Affiliated Schools

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Will you put your affliated secondary school as first choice even if you did well for your PSLE?

Yes
25%
No, I will put other schools first
25%
Depends... pls state reason
50%

Total votes : 12

Affiliated Schools

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 am

Hi, can we have a poll : to show how many of you will put your affiliated secondary school as first choice even if you do very well for your PSLE?

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xxjustakidxx » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Hypothetically, there's a child agg. of 270 from SJIJ. He wishes to go to an IP school, and hence, would not choose SJI as his first choice. However, another child with agg. of 240 is also from SJIJ. He wishes to enter SJI, but stands a low chance of entering SJI without the affiliation bonus, which is only available if he states SJI as 1st choice. Hence, it depends on the situation.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasuest2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:19 pm

as xxjustakidxx puts it, "it depends" on the following:

what do you mean by "do very well for your PSLE"?
"very well" meaning I am sure to get my first choice whichever that is? i.e. 265 & above. If so, then I would ask myself:

do I want to go to an IP school?
if so, then do I want to do the IB (ACSI) or the "A"?
what kind of a school culture would I want to be immersed in?
chinese (HCI, NYGH) or english (RI, RGS)

It won't be a simple "YES" or "NO" kind of answer!

kiasuest2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

kiasuest2 wrote:as xxjustakidxx puts it, "it depends" on the following:

what do you mean by "do very well for your PSLE"?
"very well" meaning I am sure to get my first choice whichever that is? i.e. 265 & above. If so, then I would ask myself:

do I want to go to an IP school?
if so, then do I want to do the IB (ACSI) or the "A"?
what kind of a school culture would I want to be immersed in?
chinese (HCI, NYGH) or english (RI, RGS)

It won't be a simple "YES" or "NO" kind of answer!

Just saying, the chinese culture in HCI isn't really immense. I've been there for one year and none of us speak chinese to each other. We were told that for O level higher chinese RGS supposedly did better than HCI (???)

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm

xxjustakidxx wrote:Just saying, the chinese culture in HCI isn't really immense. I've been there for one year and none of us speak chinese to each other. We were told that for O level higher chinese RGS supposedly did better than HCI (???)

Heh, that's not a very good comparison. RGS is an all-girls school with a higher COP than HCI. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Affiliated Schools

Postby autolycus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:33 pm

KoalaMummy wrote:Hi, can we have a poll : to show how many of you will put your affiliated secondary school as first choice even if you do very well for your PSLE?

Non-hypothetically, I voted yes simply because that's what I did.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Affiliated Schools

Postby KoalaMummy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi all, thanks for the reply... after so long... but better late than never... :celebrate:

Anyway, 'does very well' means that your t-score is way above your affiliated schools COP. Just want to have a gauge how parents/student choose your sec sch if yours is an affiliated school.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection