PSLE question

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

PSLE question

Postby KoalaMummy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:10 am

Hi, can i check with you guys : In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and Science but fail English or chinese, would he automatically go to Normal acad, even if he score A or A* for maths and science?

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: PSLE question

Postby KoalaMummy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm

KoalaMummy wrote:Hi, can i check with you guys : In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and Science but fail English or chinese, would he automatically go to Normal acad, even if he score A or A* for maths and science?


no reply...mmm, should i rephrase the question? In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and science but fail english or chinese, does it mean he fail PSLE since english is a core language? how about if he fail chinese but pass english? Is chinese considered a core language?

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby Jennifer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Why not contact MOE directly for clarification?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23239
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Re: PSLE question

Postby snowman.697 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm

KoalaMummy wrote:
KoalaMummy wrote:Hi, can i check with you guys : In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and Science but fail English or chinese, would he automatically go to Normal acad, even if he score A or A* for maths and science?


no reply...mmm, should i rephrase the question? In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and science but fail english or chinese, does it mean he fail PSLE since english is a core language? how about if he fail chinese but pass english? Is chinese considered a core language?


It all depends on the final t-score so this should not happen, but like the previous post said, it is still best to contact MOE for a definite answer.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: PSLE question

Postby jtoh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

snowman.697 wrote:
KoalaMummy wrote:
KoalaMummy wrote:Hi, can i check with you guys : In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and Science but fail English or chinese, would he automatically go to Normal acad, even if he score A or A* for maths and science?


no reply...mmm, should i rephrase the question? In PSLE, if a student does well in Maths and science but fail english or chinese, does it mean he fail PSLE since english is a core language? how about if he fail chinese but pass english? Is chinese considered a core language?


It all depends on the final t-score so this should not happen, but like the previous post said, it is still best to contact MOE for a definite answer.


What is considered a fail grade (t-score) for PSLE?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91



Postby snowman.697 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Uhh... i think it depends, but i remember something about it having to do with overall cohort performance and u-grades.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby tutormum » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:50 am

Heard that you have get an 'U' grade for a subject, it's considered failed. not very sure.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm
Total Likes: 21


Postby KoalaMummy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:48 pm

ok, just got a reply from MOE... after about a week... and had my question answered.

"We would like to share that one of the purpose of PSLE is to access pupil's suitability for secondary education and place them in one of the appropriate secondary school course, which will match their learning pace, ability and inclination. Progression to secondary level depends on the pupil's overall performance at the PSLE and not the performance of individual subjects."

It is good news for me. Hope others can benefit from this too.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Total Likes: 1


must not fail too badly....

Postby ifahh03 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:12 pm

hm...

attended a talk by the principal of Temasek Primary school and she explained that even if u do very well for some subjects, if u have 1 subject stated as UNRATED (i think this is very bad marks, maybe less than 20 or so), the child will fail PSLE.

So, the subject that the student fail, the marks cannot be too low.

This suprised me too, i thot, if the other marks can pull the child, it should be ok. Principal stressed this a few times.

ifahh03
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby JonC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 pm

This thread title is subject to interpretation.

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:55 pm
Total Likes: 18


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection