S1 POSTING RESULTS .. SO DISAPPOINTING ......

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

S1 POSTING RESULTS .. SO DISAPPOINTING ......

Postby concernmum_ps » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:52 am

I was so disappointed with the whole system of posting.. my son got 183 this year and we optred for a school that has a cut-off point of 180 previously as 1st choice. However, when the posting result was out yesterday, he did not get into his 1st choice , but 6th choice. I was shocked and called up the school and was told that their next year cut off is 194 ! ! How can there be such disparity in grades and what's the point of giving us a guideline when the disparity is so great ! !...

I just felt so 'cheated' .... :x

( The school I mentioned is in the East )...

concernmum_ps
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Disappointment in posting

Postby Bear.w.me » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:09 am

Like everything else in life there are ups and downs.

Please do not be despair.

The most important thing to attend to now is to get your son registered. Ensure he has a good buddy and move on.

Things may seem like hopeless or system is against you right now...however, please realise that your son needs you to be strong beside him.

Everyone who has passed PSLE can be proud of themselves.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:39 am

From 180 to 194, its a big increase. Can there be any mistake somewhere? Did you call MOE to ask?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: S1 POSTING RESULTS .. SO DISAPPOINTING ......

Postby koguma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:30 am

concernmum_ps wrote:I was so disappointed with the whole system of posting.. my son got 183 this year and we optred for a school that has a cut-off point of 180 previously as 1st choice. However, when the posting result was out yesterday, he did not get into his 1st choice , but 6th choice. I was shocked and called up the school and was told that their next year cut off is 194 ! ! How can there be such disparity in grades and what's the point of giving us a guideline when the disparity is so great ! !...

I just felt so 'cheated' .... :x

( The school I mentioned is in the East )...

It is possible if many students apply to that school, or the school cuts down on the number of NA class, or more people scoring better results than your son, etc.

Look at the positive side, at least you get into a school of your choice. It is better than those that get posted to a school not within their choice, and worst far away from where they stay. It does happen.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby civic6228 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:19 pm

I would understand that you are disappointted but I do not think that you are cheated....

The system is like economics .... supply vs demand.... last year COP was only a guide and noone can gurrantee that it will stay the same year after year. Too bad that the 1st choice school was popular this year which resulted on the increase in the COP.

Noone has cheated you....

civic6228
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MooMoo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:58 pm

concernmum_ps, I'm sorry to hear that. As others had said, you need to move on and encourage your DS to work hard in the sec school assigned. The COP is not easy to predict and you have already done your best.

MooMoo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: S1 POSTING RESULTS .. SO DISAPPOINTING ......

Postby tankee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 pm

koguma wrote:It is possible if many students apply to that school, or the school cuts down on the number of NA class, or more people scoring better results than your son, etc.

Look at the positive side, at least you get into a school of your choice. It is better than those that get posted to a school not within their choice, and worst far away from where they stay. It does happen.

:goodpost: well said :celebrate:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby concernmum_ps » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi, thanks to all who have written... yes, the school has cut down their number of NA classes ... ( from 3-> 2 classes, just learned from the school a while ago )
oh... if I've known earlier, I wouldn't have wasted my 1st choice in that school. :(

Well, as what some of you have mentioned, life must go on and I know my son needs my encouragement and support for him... regardless of which school he is posted to ...

On the hindsight, maybe there should be a system for schools to know, in advance, of this possibility of reduction of classes which does affect the COP drastically. With such info, parents like us will then be able to make wiser choices in the school selection for our kids, in future. :idea:

concernmum_ps
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pixiedust » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Sorry to hear your situation but I agree with earlier poster you have done your best. Wish your son the best in Secondary school
塞翁失马,焉知非福.

concernmum_ps wrote:... yes, the school has cut down their number of NA classes ... ( from 3-> 2 classes, just learned from the school a while ago )
oh... if I've known earlier, I wouldn't have wasted my 1st choice in that school. :( ...

About this, shouldn't the secondary school post on their own website or something ? They must have made the decision about number of classes before the secondary school posting exercise and they should make known such decisions.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby koguma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:18 pm

pixiedust wrote:Sorry to hear your situation but I agree with earlier poster you have done your best. Wish your son the best in Secondary school
塞翁失马,焉知非福.

concernmum_ps wrote:... yes, the school has cut down their number of NA classes ... ( from 3-> 2 classes, just learned from the school a while ago )
oh... if I've known earlier, I wouldn't have wasted my 1st choice in that school. :( ...

About this, shouldn't the secondary school post on their own website or something ? They must have made the decision about number of classes before the secondary school posting exercise and they should make known such decisions.

I believed this is control by MOE. You may want to check with MOE on this.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection