secondary school posting in 2011

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Postby 1st » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:25 am

Hi morning everybody,

My son score 244 in his PSLE this year 2010, very confuse & worry that whether we are making a right move for him.

He likes Nan Chiau High ( maybe also follow some of his classmates). As per his score, is it a waste if his score is about 13 points difference. Any suggestion please ?

Of course : also thinking
Nan Chiau High is a band 1 school
2012 SAP school

That why we end up agreed to put Nan Chiau High in the 1st choice. Do not know whether we are right.

My boy is a very active, strong character and also stubborn but smart, any school is suitable for him. Is SAP school better for him?

Thanks and appreciate.

1st
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sall » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:40 am

Since your son likes the sch n it is a reputable sch, you need not worry or feel confused. I think it's going to be very troublesome if you want to change his sch when posting results' out. Important thing is he likes the sch. COP is just a guide, should also look at the prog, performance of sch etc. :D

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby On the ball » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:22 am

The COP for NSHS last year was 231. Your son's score of 244 is so called 'way above' last year's COP. It may seems that it is 'waste' to opt for NCHS as 1st choice but ultimately besides your son liking for the school and may also be partially influenced by his peers, you must also have your own reasons for agreeing with his option. As long as you know what your own reasons are, (i.e. SAP in 2012 and band 1 school) you would have made the right choice for your son.
I had the same dilemma as you, my son scored 241 and I also opted NCHS as 1st choice. We have been to the open house, attended the briefing, toured the school and also spoken to a lot of other more ecperienced parents and we feel that there is a lot more than just meeting the COP. You have to look at the school's initiatives, directions, character building programme, etc...Obviously, you can say that other 'good' schools will also have these. It boils down to your son liking the school and he will need less time to adapt and he will be happy and can concentrate on other areas. If not he will be just dragging his feet every morning to school. surely, this is not something which we as parents wish to see.
For a school whose COP for the past years is around 230, the band 1 achievement definately does not come easy. I beleive with the school going SAP in 2012, everyone in the school will have to work very hard to at least maintain the current status if not better. The incoming Principal will have to ensure this. Let's hope that we can hear of more good news from the school year after year.

On the ball
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Secondary school posting

Postby 1st » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Thank you very much for Sall and On the ball.

Very appreciate for yours analysis, understand and feel more confidence now. Should go for it and hope all the best and cheer on 23rd Dec.

Thanks again
Sall
On the ball

1st
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: secondary school posting in 2011

Postby rosecy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:29 pm

1st wrote:Hi morning everybody,

My son score 244 in his PSLE this year 2010, very confuse & worry that whether we are making a right move for him.

He likes Nan Chiau High ( maybe also follow some of his classmates). As per his score, is it a waste if his score is about 13 points difference. Any suggestion please ?

Of course : also thinking
Nan Chiau High is a band 1 school
2012 SAP school

That why we end up agreed to put Nan Chiau High in the 1st choice. Do not know whether we are right.

My boy is a very active, strong character and also stubborn but smart, any school is suitable for him. Is SAP school better for him?

Thanks and appreciate.

hi

u may also wanna check with the school that in 2012 whether all levels are SAP or only 2012 sec1. this will have an impact on the programme/activities for your child.
if it is only the 2012 sec1 then they are the only ones to enjoy the additional SAP funding from MOE.

rosecy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 1st » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi rosecy
Tks for yr adv.
Ever checked with the staff, they told that 2012 will only admit express student. No more NT, NA. Existing will still remain.

Tks Again

1st
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby stsl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:27 am

Regarding the COP being wasted, me and DH at first also felt a bit wasted to let my DD choose her dream school of COP 240 while she got a 260. But second thought, we think that if she can perform well and most important thing she likes the school, then that is better to follow her choice. After all, the school she wants to go in is a good school too.

stsl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sall » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 pm

stsl wrote:Regarding the COP being wasted, me and DH at first also felt a bit wasted to let my DD choose her dream school of COP 240 while she got a 260. But second thought, we think that if she can perform well and most important thing she likes the school, then that is better to follow her choice. After all, the school she wants to go in is a good school too.

I am also in the same situation, dd's score is 19 points above COP of her dream sch, but we like the sch and the prog offered . That's what matters most.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby INNOVATE » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:50 pm

For those whose T-score are way above the school's cop, must strive to be among the tops of the entire cohort. Also excel in your ccas, win honours and aim to assume a leadership position in sec 3.

If you can do all the above, you are in a better situation than being posted to a better school.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby WeiHan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 pm

sall wrote:
stsl wrote:Regarding the COP being wasted, me and DH at first also felt a bit wasted to let my DD choose her dream school of COP 240 while she got a 260. But second thought, we think that if she can perform well and most important thing she likes the school, then that is better to follow her choice. After all, the school she wants to go in is a good school too.

I am also in the same situation, dd's score is 19 points above COP of her dream sch, but we like the sch and the prog offered . That's what matters most.

But having a t-score 20 points higher than the COP of the schools isn't rare, take for example a boy who score 275 who chose HCI, for example, his score will be 18 points above the school COP. And I am very sure, it is quite common even in schools like RGS (and RI) and Nanyang. The question is that once your score is above certain percentile, your score will be significantly higher than most people.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection