Elite vs Neighbourhood Sec Schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Postby daisyt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi insider, thanks for sharing. I feel that $3K is really too much. I fully agree with your saying "learn values" and I feel that there are many ways a child can learn, not necessary to spend this much for an immersion programe.

I show my girl (12) this thread and I told her, if this thing happen, I would not pay $3K for it too.

I hope this elite girl's school is not the "N...." one. :?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby carebear » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 pm

If you look from another point of view. Your daughter being from an elite school will know children from presumably elite background. That may help in future, who knows right?

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby onhindsight » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:14 am

Hi insider and daisyt,
Completely agrees with both of u. 3k, can feel a whole family with balance.
I thought those are supposed to be subsidise by the school or moe?
Did the school explain how that got to 3k?
:x

onhindsight
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:42 am

Haha ... I have heard a lot about how much peoples spent on "prom night" too. $500 for a dress ... :shock: I don't understand why must school organise prom night at sec 4, I feel its too early for them. Anyway its suppose to be a farewell gathering, play bowling together, go for campfire, have a day picinic at the beach ... why must prom night ? Still scratching my head ....

insider, its not a matter of we are old or cannot catch up .... I am not old, still young .... haha :D :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shine » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:38 am

During my time, we had our Sec 4 "prom night" at the school hall, with some performances and makan. Cheap and good...

shine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sashimi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Insider - you seem to have a very perceptive and sensible daughter, congratulations!

I can't believe what I'm reading. It's clear that her principal is the type who is more interested in KPIs than education. Tsk tsk tsk.

I personally think that age 15 is too young to be able to appreciate Europe's deep history and diverse culture. She may actually enjoy touring Europe more when she's older.

Since I am into Japanese lang/culture myself, I support her interest in that. :) In fact, precisely because she is interested, she should go on.

Lastly..... the thing about snobs is that they always know less than they think they know; and they like to attract more attention than they are truly worth. I hope your daughter can mentally immunize herself against the hot air and loud noises snobs like to make, and achieve her own heights for her own sake. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fairy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 am

insider wrote:
sashimi wrote:
I can't believe what I'm reading. It's clear that her principal is the type who is more interested in KPIs than education. Tsk tsk tsk.

I have a lot of ‘controlled grouses’ against ‘elite’ school (or the overall education system here as a whole). Even I find their so-called CCA is a hoax. It is very difficult for one to get into the CCA of their choice if they have no prior formal training. Before being ADMITTED to a CCA, kids have to go through ‘audition’ and during the audition, her school picks only the best (usually those with prior formal training in that area. For example, if you pick bowling, only the top scorers will be selected and the rest out the doors).

When my daughter is stressed, she will draw. Below shows her favourite Japanese rock band (Gazette) that she drew on her bedroom’s wall when she was 14 (that painting took her 14 or 16 hours to complete after her sec 2 exams).

She has no formal training in art and all are self learnt through practice and reading art books (what kind of paint/brushes/paper weight, etc. BTW, I am an idiot when comes to art.). She went for the ‘audition’ for the Art Society in her school in Sec 1. She wasn’t selected. According to her, she was unable to pass the ‘theory’ part of the audition (don’t know what kind of theory test but maybe on names of tool, etc). She went for the musical instrument audition (can’t remember which musical instrument), she also not selected. She came back and told me she understood the CCA selection procedure liao and she's not going to waste time and will see which society has no people and then she will just go to that society. She ended up in the Chinese Speech and Drama – a society that few people want (but I don’t mind).

I heard as long as it is an ‘elite’ school, their CCA admission criterior are the same, coz these schools will be facing each other in competitions and they have to fight for first to score various awards and yes… for the purpose of KPI…

I loath the local school system. All my kids will head for overseas for their tertiary education (I am working hard to save money and they have to work hard to get scholarships). Education systems here churn out a lot of squared people. Me no like. (qualifier: not all are squared but many are so).

I fully understand how you feel. My kids studied in a neighbourhood primary school before being transfered to an elite primarty school. Those things you mentioned ranging from $$$ to CCA selections are also true in elite primary schools. Besides, when it comes to monetary contributions from parents, be it co-payments, donations or etc., the 'expectations' of the school is quite high. My observation is that the school is so used to the wealthy/high-profile backgrouds of their students' families, they forgot there may be some students who come from 'non-wealthy/non high-profile' backgrounds. My kids have class/schoolmates with MPs, University professors, lawyers, doctors and other highfliers as parents. There are so many other things regarding elite schools I can bring up here but I shall practise restraints and stop here. Don't know if I should be 'happy' or sad; my elder child will be joining another elite sec school.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi insider,

Care to share which elite school your daughter is from ? Have heard many such expensive "prom night" stories from mothers with daughters. How about the boys' schools ? Anyone has any stories to share ?

Sometimes it's sad to hear that the old students from the school will not want to send their own children back to the same school in the future. The education landscape has changed so much in the last 10, 20 years. With the school ranking, independent / autonomous status of schools, newly appointed high flier principals, etc, it is no wonder that the school's overall performance now takes a higher priority than the students' interest in the individual subject. Sad ! :cry:

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:10 pm

/quote/ She ended up in the Chinese Speech and Drama – a society that few people want /unquote /

OK, I guess its should not be the "N ..." elite girls school and I hope its not because my girl put it as her first choice. Insider ... PM me if you can ... I am worried ... Thanks

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jam.2008 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:52 pm

insider wrote:
daisyt wrote:/
OK, I guess its should not be the "N ..." elite girls school and I hope its not because my girl put it as her first choice. Insider ... PM me if you can ... I am worried ... Thanks

I gathered that most elite schools have similar activities as if trying to compete who is organizing the most elaborate/expensive event/etc. Heard RGPS kids went Japan for their immersion program (yet to fish out how much each child paid for that). If primary schoolers went to Japan, I wonder where RGSS girls went to...

I think you should have a feel of your child’s character, whether she is or is not easily being influenced type. I don’t mind putting kids in front of challenges to see how they react and if need to, guide accordingly. Common topics of the girls in my daughter’s school include branded stuff (the latest LV/Chanel wallets/bags), spa treatments, which push up bra gives you the best curve (push up bras for 15 / 16 years old??), how to ‘buy’ a seat in an IB school (for those rich but couldn't make the grade), etc.

Growing up can be a painful process. The kids just have to struggle along the way to differentiate the rights from the wrongs (base on personal values) and learn accordingly.

Eh .. my daughter is in RGPS , P6 , this year. I am not aware of any immersion trip to Japan. My daughter went to Sarawak for her graduation trip, cost her $700+.

Ah , may be the immersion trip to Japan is for the gifted classes.

Anyway, for my daughter's six years there, the school has not asked for donation very often, just two or three times. (Mainly in P5 and P6 , because the school is builidng a bigger hall, or a sport hall, can't remember which)

In fact, the school paid for them to take the UNSW tests.

jam.2008
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection