GEP and DSA 2011

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

GEP and DSA 2011

Postby TREX8 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:36 am

Just reading the forum postings on 2010 psle results and school posting etc makes me very nervous and anxious ...

DD's in GEP Pri 6 in 2011. So thought of starting this thread to discuss on DSA and hopefully, can take some pressure off psle results and school posting...

Appreciate if parents who have previous experience with DSA for GEP kids could kindly share their experience.

At this point, appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on the following:

1. Is it true that there is separate DSA for GEP and mainstream kids? GEP kids can submit DSA applications in April? In that case, the SA1 would not be over yet, so kids use their Pri 5 GEP results? I have always the impression that DSA is in July/Aug, and kids need to submit their P5 and P6 SA1 results.

2. I understand that generally, DSA for GEP kids tend to be easier but somehow, RGS is very stringent even in granting DSA to GEP kids. A parent was saying that success rate is less than 50%. Anyone has experience to share? RGS is DD's top choice and I thought better to manage her expectations if the success rate is low so that she can take it better should she be rejected by RGS.

thanks in advance!

Have a wonderful Xmas and Enriching 2011.

PS: I've mentioned énriching'as this is how 2011 would be to me - my first PSLE journey with my child (DD's my first born). Praying that I would be a great companion in her journey and that I would not loose sight of the more important things in life as the pressure mounts.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:44 pm

1. Is it true that there is separate DSA for GEP and mainstream kids?

separate deadline may be, assessment is of course separate

GEP kids can submit DSA applications in April?

depends on individual schools

In that case, the SA1 would not be over yet, so kids use their Pri 5 GEP results?

some schools require P4 results all the way to P6 SA1 results; generally P5 results plus P6 SA1 result is needed

I have always the impression that DSA is in July/Aug, and kids need to submit their P5 and P6 SA1 results.

usually the closing date for DSA submission is end-May for GEP, and end June/1st week Jul for mainstream, to allow for SA1 results to come in. As GEP SA1 are uniform exam for all GEPpers in singapore, hence all GEPpers get their results at the same time, and usually earlier than mainstream, hence earlier closing date other parents please verify this
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:45 pm

book mark the website of the various DSA schools you have in mind, look for updates frequently so that you don't miss any date / info
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby r2010 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Thats a good idea to book mark.. : 8)

r2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TREX8 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Tks, verykiasu2010 for the information.

Thought of starting this discussion thread so that, besides tapping on the expertise of parents who have been through this, parents with GEP kids going for DSA this year can exchange information on open house dates, and other useful information.

Will certainly book mark the websites for the schools that we have in mind.

Hopefully DD's school will also be proactive in providing guidance and information.

verykiasu2010 wrote:book mark the website of the various DSA schools you have in mind, look for updates frequently so that you don't miss any date / info

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: GEP and DSA 2011

Postby sautille » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:35 am

TREX8 wrote:Just reading the forum postings on 2010 psle results and school posting etc makes me very nervous and anxious ...

DD's in GEP Pri 6 in 2011. So thought of starting this thread to discuss on DSA and hopefully, can take some pressure off psle results and school posting...

Appreciate if parents who have previous experience with DSA for GEP kids could kindly share their experience.

At this point, appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on the following:

1. Is it true that there is separate DSA for GEP and mainstream kids? GEP kids can submit DSA applications in April? In that case, the SA1 would not be over yet, so kids use their Pri 5 GEP results? I have always the impression that DSA is in July/Aug, and kids need to submit their P5 and P6 SA1 results.

Since your DD aims for RGS, you may wish to refer to this year's DSA process for RGS at http://www.raffles.sg/dsasec1rgs.html.
The DSA application for RI/RGS this year was from April to early July. There was no problem including SA1 results in the DSA application before the deadline.

2. I understand that generally, DSA for GEP kids tend to be easier but somehow, RGS is very stringent even in granting DSA to GEP kids. A parent was saying that success rate is less than 50%. Anyone has experience to share? RGS is DD's top choice and I thought better to manage her expectations if the success rate is low so that she can take it better should she be rejected by RGS.

My experience with RI this year is that GEP kids with overall average of >80% for 4 subjects (EL, MT (not HMT), Maths and Science, P4 to P6 (up to SA1)), exempted from GAT and passed an interview would normally be given Confirmed Offers.

Do note that HCI takes the marks for HMT and SS into consideration.

thanks in advance!

Have a wonderful Xmas and Enriching 2011.

PS: I've mentioned énriching'as this is how 2011 would be to me - my first PSLE journey with my child (DD's my first born). Praying that I would be a great companion in her journey and that I would not loose sight of the more important things in life as the pressure mounts.

All the best to your first DSA/PSLE journey. Mine this year is over...phew :D Next one will be 2 years later...

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: GEP and DSA 2011

Postby TREX8 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks, Sautille, for sharing your experience and information.

I spent last night going through the thread "All About Direct School Admission", starting from Jan 2010 and could almost feel the anxiety (while waiting for the letter/email from schools) and joy when the letter/email brought the desired news! This will probably mirror the journey that DD and I will be going through soon!

Learnt alot from the generous sharing by fellow KSP.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:26 am

TREX8, my answers are in blue:

There isn't a separate DSA for GEP, just that the RGS deadline for GEP students is earlier than that for mainstreamers. The interviews for GEP students also takes place before that for mainstreamers. In the event that a GEP student has to take the GA test, she will take it together with the mainstreamers in June. During the application process, you submit your P5 results first, then the P6 SA1 results as soon as that is available.

For GEP students, I would say that RGS' DSA selection criteria is more stringent than NYGH. In my dd's batch, almost everyone who applied to NYGH was offered DSA. The number of successful applicants at RGS was lower than NYGH, but still very good - more than 80% were accepted into RGS via DSA. I understand that the success rate for students from some other GEP schools was lower, about 50% as you mentioned.

Which school is your dd from?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hildangirl » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 am

If you chose the academic path for DSA, does the student have to apply separately for Eng, maths or MT?

hildangirl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:57 am

hildangirl wrote:If you chose the academic path for DSA, does the student have to apply separately for Eng, maths or MT?

some schools' DSA academic domain are further split into individual subject, some are simple sports or academic

so, it depends on the school of your DSA target
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection