Puzzled Mummy

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Puzzled Mummy

Postby the_mum_next_door » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:55 pm

My girl scored 267 and thinks of putting RGS as her 1st choice. COP for last year was 266. Do you think she's taking the risk? :? Will NYHS stand a better chance for her?(HCL:Merit. +2=269) Hai ya...headache...

the_mum_next_door
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sitialawiya » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:39 pm

congrats! that's a good result! Which pri sch was she frm? No harm trying RGS. I'd prefer RGS than NYH.. it's more multi racial and is strong in their CCAs too..

sitialawiya
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Puzzled Mummy

Postby kanjuanmum » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:42 am

HCL-2 bonus point cannot use for RGS but she still stands a very high chance. I would advise RGS and after 4th year to RJC.

kanjuanmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re:

Postby lotus123 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 pm

sitialawiya wrote:congrats! that's a good result! Which pri sch was she frm? No harm trying RGS. I'd prefer RGS than NYH.. it's more multi racial and is strong in their CCAs too..

OMG the COP in 2011 for RGS was 260. no wonder my neighbour's gal who got 261 for psle last year didn't get RGS. she's with NJC. and 1 year later the COP is 6 points higher. Looks like soon only gals who score 270 and above can get into RGS!

lotus123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Re:

Postby lotus123 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:45 pm

lotus123 wrote:
sitialawiya wrote:congrats! that's a good result! Which pri sch was she frm? No harm trying RGS. I'd prefer RGS than NYH.. it's more multi racial and is strong in their CCAs too..

OMG the COP in 2011 for RGS was 260. no wonder my neighbour's gal who got 261 for psle last year didn't get RGS. she's with NJC. and 1 year later the COP is 6 points higher. Looks like soon only gals who score 270 and above can get into RGS!

sorry-- COP for RGS in 2010 was 260 as that was the score printed in the sec sch selection book given out to the P6 students last year. my neighbour's gal with a score of 261 didn't get RGS last year as according to you COP last year was 266 and this year it might be even higher as I heard alot of kids scored 260 and above. you can try but the risk is if you don't get your 1st choice, the computer may not give you your 2nd choice as students selecting your 2nd choice sch as their 1st choice would be given priority. then by the time the computer gets to students who selected that particular school as 2nd choice there might not be any vacancies left. that's the risk you have to take . anyway congrats on getting 267.it's awesome!

lotus123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 pm

lotus123 wrote:

Huh?? Why 261 cant get in when cop is 260??
Maybe she just prefer njc...

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:50 pm

lotus123 wrote:
lotus123 wrote:

sorry-- COP for RGS in 2010 was 260 as that was the score printed in the sec sch selection book given out to the P6 students last year. my neighbour's gal with a score of 261 didn't get RGS last year as according to you COP last year was 266 and this year it might be even higher as I heard alot of kids scored 260 and above. you can try but the risk is if you don't get your 1st choice, the computer may not give you your 2nd choice as students selecting your 2nd choice sch as their 1st choice would be given priority. then by the time the computer gets to students who selected that particular school as 2nd choice there might not be any vacancies left. that's the risk you have to take . anyway congrats on getting 267.it's awesome!

The info in red is wrong. RGS COP last year was 261, as far as I recall. The girl who didn't get in was probably below the COP when decimal points were taken into account.

Also, the choice order does not work like that - please read the info in the grey book carefully. The girl in question should put RGS as her first choice if she wants to try, but just make sure there are some 'safe' schools in her list of 6.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lotus123 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:05 pm

lotus123 wrote:
lotus123 wrote:

oops juz realised I just replied to a post in 2008. sori guys!

lotus123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:24 pm

the_mum_next_door wrote:My girl scored 267 and thinks of putting RGS as her 1st choice. COP for last year was 266. Do you think she's taking the risk? :? Will NYHS stand a better chance for her?(HCL:Merit. +2=269) Hai ya...headache...
There is NO risk at all. If her ranking qualifies for NYHS, she will still get it even if she put NYHS as 2nd choice (assuming that her 1st choice is RGS and is not successful). Anyway 267 should be ok for RGS.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VALyap » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:43 pm

your DD shld be OK, MUST indicate 1st choice.

VALyap
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection