Sec 1 in Top Schools - Is It a Bridge Too Far?

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Sec 1 in Top Schools - Is It a Bridge Too Far?

Postby Hotspurs68 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Dear parents,

It has come to my attention in my interaction with some parents that in some of the top schools, it is assumed that students should know the fundamentals of research such as bibliography and footnotes. Question is - are the students coached or that role is placed on the parents' shoulders?

Please enlightened.

thanx!!
:shock:

Hotspurs68
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Sec 1 in Top Schools - Is It a Bridge Too Far?

Postby autolycus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 am

Hotspurs68 wrote:Dear parents,

It has come to my attention in my interaction with some parents that in some of the top schools, it is assumed that students should know the fundamentals of research such as bibliography and footnotes. Question is - are the students coached or that role is placed on the parents' shoulders?

Please enlightened.

thanx!!

If that's what the school tells you, they are an incompetent bunch. You should complain to MOE. Students are supposed to learn such skills in school, and any school that tells you otherwise should be ruthlessly exposed for what they are — institutions that claim success for outsourcing the services they should be providing.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MdmKS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:32 am

The real kiasu parents who coach their kids ahead or sent their high ability kids for tuitions spoils the market. Gone are the day when parents are mostly uneducated, there was no such issue. It has become a bad cycle. If all parents don't coach, then we won't be moving in such fast pace and school will shoulder more responsibilities.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 am

Please enlightened.

thanx!!

When schools spends time focusing on other activities, projects, CCA more and more subjects are not covered from fundamental but rely on self-learning, tuition centre, parents or friends. That is no wonder why there are more and more tuition centre set up.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:22 am

autolycus wrote:

Please enlightened.

thanx!!

If that's what the school tells you, they are an incompetent bunch. You should complain to MOE. Students are supposed to learn such skills in school, and any school that tells you otherwise should be ruthlessly exposed for what they are — institutions that claim success for outsourcing the services they should be providing.

Hear! Hear!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Faun » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 am

My friend's dd sec1 in NYGHS this year. She's a self-driven girl and prefers to study on her own. My friend was lamenting how frustrated her daughter had been with her class the whole year. Her math teacher for example would ask the class if they already known a certain new topic. Most of them would say yes because they have tutors who have gone some chapters ahead. The teacher would then either skip chapter or become somewhat relax and crack jokes with the class. Her dd told teacher she needed the lesson and was told to see teacher after class another time. When she went to see teacher, teacher gave bad vibes.

It' easy to say to report the school/ teacher but most parents will usually bear with it afraid that reporting will cause their child to be marked. It is our local culture, kiasi. School parent- teacher assoc. are supposed to be the middleman for parents and school but they usually end up organizing activities like the housing estates RCs and singing the same tune as the
school instead of helping to give a voice to parents' concern.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dunnoleh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:09 am

when DD1 was in P6,
her maths teacher distributed a set of past year PSLE papers to her class and told the pupils to complete it.
This was in term 1, when more than 3/4 of P6 maths topics were not taught to them yet.
When the paper was marked and returned to them a few days later, more than 3/4 of the class passed!
DD1 was one of those who failed - she had no maths tuition,
only had mum/dad at home, who are no match for tuition teachers. :cry:

Life is hard our kids these days. :(

in hindsight, I really must thank that teacher for the wake-up call.
what to do? :?
Last edited by dunnoleh on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunnoleh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Otah » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 am

Have heard of parents who quick their job to become fulltime tutors for their kids.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby basics » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 am

Otah wrote:Have heard of parents who quick their job to become fulltime tutors for their kids.

Can the senior parents here please advise how much tuition their children receive? DD1 only has math tuition and with an intensive CCA and third lang, her days are quite full now.

basics
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby snowman.697 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:21 pm

dunnoleh wrote:This was in term 1, when more than 3/4 of P6 maths topics were not taught to them yet.
When the paper was marked and returned to them a few days later, more than 3/4 of the class passed!
DD1 was one of those who failed - she had no maths tuition,

My dad always told me to read on and to do self-study - this is to prepare yourself for uni. In uni, most will be self studying - one has to have the initiative to self-study and not let parents, school or tuition coach them along.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection