Which Top School to choose for DSA?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Which Top School will you choose for DSA?

RI
18
35%
HCI
12
23%
NUSHS
10
19%
ACS(I)
6
12%
NJC
6
12%
 
Total votes : 52

Which Top School to choose for DSA?

Postby Heartlander » Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm

My son is in P6. He is doing well in his school and in competitions. For example, he scored Silver for the NMOS & Bronze for SMOPS. He has the most room for improvement for Chinese. He will do well enough to be in one of the top schools but not sure which one.

I am thinking of trying for the following for DSA:
1) RI
2) HCI
3) NUSHS
4) ACS(I)
5) NJC

Here are my questions:
A) RI vs HCI
I was an RI boy but my perception of HCI is that it is more progressive, takes more initiative, more engaging, more entrepreneural, etc. For example, they were first to merge the Sec & JC. They offer their own Diploma. They started HC International offering IB. Their SMOPS is well received. RI appears too elitist, and always one step slower. Objectively, would HCI be a better school for my child's development?

B) HCI vs NUSHS
My son is strong in Maths & Science. While NUSHS is strong in Maths & Science, HCI is also equally strong - judging from their performance in competitions like the SMO. So the real difference maybe just in perception & branding.

I am also concerned about the recognition for the NUSHS Diploma which is not as well established. Will that be a liability?

The DSA test/camp dates for HCI & NUSHS clashes (24-Jul-10). I am torn because we have to drop one option before we even try. There is always the thought that if I drop the one that would have offered the place, while the other didn't, it would be a loss. Anyone has any advice which one to drop?

C) ACS(I)'s IB Program
The IB program is a different animal from the GCE A Levels. There are lots of debates for it & against it. Is it a better program? Is it better recognised by the universities? I grew up with A Levels so I have an apprehension of the unfamiliar. I went for the open house and it was a positive impression. Anyone has any strong views on IB vs A Levels being the better option?

D) NJC?
If top tier of top is RI & HCI, I still need to have some options from 2nd tier of the top - just in case cannot get top tier. I consider NJC in that category. I visited the NJC open house and it was positive.

I know there is a limit to how many I can apply, but should I also look at Dunman, Anderson Secondary, etc. Anyone can advise?

Thanks.

Heartlander
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:53 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Which Top School to choose for DSA?

Postby ycpang » Wed May 12, 2010 12:05 am

Hi, I suggest that we also include DHS, RVHS, RGS, NYGH (all the IP schools) in the poll. Thanks.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby wiimum » Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 am

I suggest not to apply for more than 4, 3 would be more manageable. First , it will cost you $$ and more importantly, time and effort(fill forms, attend interviews, test).

Most important, take your child to each of the open house and ask him to spend time talking to the seniors and get a feel of which he prefers. That is really important because he is the one to spend the next 6 years of his life(not a short period!).

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 3


RI vs HCI

Postby naggo-nitemare » Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 am

Having read the respective school's write-ups on their programmes n achievements, I initially felt tt HCI sounded more sincere and impressive. However, my P6 son felt otherwise. He used the analogy of pork. He said tt HCI's trumpeting of its achievements is like selling pork by emphasising tt the meat is 80% lean while failing to mention the 20% fats.

Based on the last 2 years' A levels, RI seems to hv an edge. Another impt reason to consider RI is the greater racial diversity of the school's population.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:04 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: RI vs HCI

Postby ycpang » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 am

naggo-nitemare wrote:He said tt HCI's trumpeting of its achievements is like selling pork by emphasising tt the meat is 80% lean while failing to mention the 20% fats.


which school doesn't do that?

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby naggo-nitemare » Wed May 12, 2010 11:47 am

i guess my son is more impressed with the subtlety n humility of the RI's write-up.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:04 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am

HCI is a SAP school, RI is not

HCI culture is more team work / consensus (community above self) , RI stresses a lot on individual performance (personal observation and feedback after talking to students / parents)

both has their own science and research program

HCI has CSE, RI has RP

HCI has Bicultural Excellency Program, RI ??(someone please confirm)

HCI top students get direct entry to top uni in China (even the PRC kids are envious)

HCI exchange program : China / US / Europe
RI exchange program : US / Europe / India ? (someone please confirm)

HCI - all takes higher chinese, malay as 3rd language

RI - higher chinese optional (one parent joked that her kids CL standard will drop if go to RI)

HCI - since 1909
RI - since 1823

HCI - once a communist 'hot bed'
RI - once a colonialist

Both are excellent schools, if the child can get in any one of them should still be fine ..... unless we are up to splitting hair

Advertising on the number of president scholars / queen's / SAF / PSC scholars they produced are normal for every institution. eg DHS
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby xxjustakidxx » Wed May 12, 2010 8:19 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:HCI is a SAP school, RI is not

HCI culture is more team work / consensus (community above self) , RI stresses a lot on individual performance (personal observation and feedback after talking to students / parents)

both has their own science and research program

HCI has CSE, RI has RP

HCI has Bicultural Excellency Program, RI ??(someone please confirm)

HCI top students get direct entry to top uni in China (even the PRC kids are envious)

HCI exchange program : China / US / Europe
RI exchange program : US / Europe / India ? (someone please confirm)

HCI - all takes higher chinese, malay as 3rd language

RI - higher chinese optional (one parent joked that her kids CL standard will drop if go to RI)

HCI - since 1909
RI - since 1823

HCI - once a communist 'hot bed'
RI - once a colonialist

Both are excellent schools, if the child can get in any one of them should still be fine ..... unless we are up to splitting hair

Advertising on the number of president scholars / queen's / SAF / PSC scholars they produced are normal for every institution. eg DHS


Eh I emphasize not all take malay, only conversational malay at sec 2. For half of us, its a forth language, instead.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:44 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ruyu » Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 pm

phankao wrote:
naggo-nitemare wrote:i guess my son is more impressed with the subtlety n humility of the RI's write-up.


It's more like RI doesn't really need to blow their trumpet to get students, lah. In fact, if they don't have an Open House - not a problem either, i'm sure!


THEY HAVE A OPEN HOUSE 22nd MAY~~!!!!!!

ruyu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 pm

ruyu wrote:
phankao wrote:
naggo-nitemare wrote:i guess my son is more impressed with the subtlety n humility of the RI's write-up.


It's more like RI doesn't really need to blow their trumpet to get students, lah. In fact, if they don't have an Open House - not a problem either, i'm sure!


THEY HAVE A OPEN HOUSE 22nd MAY~~!!!!!!


Of course I know they are having an open house and they do have every year ... but I was saying that they don't really need one bc they will not be short of applicants.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection