Which Secondary school to choose in the East

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Which Secondary school to choose in the East

Postby Roundeyes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:07 pm

We are staying at Simei/Tampines area. Which secondary school should we choose for a boy?
He is in St Hilda's Pri and would definitely get in St Hilda's Sec if he put it at the first choice. His results is average.
If I put:
Dunman High
Victory Sec
Angelican High
Chung cheng High
St Hilda's Sec

Is it a good arrangement? Have to put in 6 schools but I do not know what else to put. Any suggestions?

Roundeyes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ttlkbs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm also in the east. My 6 choices for DS are :
VS
Anglican
Chung Cheng High (Main)
TKSS
Temasek
Ngee Ann

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby Roundeyes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm

ttlkbs wrote:I'm also in the east. My 6 choices for DS are :
VS
Anglican
Chung Cheng High (Main)
TKSS
Temasek
Ngee Ann


Dear ttlkbs,

What is good about Ngee Ann and TKSS? I check the school website, they do not have any affiliated JC. It is better to choose one that has an affiliation so they can deduct 2 points at the GCE O level to get into the JC.
St Hilda's Sec is affiliated to SAJC.. would it be a better choice?

My friend stay near Temasek and she say that the pupils were quite roundy. Is that true?

Roundeyes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Which Secondary school to choose in the East

Postby koguma » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Roundeyes wrote:We are staying at Simei/Tampines area. Which secondary school should we choose for a boy?
He is in St Hilda's Pri and would definitely get in St Hilda's Sec if he put it at the first choice. His results is average.
If I put:
Dunman High
Victory Sec
Angelican High
Chung cheng High
St Hilda's Sec

Is it a good arrangement? Have to put in 6 schools but I do not know what else to put. Any suggestions?


IMHO, if your son results is average, then it may not be a good idea for your son apply for Dunman High. Its cutoff for this year is 258. Unless you want to let your son apply Dunman High via DSA.

Before you decide which school to choose, suggest you check out the cutoff point for each school.

For my case, I look at what the schools offer to the students in Sec 3. I prefer schools which have lot of choices in their sec 3 subject combinations. Example, I wont' choose schools that only offer 2 Pure sciences instead of 3.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby ttlkbs » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Roundeyes wrote:
ttlkbs wrote:I'm also in the east. My 6 choices for DS are :
VS
Anglican
Chung Cheng High (Main)
TKSS
Temasek
Ngee Ann


Dear ttlkbs,

What is good about Ngee Ann and TKSS? I check the school website, they do not have any affiliated JC. It is better to choose one that has an affiliation so they can deduct 2 points at the GCE O level to get into the JC.
St Hilda's Sec is affiliated to SAJC.. would it be a better choice?

My friend stay near Temasek and she say that the pupils were quite roundy. Is that true?


I'm not familar with Ngee Ann but heard a lot abt TKSS, almost good comments. Of course it is better to go to a sec sch with afflication to a JC but if DS's result is no good, then we've limited choices. So far, DS's form teacher has nvr mentioned St Hilda to the children.
I suppose u're refering to Temasek Sec? Yes, quite rowdy. Some students will just gather & sit at the void deck as though having picnic. I did reprimand them once when i saw them dirtied the place.

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm
Total Likes: 3



Re: Which Secondary school to choose in the East

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Roundeyes wrote:We are staying at Simei/Tampines area. Which secondary school should we choose for a boy?
He is in St Hilda's Pri and would definitely get in St Hilda's Sec if he put it at the first choice. His results is average.
If I put:

Dunman High 258
Victoria Sec 245
Angelican High 240
Chung cheng High 236
St Hilda's Sec 227 (non-affliation)

Is it a good arrangement? Have to put in 6 schools but I do not know what else to put. Any suggestions?


My 2 cents contribution .....

The National Average for PSLE T-score hovers around 230 every year, +/-, and if based on that figure as an average score, than schools like Dunman High, Victoria, Anglican High and Chung Cheng Main are out. See the COPs for 2010 Secondary 1 in red next to the school.

And if you put St Hilda's as the 5th or 6th choice, then you do not enjoy affiliation status anymore, so means your son would have to get a minimum of 227 to get in and even that, there is no guarantee that the COP for St Hilda's will remain, go up or go down this year.

Use your 6 choices wisely, you only have one chance, do not waste that one chance. Apply for the above schools only if your son's T-score is a few points, +/-, from those schools you listed. Don't waste your choices. They are too precious to be wasted.

Yes, appeal is possible after you realised your mistake and make the wrong choice, but the appeal process is tedious and stressful.
Guest
 

Postby ttlkbs » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:02 pm

DS does not take HMT in pri sch, can he choose to do normal MT if goes to SAP school, eg. Anglican High?

Can anyone advise pls?

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby koguma » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:24 pm

ttlkbs wrote:I'm not familar with Ngee Ann but heard a lot abt TKSS, almost good comments. Of course it is better to go to a sec sch with afflication to a JC but if DS's result is no good, then we've limited choices. So far, DS's form teacher has nvr mentioned St Hilda to the children.
I suppose u're refering to Temasek Sec? Yes, quite rowdy. Some students will just gather & sit at the void deck as though having picnic. I did reprimand them once when i saw them dirtied the place.


hhaa, i doubt there is a school in Singapore where all the students are well behaved, unless the students are programmed to behave in a specific manner. even top schools students like RI RGS HCI also misbehave sometimes :)

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby ttlkbs » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:34 pm

koguma wrote:hhaa, i doubt there is a school in Singapore where all the students are well behaved, unless the students are programmed to behave in a specific manner. even top schools students like RI RGS HCI also misbehave sometimes :)


i don't mean this is the only sch that has rowdy students. of course there are many others including those elite sch. otherwise i won't include Temasek as one of my choices.

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby AZWildcat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 pm

ManU123 wrote:My younger brother 6 choices:
1. Victoria
2. Dunman High
3. Anglican High
4. Chung Cheng High
5. Tanjong Katong Sec
6. Temasek

His results quite good. :lol:


The 2nd choice is not logical. If your younger brother cannot make it into his 1st choice Victoria, he will not be able to make it to Dunman High which has higher COP.

AZWildcat
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection