average score for the whole cohort is not so high.
So theoretically, a high score for math will pull her grades up.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icygal37 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:09 am

Thank you carebear.

But do you have any recommendation on how to go about improving her grades in Mathematics.

Me myself sometimes not able to answer her math questions. :(

I have even engaged a maths tutor for her but her grade doesnt seem to be improving. Is there any tution centres or maths tutor for recommendation?

Please advise.

icygal37
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun May 09, 2010 10:30 am

Does her main weakness lies in the more challenging problems in the last section? If so should consider those that do offer courses specially targeting this area. Example would be mathshub and mathoasis.
If not, you can consider the many names found under the thread "all about maths enrichment in primary school" @
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... .php?t=287

some of the centres might offer courses relevant to the above mentioned.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby icygal37 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Thank you coffeecat.

I will take a look at the link you have provided. Thanks.

Btw, do you all read the advertisment in Sunday Times Life Section... There is an education summit in June. There are quite a few reknowned speakers giving talk on how to learn proven strategies to score for PSLE and O levels. It seems that there will be memory skills, math, science, study smart topics to be covered on that 2 days.

Do you all think its good? Should I attend with my kid? :?

icygal37
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help! What can I do to improve my child's PSLE grades?

Postby Brenda10 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:20 pm

You may want to consider let her taking “multi-Vitamin and Mineral Liquid” and “Pure Cod Liver Oil” in the morning. My dd used to complaint tired in the morning as well as back from school. After taking the above mentioned two, her condition has improved a lot and the focus is also better.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icygal37 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Hello Brenda,

Thanks for the advices.

However, my daughter has difficult swallowing pills. Therefore, she is not able to have supplement in pills form.

Haiz..

icygal37
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby James Ang » Sun May 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Don't let your child spend too much too on computer games which can be highly addictive. I expect Maths to be tough because of the use of scientific calculators; it is unlikely that they set simple sums in PSLE that everyone can easily do. Set realistic expectations not low ones in order for your child to attain good results in PSLE Maths.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icygal37 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks James. I would heed your advices. I have tried to restrict him from using the pc for long hours.

By the way, I have bought tickets for Singapore Education Summit in the mentioned earlier post. I look at the event website and spoke to the customer service officer and find it really beneficial to go...International speaker like Andrew Matthews and renowned local educators are speakers for the event..hahah.. Also, I am a fan of Andrew Matthews..thats why I would like to take the opportunity to seek advices from him regarding my child during the lunch session...:)

icygal37
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection