FOUNDATION & STANDARD MATHS

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

FOUNDATION & STANDARD MATHS

Postby 3angelmonstermum » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 am

HELP! Need to know the difference in Foundation & Standard Maths and how it will affect the marks in PSLE. :?
Teacher suggest that Daughter goes to foundation Maths for P6 next year.
Any suggestions?
Can anyone suggest a good one-to-one tutor?
Thanks! :?:

3angelmonstermum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MoonFlower » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi,

I just share what I know. For foundation maths they do lesser topics at p6. Also understand that foundation maths usually the child will be falls in the situation of choosing between express/normal or normal. Maybe you can call yr dd's maths teacher to find out more. hope this helps.

Standard maths topic for p6
Algebra, Geometry,Nets and Solid Figures,Fractions,Ratio,Percentage,Speed,
Circles,Area and Perimeter,Volume, PieCharts

Foundation maths topic for p6
Fractions,Decimals,Percentage,Area and Perimeter,Geometry,Pie Charts

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3angelmonstermum » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks Moonflower!
Will definitely request a meeting with both the principal and maths teacher.
Doing all I can to help but I "suck" in maths too...
so pretty helpless now :stupid:

3angelmonstermum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MoonFlower » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm

3angelmonstermum wrote:Thanks Moonflower!
Will definitely request a meeting with both the principal and maths teacher.
Doing all I can to help but I "suck" in maths too...
so pretty helpless now :stupid:

Ya check with the school and see what is better for yr gal. Maybe sometimes she just need a bit more practise to be better. If you feel she needs help quickly find her a tutor. if going to group need to be fast as maybe not vacancy, depend on yr gal's learning style. For me, my ds can't do 1 to 1. Good luck to you and yr gal. Jia you...........

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: FOUNDATION & STANDARD MATHS

Postby kancheongmum » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

3angelmonstermum wrote:HELP! Need to know the difference in Foundation & Standard Maths and how it will affect the marks in PSLE. :?
Any suggestions?
Hi 3angelmonstermum

I attended the talk by the school of my son 2 years ago. The reason they have foundation courses is because they dropped the streaming at P4 EM1, EM2 and EM3. So those who did not achieve 50% after the final exam at P4 will be asked to take the subject at foundation level. However we were advised if possible not to let our children do their subjects at foundation level. We were advised even one subject at foundation level, it is not possible to go express in secondary school. I do not know why her teacher suggested that she go for Foundation Maths at this point. Did she fail her final exam for Maths? You should meet the teacher and find out more. Ask the teacher the how difficult the paper is, the performance of the whole cohort, how the whole class perform. You should also find out more from your daughter the reason she did badly. Is the teacher the problem, lack of understanding of the topics. You should also look at the past results from P3 onwards. Most of the basic concepts are taught and reinforce over the years. You have to take action now PSLE 2011 is 10 months away. Holiday is a good time to catch up. All the best

kancheongmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carmen21 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:03 pm

My DD failed her maths by one mark during SA1 but school still let her study standard maths in P6 next year. I got a shock after reading this post. Can't imagine the consequences if she's being sent to study foundation maths. Really need to work very hard to push up her maths result.

carmen21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tisha » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:31 am

To cut down future education choices for a child at the tender age of 10(P4) really sound sad to me. Many are playful at that age. Many are late bloomers too.
3angel please try to see where your child is losing marks in maths. there could be variuos reasons, transformation error, calculation error, understanding the problem, weak in concept etc. Once you recognise the problem, you can make the effort in the right direction. We as parents always want the best for our children. Good luck.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Pen88n » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:59 pm

3angelmonstermum wrote:HELP! Need to know the difference in Foundation & Standard Maths and how it will affect the marks in PSLE. :?
Any suggestions?

Suggest you engaged the principal, subject HOD and teacher to discuss about this. Taking any subject in Foundation is a step not to be taken lightly and should only be done if the kid is really struggling with the subject and not able to make the mark at all. It affects the kid's future in getting into express stream, and ability to keep up with the secondary school demands on the basic subjects.

Please quickly get a Maths tutor for your DD (sori but I do not know any) and make full use of this hol to brush up and catch up. Good luck!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby koguma » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:10 am

Any suggestions?

Just my thoughts.

My nephew who is in P4 this year struggle with Chinese, scoring a low of 30++. However the teacher didn't ask him to do foundation Chinese. I know of some students scoring as low as 20++ but still didn't ask to do foundation level for the subject.

Since your daughter is going to P6, the teacher must have access her ability to cope with the subject since P1 and made the recommendation. However, the parent still has the finally say.

If you think your daughter can cope, ask the school to give her another chance. I also think that you should discuss with the teacher to understand the root cause of your daughter poor result.

Not sure whether a student can go into Express stream if he/she does a mixture of Standard level and Foundation level subjects. But I personally think that you should let your daughter study in a pace that suits her.

For this year PSLE, there is a girl who did Standard Malay, Foundation English, Mathematics and Science. She scorecd a high 164 for her PSLE that allows her to get into NA stream. I know of a kid who did 4 standard subjects but only score 152 and eventually choose to go NT. Hence doing foundation level is not really a bad thing.

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/f ... udent.html

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MoonFlower » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 am

from my understanding, school will have the final say.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection