Is PSLE so important?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Vanilla Cake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi ChiefKiasu,

Thank you for listening to us.Just to add further facts and figures :

For my younger sister's case, only 2 made it to GEP. These 2 are boys.
For my case, only 1 qualify for RGS. The one with 269.

Hi lizawa / ks2me,

Thank you for your valuable input & encouragement.

Hopefully by the time that my sister takes PSLE 2011, calculation of PSLE T-scores will be as clear as blue sky and not like rocket science.

:D

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Luanee » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:24 am

Vanilla Cake wrote:To be honest to you, it's sad to have a Mum from RGS. Too much pressure for both myself and younger sister to excel academically.Below is the list of COP for RGS based on the past 4 years.
Hello Vanilla, I was from RGS too and now I have 2 young daughters. Seriously speaking, looking at my current elder one at K2, I dont expect her to get into RGS at all :P

Think the reason why ur mum has such high hopes is becoz both of u are showing some potential of doing well (eg. GEP). So it's not without basis that she wishes you to go to RGS.

Anyway the PSLE T-score is also like rocket science to me. All the best to ur sis and I am sure your mum would be proud of u two regardless which schools u end up in!

caroline3sg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by caroline3sg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:29 am

luanee
Same as you. My girl can't get in RGSS. I think now even more stress than our times.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Vanilla Cake wrote:To be honest to you, it's sad to have a Mum from RGS. Too much pressure for both myself and younger sister to excel academically.Below is the list of COP for RGS based on the past 4 years.
Moi from RGS too. When I showed my hubby the above post, he too warned me not to get too beaten up if my gal can't get into RGS (9 years down the road). Most important is to recognise their effort in learning. :wink:

Priskhipo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Priskhipo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi all RGS Moms,

Moi not from RGS... of course will never able to understand the sentiments that all you have.

I have a friend who is old girl of RGS and would like to share her story.

Both of us have children of the same age and few years back, both were going through the same rigorous trial of PSLE.

She had a miserable year of crying because she kept wondering why her children can't be like her - love to study hard for exams and kept comparing them to her RGS friends whose children were doing well like their moms. She said she felt shameful whenever she had class gathering when they talked about their children's achievement. (BTW, her child got 240+)

I just feel sad for her and her children because they are missing out the best time of their life - bonding and sharing.

It is good to motivate your children to do well. But if they have other talents or interest, let them be. Through supporting their interest, they know you are putting them themselves as your piority not their achievement for you as your piority. In turn, they are willing to work hard to make you proud of them. If a child is being push too hard, he may not want work hard just to spite his parents.

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Luanee » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:47 am

Hi caroline and chamonix, which year did u graduated from RGSS?

Yeah I agree that we shouldn't expect our girls to perform as well as us, given the fact that only 50% of their genes are from us. We can only blame ourselves for not choosing a RI husband!! LOL :D

caroline3sg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by caroline3sg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am

Priskhipo
Thanks for sharing your friend's story. In fact, I have been through your friend's stage (not compare with friends' kids but compare with me) when my girl was in P1/2. I spent a lot of effort teaching her but she couldn't hit 90 marks. Imagine for 2 full yrs, when I reach home at 7am, I put down everything, no dinner & no shower, sit down with her till 9pm or so.

I slowly reduce my expectation to 80 marks when in P3/4. Again she can't hit. I can see that she does not have the calibre to go RGSS. Then I tell myself, RGPS is very stressful, RGSS also should be, if not more. I don't want both of us to go through the stressful life. Then I set the target to go MGSS/St. Margaret (70 - 75 marks). I don't think she can go MGSS. For St. Margaret she has to work very very hard. It may not be reachable since it is affialiated sch. But no other girl's sch already. Now can only try her best.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:31

Post by jedamum » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:34 am

caroline3sg wrote: But no other girl's sch already. Now can only try her best.
cedar girls. :wink:

caroline3sg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by caroline3sg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Jedamum
Cedar out of the way. We are staying at CCK.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Luanee wrote:Hi caroline and chamonix, which year did u graduated from RGSS?
1988. How about you?
Yeah I agree that we shouldn't expect our girls to perform as well as us, given the fact that only 50% of their genes are from us. We can only blame ourselves for not choosing a RI husband!! LOL :D
That's exactly what I told my hubby - I'll keep in mind that half their genes are from him! :D