Appeal to do higher mother tongue in Sec Sch

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Appeal to do higher mother tongue in Sec Sch

Postby sporemum » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:54 pm

If child is not in Top 10% cohort (but possibly within Top 15%) , didnt get A* for MT and didnt do HMT in primary school, but wishes to opt to do HMT in Sec School, is there any way to do an appeal to do HMT?

Anyone with experience on this?

is it advisable to let the child do HMT in this situation - since they nvr do HMT In primary sch, so wd there be difficulty coping?

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Appeal to do higher mother tongue in Sec Sch

Postby Hotspurs68 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 am

sporemum wrote:If child is not in Top 10% cohort (but possibly within Top 15%) , didnt get A* for MT and didnt do HMT in primary school, but wishes to opt to do HMT in Sec School, is there any way to do an appeal to do HMT?

is it advisable to let the child do HMT in this situation - since they nvr do HMT In primary sch, so wd there be difficulty coping?

Hi,

Might not be a good idea because my daughter usually do quite well for MT and still found it tough to excel in HMT. I am not a strong advocate to pushing beyond their means. However, if your child really wants it, I believe you can appeal to the school in which he or she is posted to. that is what i was told.

Hotspurs68
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Appeal to do higher mother tongue in Sec Sch

Postby sporemum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 am

Hotspurs68 wrote:
sporemum wrote:If child is not in Top 10% cohort (but possibly within Top 15%) , didnt get A* for MT and didnt do HMT in primary school, but wishes to opt to do HMT in Sec School, is there any way to do an appeal to do HMT?

Hi,

Might not be a good idea because my daughter usually do quite well for MT and still found it tough to excel in HMT. I am not a strong advocate to pushing beyond their means. However, if your child really wants it, I believe you can appeal to the school in which he or she is posted to. that is what i was told.

Thanks! Yup, i am also not that sure abt switching, she thinks her languages are her strengths (though English is stronger of course) and I do agree with her on that, only qn is whether is it strong enough to merit a switch to HMT. When u get an A for PSLE chinese u dont know how high an A is it, since the range can be quite wide. Of cos the dangling carrot that needs to be weighed agst is that of being able to free of MT in her JC years (ok ok that is really 4 yrs down the road, but thinking ahead...)

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection