Fractured right wrist two weeks before PSLE!

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Fractured right wrist two weeks before PSLE!

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 am

Dear All:

My DS broke his right wrist last week, and he is right handed! two weeks before listening PSLE, four weeks from PSLE writting papers! :x :cry:

School has applied the special consideration for him. Does anyone know what kind of "consideration" will be given?

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 am

ruohoo97,

That is some bad timing. Understand your fears and anger and worries
But stay strong something will workout soon, have faith and do your bit.


Hope he recovers soon :pray:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 145


Postby Jennifer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 am

Really sorry to hear this.

Maybe you should write an email to MOE and ask them what special consideration is provided. Get a written confirmation and make sure the school carries out on the days of written paper.

Is the doctor able to recommend how to speed up recovery?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Postby BlurBee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 am

Oh, so sorry to heard that.

Hope he recovers soon :pray:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Fractured right wrist two weeks before PSLE!

Postby phankao » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:29 pm

ruohoo97 wrote:Dear All:

My DS broke his right wrist last week, and he is right handed! two weeks before listening PSLE, four weeks from PSLE writting papers! :x :cry:

School has applied the special consideration for him. Does anyone know what kind of "consideration" will be given?


He would have switched to the lighter fibre-plaster after a week in the heavy cast, right? He should be able to write by then, I think, even in cast? I think MOE will only give extra time. Unless they are prepared to get a computer ready for him to type his answers? How to do math by typing - that one cannot, right?

There was a boy in ds' school 2 years ago that did his PSLE with hand in the fibre-cast. I think he was only given more time. When my ds2 broke his wrist last year, he took advantage of the 1 week MC, but the moment he changed to the fibrecast and stepped back into school, the rest of the 5 weeks in the fibrecast, he did LOADS of homework - yeah, writing. So scary, but I think kids really manage and heal well. A little more tiring on the hand/arm though. - certainly.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6



Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:ruohoo97,

That is some bad timing. Understand your fears and anger and worries
But stay strong something will workout soon, have faith and do your bit.


Hope he recovers soon :pray:

Thank you! I have been praying :pray: :pray:

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks for all well wishes.
Yes, he is on heavy cast from hand to the middle of upper arm. Doc said he will cut the cast to elbow level after two weeks which is one week before Oct 6.

The school has been very helpful. They submitted doc letter etc. We are waiting for the reply from MOE. He may be given extra time for written papers. But now, DS feels pain even after 5 mins writting, he can't move (not allowed) to move wrist, so must move the whole arm in order to write. he is trying to use left hand, but not better either. We just pray.......

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby duriz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:51 pm

ruohoo97 wrote:Thanks for all well wishes.
Yes, he is on heavy cast from hand to the middle of upper arm. Doc said he will cut the cast to elbow level after two weeks which is one week before Oct 6.

The school has been very helpful. They submitted doc letter etc. We are waiting for the reply from MOE. He may be given extra time for written papers. But now, DS feels pain even after 5 mins writting, he can't move (not allowed) to move wrist, so must move the whole arm in order to write. he is trying to use left hand, but not better either. We just pray.......


Sorry to hear.
How about some physiotherapy from now until then?
If not, get your DS to exercise his hand by clamping on stress balls lightly (for strength), picking red beans from rice with his fingers (for dexterity), twirling his pen (kids love this) and learning to or putting on a tie?
Simple movements everyday should ease him into the stressful PSLE.

Good luck and my best wishes to your DS.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:16 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:51 pm

ruohoo97 wrote:Thanks for all well wishes.
Yes, he is on heavy cast from hand to the middle of upper arm. Doc said he will cut the cast to elbow level after two weeks which is one week before Oct 6.

The school has been very helpful. They submitted doc letter etc. We are waiting for the reply from MOE. He may be given extra time for written papers. But now, DS feels pain even after 5 mins writting, he can't move (not allowed) to move wrist, so must move the whole arm in order to write. he is trying to use left hand, but not better either. We just pray.......


If he is on heavy cast, he won't be able to write well, and it is really too soon too. I think it will heal more in the next 2 weeks and he will gain strength. But yes, definitely will need more time to finish the paper. ;(

*sigh*.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby joconde » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 am

Hi ruohoo97, hope ur child will get well soon !

My son's teacher has told his class that if, for some reason, a child is too sick to write during PSLE, the sch will arrange for a teacher to write on this behalf. The child will have to recite letter by letter, and the teacher will write it down for him. :stupid:

Not sure if it's true or the teacher was just joking.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection