Should use pens or pencils during psle?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Should use pens or pencils during psle?

Postby octopusmum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:43 am

Hi all
Will your child be using pens or pencils to do maths problem sums this wed?
Ds said he prefers to use pencil cause it is easier to change workings. If he uses pen and the workings r wrong, he may not have enough spAce after cancellation.

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Should use pens or pencils during pale?

Postby joconde » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:54 am

octopusmum wrote:Hi all
Ds said he prefers to use pencil cause it is easier to change workings. If he uses pen and the workings r wrong, he may not have enough spAce after cancellation.

i have asked my son to use eraseable (friction) pen for math problem sums. For the rest, he'll probably use a normal pen.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby James Ang » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 am

use a good writing pen, 2B pencil (for OAS), a good eraser, and bring along spare ones for the exam.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby octopusmum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 am

Tks for the advice . Never heard of eraseable pen. Going to the stationery store to check it out now!

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:50 am

Some time back, erasable pens were not allowed in national exams. You might want to check it out.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby joconde » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 pm

jtoh wrote:Some time back, erasable pens were not allowed in national exams. You might want to check it out.

tat's what i'm afraid too. do they actually check the stationary on the spot ? anyway, in case the invigilator stops him from using one during the exam, he'll simply switch to normal pen.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby octopusmum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:08 pm

i didn't know that they were not allowed. in fact, didn't know that they existed! just bought 3. not cheap, at $3.95 each! gosh, why is it not allowed? i thought those r good for exams!
regards

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smurfette3 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:31 pm

jtoh wrote:Some time back, erasable pens were not allowed in national exams. You might want to check it out.

I heard from a friend that her teacher did not allow them to use pencils. I think not so advisable to use pencils.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:35 pm

PENS!!! and permanent one. You do not want the marker to accidentally erase or rub the wordings in the comp or working right??
PENCIL (2B) for OCS.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HaleyCopterz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:56 pm

mummyjoyce wrote:

PENS!!! and permanent one. You do not want the marker to accidentally erase or rub the wordings in the comp or working right??
PENCIL (2B) for OCS.

That is what I advise my students too. Usually pencils are used for drawings or for OCS. There is no hard and fast rule to bar the use of pencils, it is just a risk as writings in pencil can get smudged. The markers are marking in a non air-con room, they will perspire and all that.

HaleyCopterz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection