Shall I appeal to MOE to check PSLE results?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Shall I appeal to MOE to check PSLE results?

Postby mellette » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 am

hi parents,
My son got A* for maths, A for English and A for Science , MT exempted and returned an aggregate of only 230 , whereas a class mate of his with the same results has an aggregate of 244..

Can anyparents enlighten me if there can be indeed a calculation error? the difference is just too wide ..my elder son who set for the PSLE last year had exactly the same As and returned with 244

What could be the lowest points given to an A* and A..

Should I appeal to the Ministry to recheck?

Thanks vm
Desperate parents

mellette
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Shall I appeal

Postby jtoh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:35 am

mellette wrote:hi parents,
My son got A* for maths, A for English and A for Science , MT exempted and returned an aggregate of only 230 , whereas a class mate of his with the same results has an aggregate of 244..

Can anyparents enlighten me if there can be indeed a calculation error? the difference is just too wide ..my elder son who set for the PSLE last year had exactly the same As and returned with 244

Thanks vm
Desperate parents

It's possible that your son scored low As and A* in his subjects, whereas his classmate scored high As and A*. If you are doubtful of the accuracy of the results, send in an appeal to MOE. I think you have to seek the endorsement of the school to do this.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Shall I appeal to MOE to check PSLE results?

Postby pecalis » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:51 am

mellette wrote:hi parents,

Thanks vm
Desperate parents

A is from 75-90. A* is from 91 onwards. So 75 and 90 are both As' but very far apart. I agree tt it's likely low As. However, if this is bothering you, you can check with moe via the sch - some fees of around $48 to be paid.

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby N3SKiasu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:06 am

From past experience, I have come across children though scoring A for all subjects, however their scores ranged from 205 to 230, so it is really depends on whether it is a High A or Low A as the others have mentioned.

You can appeal to SEAB by paying a fee per subject (through school), refer SEAB web page http://www.seab.gov.sg/. I understand that the report will be sent to school for you to collect. I have a friend sent in appeal as she was shocked on her DD score on a particular subject, though her child has done well overall. Eventually no change on scores (I think normally will not change). Anyway the child has secured a place school of choice via DSA. I think most importantly is your DS score quite close to his normal performance? If this is bothering you, may be check on a particular subject that he usually does well but grade turn out to be unexpectedly disappointing.

N3SKiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mellette » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:07 am

A is from 75-90. A* is from 91 onwards. So 75 and 90 are both As' but very far apart. I agree tt it's likely low As. However, if this is bothering you, you can check with moe via the sch - some fees of around $48 to be paid.[/quote]

Yes indeed, if an A starts from 75 and A* from 91, I reckon he should be getting in the region from 235 onwards at the very least.. not 230..
cos the 5-10 pts makes a big difference in the selection of schools. Dont wish to be penalised because of some MOE computation error and suffer the consequence.

Do I have to go back to his school to file the appeal?

Thanks vm

mellette
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Big fish » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:03 am

Hi

This reminds me of my results donkey years back. I had A*, A ,B , C and my score is 252. So I think it is really unnecessary to check.

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LOLMum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:33 pm

as indicated by the various posts, the range is pretty wide.

but go ahead and do a check for peace of mind. it is better to have a confirmed answer than "oh, if only i have check with moe ...." few months down the road.

cheers

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KiasiMum » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:14 am

I am thinking to check my son's Maths result. His very good in Maths, however only had an A. Anyone know how long does it take for MOE/School to revert on their response, considering that we have to submit the selection by 1st Dec ?

Has anyone so far tried this path and there has been changes to the T-score ?

Thanks

KiasiMum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby yongjianrong » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm

mellette wrote:A is from 75-90. A* is from 91 onwards. So 75 and 90 are both As' but very far apart. I agree tt it's likely low As. However, if this is bothering you, you can check with moe via the sch - some fees of around $48 to be paid.

Yes indeed, if an A starts from 75 and A* from 91, I reckon he should be getting in the region from 235 onwards at the very least.. not 230..
cos the 5-10 pts makes a big difference in the selection of schools. Dont wish to be penalised because of some MOE computation error and suffer the consequence.

Do I have to go back to his school to file the appeal?

Thanks vm

But I thought the A and A* varies for different subjects and years? Also, T-scores are used instead of raw score.
There are (3 A* 1A)s in my class with 250+, which is not possible to attain with just raw scores.
Last edited by yongjianrong on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yongjianrong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby yongjianrong » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:08 pm

KiasiMum wrote:I am thinking to check my son's Maths result. His very good in Maths, however only had an A. Anyone know how long does it take for MOE/School to revert on their response, considering that we have to submit the selection by 1st Dec ?

Has anyone so far tried this path and there has been changes to the T-score ?

Thanks

Could you elaborate more on the 2 words 'very good', how much does he usually get in school?

yongjianrong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection