What happen on 1st day of sec school?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

What happen on 1st day of sec school?

Postby Zann » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi all,

Is it neccessary for parent to go to sec 1 child's school on 1st day? How is it going to be like usually, or depend on the school?

BTW, Merry Christmas to all!

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: What happen on 1st day of sec school?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Zann wrote:Hi all,

Is it neccessary for parent to go to sec 1 child's school on 1st day? How is it going to be like usually, or depend on the school?

I think I would be embarrassed if I see my parents lurking around my secondary school on my very first day there :D .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: What happen on 1st day of sec school?

Postby Zann » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:43 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Zann wrote:Hi all,

I think I would be embarrassed if I see my parents lurking around my secondary school on my very first day there :D .

That is why I thought unless really needed, don't go along. Any experienced parents, would appreicate your sharing.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jzapple » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:23 pm

I am sure the children are big enough to fend for themselves .

jzapple
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Misty » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Schools will definitely have planned out lots of orientation activities for the kids to bond with their new classmates during the first few days.

I am sure by sec 1, the kids will want to be left to enjoy themselves away from the prying eyes of their parents. So no, I am sure parents do not need to follow their kids to school on the first day of their secondary school lives.

Misty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lizawa » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Zann,

My son has orientation for today and tomorrow, 0730 - 1700. And he only wants me to drop him off, no sending him to the hall what so ever. And he will take the public bus home himself, no need to pick him up. That's what he has requested.

So I guess, that's it, it's time that they learn to be independent. :)

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BeadingFantasy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 am

4 years ago when my son got into St Andrew Sec, I just drop him off in school everyday (just for 2 days) cos the jam outside the school is real bad!

Mummy was worried as he's the only boy from Holy Innocent Pri to St Andrew Sec .....

12 or 13 years old, they are growing up and need breathing space for themselves. Mummies give your children a break !

BeadingFantasy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Zann » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 am

lizawa wrote:Hi Zann,

My son has orientation for today and tomorrow, 0730 - 1700. And he only wants me to drop him off, no sending him to the hall what so ever. And he will take the public bus home himself, no need to pick him up. That's what he has requested.

Hi Lizawa,

Welcome back! :D

Care to share whether your son will be home alone after school from this Friday onwards, if so, do you have to make arrangement to ensure his self-discipline at home.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:28 am

Zann wrote:
lizawa wrote:Hi Zann,

Hi Lizawa,

Welcome back! :D

Care to share whether your son will be home alone after school from this Friday onwards, if so, do you have to make arrangement to ensure his self-discipline at home.

Hi Zann,

Yes, he will be home alone after school. Not sure how many hours he will have at home each day before I get back, but he has promised me that he will not play computer games and watch the TV before he finishes his homework for the day :lol: So, I shall wait and see if I need to "lock" up the computer and TV sets.

I guess, at least for the 1st few months, we still need to monitor their progress in school. P6 to Sec 1 is a great jump. Need to be around to give them whatever support they need.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Lizawa, We are in the same boat ...
:lol:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection