NJC or HCI ?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

NJC or HCI ?

NJC
38%
HCI
62%

Total votes : 102

NJC or HCI ?

Postby ApronMama » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:27 am

Both are located at the same area. Both are IP. Both will do HCL for Chinese. Considering various reason, such as school fee, facilities, programme(modular and non-modular), tradition, ... anymore ? If given a choice, which one will be the first choice for your boy? What would be your main reason ?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: NJC or HCI ?

Postby ApronMama » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am

Ha, ha... looks like it is striaght forward and no need to compare :wink:

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:04 pm

ApronMama wrote:Ha, ha... looks like it is striaght forward and no need to compare :wink:

as an ex-NJCian, I am disappointed with the present NJC in so many aspects
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hoskins8h » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:

And I was somewhat disappointed with the old one.
NJC fees cheaper than HCI, but probably misses out on some programs that independent schools offer eg Home econs.

hoskins8h
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wonderm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:07 pm

hoskins8h wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:

And I was somewhat disappointed with the old one.
NJC fees cheaper than HCI, but probably misses out on some programs that independent schools offer eg Home econs.

Don't think HCI offers Home Econs. But I know what you mean. If we look at their A Level results, the difference is quite obvious. Of course, academic performance is just one consideration. The 2 schools are also different in many ways.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:10 pm

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with NJC when I went for their Open House. The syllabus and student leaders who brought us around were not impressive. We wrote them off our list of DSA schools very quickly.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:36 pm

jtoh wrote:To be honest, I wasn't impressed with NJC when I went for their Open House. The syllabus and student leaders who brought us around were not impressive. We wrote them off our list of DSA schools very quickly.

exactly
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Then can someone enlighten me why NJC cut-off is higher than HCI (exclude HCL), given HCI after DSA still has more vacancies than NJC ?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hoskins8h » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 pm

ApronMama wrote:Then can someone enlighten me why NJC cut-off is higher than HCI (exclude HCL), given HCI after DSA still has more vacancies than NJC ?

My guess is that there are significantly more IP single-gender places for boys than for girls. For boys, there's RI, HCI, ACS(I)? For girls RGS, NYG. NYG with many affliated students will have a raised COP. So girls with scores below RGS/NYG cut-off will naturally apply to NJC, DHS, maybe RVH (less popular because of distance). NJC, DHS girl:boy ratio is 2:1. MOE has closed the IP doors, so some of the good girl schools (eg St Nics, MGS, SCGS) have had their IP application rejected.

hoskins8h
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 am

ApronMama wrote:Then can someone enlighten me why NJC cut-off is higher than HCI (exclude HCL), given HCI after DSA still has more vacancies than NJC ?

Last year, the COPS for both schools were the same at 257. One possible explanation could be that NJC has a smaller intake than HCI. Therefore the cut-off at which the last student was admitted into NJC was higher.

Also, NJC is a co-ed school while HCI is an all-boys school. Girls generally do better than boys at PSLE. Hence the higher COPS for all-girls schools as compared to all-boys schools. High scoring girls who were unable to gain admission to RGS and NYGH may opt for NJC as it's an IP school as compared against SCGS and MGS. Hence driving up the COP for NJC.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection