Are PSLE exams set by MOE

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Are PSLE exams set by MOE

Postby optimistforum » Mon May 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Are PSLE exams set by MOE? Ie, Do all P6 students sit the same paper? Also, can anyone name sites with downloadable PSLE papers and answers?

Thanks
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Are PSLE exams set by MOE

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm

optimistforum wrote:Are PSLE exams set by MOE? Ie, Do all P6 students sit the same paper? Also, can anyone name sites with downloadable PSLE papers and answers?

Thanks

since there is an authorized seller of past psle qns by topics, it will be very hard to find what you want on the net.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby optimistforum » Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Is the MOE the authorised seller? If yes, what is the name and contact details of the agent whom distributes them?
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 am
Total Likes: 6


Postby mrswongtuition » Mon May 31, 2010 7:57 pm

PSLE is set by SEAB (www.seab.gov.sg). Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board.
They are already 'privatised'.

In the past, they will release the papers for free and many publishers will publish the 'ten-year-series'.
Now, the have authorised publisher (they have to bid $$ for the rights to print). If I recall correctly, the current authorised publisher is EPH (Educational Publishing House). [I just found out there are a few more authorised publishers from SEAB's website:
http://www.seab.gov.sg/psle/pslePublications.html]

The papers have been compiled into a book and they are sold at Popular (www.popular.com.sg). I think it's $4 per book. Local students can order through their school (cheaper).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby optimistforum » Mon May 31, 2010 8:09 pm

Thankyou very much mrswongtuition. :D
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 am
Total Likes: 6



Postby starlight1968sg » Mon May 31, 2010 8:38 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:The papers have been compiled into a book and they are sold at Popular (www.popular.com.sg). I think it's $4 per book. Local students can order through their school (cheaper).

Mrs Wong,
Does this $4 per book consist of only a set of papers on a subject? I am surprised to know its existence in Popular.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10126
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:43 am
Total Likes: 23


Postby mrswongtuition » Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
mrswongtuition wrote:The papers have been compiled into a book and they are sold at Popular (www.popular.com.sg). I think it's $4 per book. Local students can order through their school (cheaper).

Mrs Wong,
Does this $4 per book consist of only a set of papers on a subject? I am surprised to know its existence in Popular.


They do not put it year by year. They actually categorise into topics, then have a range of questions in there. Then at the end, there are a few specimen papers (full papers).

Each book is 1 subject. I personally have English, Maths, Science.
They also have Tamil, Malay, Foundation subjects.

Popular has them. I bought them in Jan this year. I don't see large quantities of them now, but if you look carefully, they normally display them near the cashier.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby joconde » Mon May 31, 2010 9:40 pm

My son's sch made them buy these books for all 4 subjects as revision. The sch teacher will go thru the answers with them. The strange thing is that there's no answer sheet provided in the books. I wonder how a parent can check the child's work without answers provided ?

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Brenda10 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:39 pm

joconde wrote:My son's sch made them buy these books for all 4 subjects as revision. The sch teacher will go thru the answers with them. The strange thing is that there's no answer sheet provided in the books. I wonder how a parent can check the child's work without answers provided ?


Hi joconde

There are two types. One packed with the answer sheet (more costly) and the other without. However you can still purchase the answer sheet separately. Usually the answer sheets are sale at the same track too.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby Pen88n » Mon May 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Brenda10 wrote:
joconde wrote:My son's sch made them buy these books for all 4 subjects as revision. The sch teacher will go thru the answers with them. The strange thing is that there's no answer sheet provided in the books. I wonder how a parent can check the child's work without answers provided ?


Hi joconde

There are two types. One packed with the answer sheet (more costly) and the other without. However you can still purchase the answer sheet separately. Usually the answer sheets are sale at the same track too.


Starting this year, all are packed with answer sheet when you purchase from popular. Only when you purchase from school that you can get those sold without answer sheet (as the school do not want the students to get the answer sheet). And it seems like from popular, they do not sell the answer sheet separately anymore. I just enquired and they told me so.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am
Total Likes: 70


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection